1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant to Warriors (Two years, $54.3M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 4, 2016.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

dont know what is more sad...The Warriors blitzing the Thunder 3 times this season...and even without Durant...it isnt a fair matchup.
    Yea I dont have respect for Durant at all...but the Thunder clearly are just an OK team even with WB heroics...

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dwight's been to the finals by himself, how's he a mental headcase when the guy has achieved success in his career? NBA finals as the only star on his team is a mental headcase? WCF in the West is a mental head case? Maybe you hate Dwight but the reality is different from your point of view. Dwight is a winner who has gotten results in both Orlando and Houston, LA is the only team he sucked in but that was also because he was injured. So what if Houston went from 8th seed to 3rd seed when he left? Dwight was also the guy responsible for the WCF appearance, which weighs more WCF or 3rd seed in the regular season? To act like he did nothing but drag the team down during his tenure on the Rockets is just dumb and plain wrong. And all you have to do is just take a quick look at Atlanta now to see Dwight isn't the problem, FYI he's making just 2M more than Ryan freaking Anderson. That's not exactly superstar money. What, not having a championship ring is a crime now? Then what about Steve Nash, Yao Ming, Kevin Durant, Elton Brand, CP3, etc. etc. etc. I guess all these guys are losers because they couldn't get it done multiple times, some of them haven't even reached the NBA finals like Dwight has.

Kobe calls him soft but Kobe hasn't done jacksquat by himself. The only time he didn't have a HOF big man by his side he couldn't get past PHX and quit on his team. And that was with a team that included Caron Butler, Prime Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum when he wasn't a head case. Kobe is a good player but he is also extremely lucky to be drafted by the LA lakers when they had a great FO, they surrounded him with talent and the one time he didn't have a power team he cried and demanded a trade.

Maybe you don't care what Morey promised him, but Dwight obviously cared because he was the one being promised to. If somebody told you to work for them and then when you left your job and went there the terms and conditions wasn't what you were promised I bet you wouldn't be so nonchalant about it.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

No surprise here but...

Kevin Durant said that he plans on re-signing with the Warriors this summer.

"I haven't even thought about it that much, but I don't plan on going anywhere else," Durant said on a recent podcast. Four of Golden State's rotation players will hit free agency this summer: Durant, Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala, and Shaun Livingston. The Warriors will likely land in luxury tax territory by bringing back KD, Curry and Iggy. However, keeping the core together is obviously the plan. "I'm sure once the season is over with we can figure out that stuff, everybody, and I'm sure it will all work out for the best," said Durant.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Livingston will finally get his payday, elsewhere.

If they don't win a championship, I doubt Iggy re-signs for cheap. Even if they do, he still might leave for the highest bidder.

6. dmoneybangbang

It's pro sports.... duh KD. They won't love you at all when you go to their rival...

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lmao. This dudes such a tool. He broke their hearts and ****ed over their team and now hes the victim?

8. dmoneybangbang

Millennials? AmIrite?

[​IMG]

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hahaha

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Since Goldenstate doesn't have Durant's bird rights, you have to hope that they simply run out of money to resign their depth, in Livingston, Iggy, Zaza, Mcgee, etc.

They have

Green - 16.4
    Klay - 17.8
    Looney - 1.5m
    Jones - 1.3m
    McCaw - 1.3
    JT - .9m

That's 39.2m

Cap Holds
    Stephs - 18.1m
    Livingston - 10.9m

That's up to 68.2

Durant - 33m (new max contract - 10 year vet)

That hits the cap at 101m

They are already out of money and that doesn't include roster min charges, Zaza, Barnes, McGee, Iggy, West

Hopefully bad teams with cap space throw big money at these depth players, to gut their team

#1490 larsv8, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    slothy420, Pen15clubber and Deuce like this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

CK Johnson likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Warriors’ long-term Stephen Curry + Kevin Durant Plan

So it’s no surprise that the Warriors’ three highest-profile pending 2017 free agents — Curry, Iguodala and Durant (who signed a two-year deal with the Warriors last July with an opt-out this July) — all recently suggested to me that they plan to re-sign with the franchise this July.

The key mathematical part of this for the Warriors is Durant, who could seek the max of about $36 million for 2017-18. But the Warriors don’t have his Bird Rights, so they would have to shed a lot of money to create the cap space to fit such a salary, and that would include the renouncing of Iguodala and Shaun Livingston.

But if Durant is willing to take strictly a 20 percent raise from this season’s salary of $26.5 million up to $31.8 million, the Warriors would not have to fit him into cap space and then could use Bird Rights to re-sign Iguodala and Livingston above and beyond the cap.

“Haven’t even thought about it that much,” Durant said on the podcast. “But I don’t plan on going anywhere else.”

Next step: Iguodala. If he and Myers can nail down the salary numbers and length, and if Durant’s deal means the Warriors can maintain Iguodala’s Bird Rights, then this is basically a done deal.

In fact, an NBA source indicated recently that the only real open question now is the number of years.

“The people that need to know, they know the situation, and there’s not going to be any issue,” Iguodala told me on my podcast earlier this month.

So he’ll be back next season?

“I didn’t say that,” Iguodala said. “But Bob and I have conversations all the time about different scenarios and different things, not just about me, but about the rest of the team..

“So I don’t see it being a big problem at all. And here right now will probably be the best place.”​

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He'll only re-sign if they win the championship. Otherwise, he'll just sign with whoever beat them in the playoffs (Rockets?)

Pen15clubber likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think he resigns with the Warriors regardless, but would Durant really take 5 mil less? Especially if they don't win the championship?

Either way, it's good to know that they can't add anymore players(unless someone out there takes a drastic paycut). For better or worse, the current Warriors roster is likely the best team they can field over the next few years.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I'm still salty about this. **** you Durant. You should have went to Boston.

BigShasta likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is why I don't really get the "wait out GSW" strategy. I mean for teams like the Suns it doesn't matter anyway.
    But the Warriors are going to be a top team for the next 5+ years.
    KD is 28, Green is 26, Klay is 26, Steph is 28.
    Iggy is 33, but has only played 26 mpg the last 3 years, and wouldn't be asked to do more than that or what he's done for the next 3 years. (for random comparison purposes, Paul Pierce didn't play 26 mpg or less until he was 37 - not that Iggy is a Paul Pierce level player, just that he's been helped by the lower mpg earlier in his career).
    Put MLE, LLE and vet minimum players around that and its an odds on championship favorite for the next half decade.

Injuries will be their only real bug a boo.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

B-Bob and BigShasta like this.
  18. munco

munco Member

I wonder how many more good years Iggy has. Still looks really good out there but at 33 he's the old guy on that team and the next wave of stars like Giannis are here.

19. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Team play >>> Individual talent.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Have you seen Vince Carter play? He's still decent. Age is overrated.

If Boston landed Durant, they'd be #1 in the East still and would still get a top draft pick. Crazy.

Pen15clubber likes this.