1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tracy McGrady makes Hall of Fame on April Fool's Day (Rudy snubbed again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

can't believe he tried to put T-Mac anywhere near that Rockets run in the 09 playoffs, and T-Mac was so irrelevant with the Spurs that he might as well have not even been on the team

Richie_Rich, tinman and Zboy like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

T-Mac was Bobby Brown on the Spurs

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Feel free to be consumed by one person and one person alone.

I do not condone quitting and he did some bad there (although injured) but he never quit chasing for individual greatness.

HOF induction will be a testament.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Tmac was better than Kobe in his prime. Should have never came to Houston. Yao Ming clogged up the paint too much for him and our GM did a terrible job of surrounding him with perennial all-star talent like Rafer Alston, Chuck Hayes, Luther Head, Shane Battier, among others scoring sensations. Tmac would have been better off going to a team built for him exclusively like Harden is being handed right now.

Still my favourite player of all time though, Go Tmac!

Dopamine likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL! You guys keep incriminating him while defending him.

The bolded and underlined part was his other problem.

A selfish guy that threw everyone else under the bus when things didn't go his way.

Thank you for pointing it out!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

And still I don't think McGrady's jersey should be retired.

McGrady >>>>> Ariza

But is that your stance? A dunk, a regular season game, and a non record setting streak is enough to have a jersey retired?

I am a McGrady fan. I wanted him to succeed. Followed his career as a Knick hoping to see the TMac of old. I cheered for thr Spurs, so he could win his ring. I think he gave his body for this franchise (Tornonto game notwithstanding), which is why I'm happy for his hof induction...but I do not think he did enough as a Rocket to have his # retired. Maybe if they had a ring of honor, then yes definitely

Side note: I didnt think Yao deserved his jersey retired either

Zboy likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I never said that we should retire his jersey, I just disagree with u saying that Ariza has meant more to the Rockets than McGrady did. T-Mac reached heights that Ariza never will.

mickey_angelo likes this.
  8. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Yeah, bad example on my part.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a Rockets fan, when T-Mac got here I was excited we were going places..
    Turns out we went to the same place as before, first round exits. Actually one year, we didn't even make the playoffs.

mickey_angelo likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Seek help, Michael Jordan should never be in the same sentence as Tracy McGrady

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

These must be the limited edition first round exit jerseys of each team!

12. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

The Rudy snub is utter BS. I guess the level of salt from the championship years remains heavy even today and Rudy's legacy did not fit the narrative.

francis 4 prez and Deckard like this.
  13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Some of you guys are ridiculous with your hyperbolic bullshit.

So, he quit in part of a game. Big ****ing deal. I've seen players as great as Kobe, Shaq, and James Harden take off several plays in a row. IOW, QUIT. So, stop making it as if Tracy McGrady is the biggest quitter in the history of basketball. Just.. stop. He made a mistake, period. He's still a HOFer.

Tracy McGrady was one of the greatest players to ever put on a Rockets uniform. Due to injury, his lack of solid teammates (and injured teammates), and yes, somewhat because of his shortcomings, we did not enjoy the playoff success we should have. Same thing happened with Hakeem in the late 80s and very early 90s until he got some help. Same thing happened with Harden until we got Howard.

I have very few bad memories of McGrady and a lot of great ones. As a Rockets fan, I am thrilled that he is in the Hall of Fame, just as I am for Hayes, Malone, Olajuwon, Drexler, and Barkley, and Murphy. The argument for who else deserves to be there is for another day. Today is for celebrating Mr. McGrady and this enormous accomplishment.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

In Jordan's case retiring is the same as quitting, it's not like he was old when he retired the first 2 times. If he was so intense and team oriented how come he retired? If the fire in him was so big then how come he walked away from bball two times?

He quit on his team, pure and simple. When he left its like Bulls suddenly lost a franchise player, then he comes back a year later lile nothing happened. Isn't that quitting for a year? Lol because its MJ it's "retiring" not quitting. What does MJ's success have anything to do with quitting? Having success doesn't make you immune to quitting Kobe quit on his team against PHX how many titles and awards does he have?

MJ has his circumstances but Tmac has his too, he quit because he was playing on a bum kmee and the Rox were blown out, the "quitting" was symbolic as even if Tmac had played hard nothing would have happened but I guess that doesn't matter to some people. Its not like Tmac wanted to leave the team in fact he got surgery done just so he wouldnt be traded.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what? He's still in the 2nd round though so why are you guys saying he never had playoff success?

The reality is you are selectively using context to discredit Tmac. If you use context you will see why Tmac never won a playoff round. How many superstars can win against the Utah Jazz with Okur, Boozer, Kirilenko, Dwill and a 3 nd D guy? OTH Yao was always injured except for 1 season so Tmac had Juwon Howard, 40 yr old Deke, Rafer Alston and Shane Battier who was famous as the No Stats Allstar aka doesn't shoot score or rebound. Only the very top superstars like MJ or Lebron will win a series like that I doubt guys like Kobe, Wade etc can do it.

People around here act like Tmac sucked in the playoffs every time, but the reality is his team was just too sucky to win in the West against Brandon Roy/LMA in portland and the Jazz big 3 with Dwill,Boozer,kirilenko. His own performance was pretty good, thats why people like you need to hate on his team record to say he sucks. Dude was the centerpiece of 22 game win streak and he sucked? BS.

Dopamine likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

As a starter, he never had a playoff series victory

but if that spurs t-mac gives you joy, heavens be. I hope you dance and pop bottles

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Jordan gave Chicago 6 championships

What did Tmac give the Rockets?

No Tmac quit and went to a bunch of different teams, Jordan only played for 2, and the second team he was the GM he signed himself.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

The 22 game winning streak was a showcase for Rick Adelman's motion offense and Daryl Morey's talent acquisitions like Carl Landry and Scola and Aaron Brooks.
    Tmac did not play in all 22 games.

McGrady played about 16 years , say all his teams sucked was incorrect for playoff success.
    Toronto won a playoff series after he left and so did the Rockets when he was absent and left the heavy duties to Yao and Ron Artest

Look I get it, the world was against Tmac because Tmac should be the exception in the all of the years of NBA history, somebody cursed him like a Stephen King novel

Nah bro, he had no playoff success and you are trying to justify his failures
    [​IMG]

McGRADY - "IF WE DON'T GET OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND, IT'S ON ME"

#98 tinman, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not get those negative folks here.

The city of Houston adds another HOFer. What is there not to like? He is part of the All 2000er decade team.

He was part of the streak.

He wasn't the defender he was in Toronto or the electrifying guy that took a no name squad to the playoffs in Orlando. (He was still explosive in his first year)

If you calm down from being disappointed, angry, the positive clearly outweigh the negative.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...lobo-headline-2017-basketball-hall-fame-class

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clearly yes if he wanted to he could be valuable to the team, being a defender in Toronto, doing everything in Orlando, and at times deferring to Yao Ming here scoringwise.

The HOF induction is for eternity. You can mock him all you want.