1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

That's almost Otto Porter type of max money.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Rockets shout keep this team together. Resign Nene, trade trez for a late 1st round pick and then use all our cap space on Joe Ingles.

He's sneaky been one of the best defenders in the league this year and is also shooting 45% from three.

He's a very well rounded offensive player that would fit perfect in MDA offense, He's an underrated playmakers also.

He's basically a 7/3/3 guy in 23 min and that's playing in a system that ranks dead last in pace and his usage rate is under 19%.

I think if he came to Houston even if his playing time stayed at 23-25 min his numbers would double in scoring and assists. I could see him being a 13-14ppg with 5assist and 5 rebounds.

Bev/Lou
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/ingles
    Anderson/dekker
    Capela/nene

1st round pick
    Kyle Wiltjer
    Troy Williams
    Chinanu

This team is already borderline 60 win contender.

Add ingles and a late 1st round pick plus development from one of Wiltjer, Williams, chinanu and you have a team that is maybe the 2nd best team in the league to golden state and easily the deepest team in the league.

I like this look a lot plus Ingles is 29 so he fits with the age of the team and keeps us pretty flexible moving foward.

Fawkward and BigMaloe like this.
  3. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Why would someone trade a 1st round pick for Harrell?

4. dmoneybangbang

Joe Ingles is certainly worth a look but I agree with the other poster about Harrell. He is worth more to us than anyone else at this point.

I prefer Otto Porter and Hayward over Ingles obviously but he's intriguing. If the Jazz resign Hayward and we miss out on other FAs then Ingles is a guy on the radar.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I would rather have Hayward and porter also but porter is RFA and there's no way the wiz don't match, I just can't see a situation were they don't.

Hayward is my number one choice but I think it's going to be hard to make it happen salary wise but if we get wind he wants to be here we should do what we got to do to make it happen. He's a great fit next to harden in this offense.

If all it takes is shedding Lou will Ariza trez and maybe some of the young guys like Wiltjer chinanu Troy Williams to get in the max range for Hayward it's worth it.

Anymore than that and it's a lateral move imo. Hayward is a very good player but imo you don't gut your team for him. He's not a Kevin Durant MVP caliber player.

I guess it comes down to whether a deep team plus ingles and a 1st round pick is better than harden bev Capela and Anderson plus allstar level guy?

That's a tough question but part of me is leaving towards a deep team. I don't know if the superstar model with no depth is good enough to beat golden state in 7 games. Having a deep roster while not as sexy might be the only way.

6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Has Robert Covington been talked about in this thread at all? I was thinking about this the other day, just based on size and shooting skill he would help. But, Bleacher Report just published an article yesterday with metrics that rate him as the best defender at sf in the league. His 3 % is down this year, but open looks from Harden would change that. Guy is only 26 right now on a team that doesn't need a 3 and D guy as much as it needs to develop talent. I think he'd fit pretty great!

D-rock likes this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He really has improved significantly on defense and inexplicably lost his shot lol.

I think he understands his talent and limitations and is training to be a 3nD player. Has the shot worked on it enough to be above average. And once he got there started working solely on his defense. He's gotten there defensively now but lost his shot in the process.

Natural growth I believe where he has only been focusing on improving one thing each year. Like NBA 2k ignoring all attributes on 3pt shooting and ignoring everything else.

I think next year he will have his career year and peak for about 3 years or so. About a 37-38% 3pt shooter with good defense.

As for ingles I'm absolutely on board. He is a decent athlete although you can't tell by his old balding white dude bod. He's a lefty. Decent playmaker. Good defender. Elite 3pt shooter. Can score off the dribble. Fantastic in catch and shoot. Should be relatively cheap.

Utah has to resign Hayward and Hill. They have a couple youngsters coming up for extensions. They may decide to let him walk if the offer sheet is too high. I'm thinking 12-15per. He's a fan favorite over there so I hear and someone they absolutely don't want to lose.

D-rock and YaoMing#1 like this.
  8. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

sign him in case ryno injuries for short contract

#2788 elmotsangtt, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Like the team, but we need another impact piece and hopefully GSW has salary issues this offseason and loses a few key pieces (Livingston, McGee, Zaza and Iggy). Seriously I can't emphasize enough how much I need some crappy teams to throw big money at those players.

I would look to Chris Paul first, who is a prime candidate to be poached off the Clippers. You would need to dump Bev and Lou, but you could scrounge up 27 million and that would be an enormous upgrade for our Rockets. If that doesn't pan out, I would look to Gallo. I would look to dump just Lou, and you could clear about 20m, which is probably fair market value for him. I like Ariza, but Gallo would be so much more effective in those Harden dump offs than Ariza is, and would be an excellent stretch 4.

You also need to hope Nene comes back cheap, because he has been awesome, and we don't have his bird rights. You might have to convince him, hey, come back cheap and we will reward you next offseason.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Don't know if I want Paul when Bev has been great in his role and Paul is best with the ball in his hands. Getting an upgrade on the 3 (especially if it means bringing Ariza as a 7th man off the bench) would be huge.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, you want Paul. He is a top 7 player in the league.

BigggReddd and basketballholic like this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I'd keep this team together with the exception of Brown, and the 2 d-league pawns Murray just bought

Bev/Lou
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza
    Anderson/Dekker/Wiltjer
    Capela/Nene/Harrell/Chinanu

Rockets should have about 20 mil in cap space with the increase in next years cap.

Re-sign Nene 1/2yr 5/6 mil/yr

Add a 2nd rd pick with someone who can develop like Wiltjer and Chinanu or find a hidden gem vet type. I'd go for a future rotational PG when Lou gets a big contract from someone after the 2018 season.

I'd use the remaining cap space on a super-sub rotational guy who can be a threat on both sides of the court to play along with Lou, Gordon, Dekker, Nene, etc. I don't know the names out there but if I'm Morey I avoid the max-level star or pulling off a deal at this point. I have complete faith in Morey's analytical and human data on finding guys who fit the system like a glove whether it's acquiring someone via FA/Trade/Draft. Brilliant job building this roster and having the flexibility with the cap too just add more depth to a team with very little flaws.

JVG briefly quiped Houston should chase Doug McDermott yesterday

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

5 yrs ago MAYBE

edit: thought this was Paul George trolling

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I don't think Hayward leaves Utah but if he did I'd bet on Boston being his #1

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the Jazz are already set to lose Favors, i wouldn't be surprised if they'll trade him this summer...they did well without him and i'm not sure they want to spend big money on an a big PF with a lot of annoying injuries.

Overall they'll have to wait for Hayward though, if he stays i think they may consider Hill very important at this point, and even though they didn't reach an agreement few weeks ago, with Hayward staying i think they'll be forced to resign him for big money, Exum is definitely not ready.

Hood and Exum are both going to expire next year, and while Exum didn't show he's worth money (yet), Hood definitely did, and i guess they're going to keep him regardless of Hayward.

As for Ingles i'd say the same as for Hill, keeper if Hayward stays, gone if Hayward bolts...worth to consider he's also restricted btw, if they want to keep him, they probably will in the end since due to his age, i don't think someone is going to pay much and/or sign him to a annoying contract with player options etc...

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Noticed that. His contracts up at the end of the season. Given our style of play, think he'd be worth a look.
    Not sure what his D is like though.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Not a trade idea but food for thought.

I saw someone's ingles post and liked it . The subsequent discussion about depth was interesting .

Personally I favor depth , but how good is depth if Dantoni doesn't use it .

Mike has always been a short rotation kind of guy ( maybe this is roster driven)

The question I'm asking is that will Mike find time for 10 guys . He's tried to this year , but didn't stay with that experiment for very long ... Especially as the year winds down . Now most coaches probably tighten up the rotation come playoff time. But Mike did it a while ago .

I want depth , but you've got to play it , otherwise it's only useful in case of injury .

18. basketballholic

If we could get McDermott under the radar cheap that would be a great get. Hopefully OKC let's him walk. But I doubt it.

19. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Houston gets close to champion. Should morey uses the remaining money to buy a player who can have time to play, rather than buying Troy Williams just sitting in the bench. Houston cannot beat spurs and warriors. Houston still lack of a great player who can score and grab more rebounds. Houston just uses a few players for bench is unable to win

#2799 elmotsangtt, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I don't really know why, but I feel a Carmelo for Ryan Anderson trade this offseason. Melo plays the stretch 4, he'll only have 2 years left on his deal, and NY conceivably gets "younger" and can get away from a guy that clearly wants out.

We could throw in some BS to enhance the value on our side, but at this point, they're not getting a "godfather" offer for him. Who would realistically offer more than Ryno, one of Harrell/Decker, and a 2nd?

Is that a dumb trade? It doesn't help our interior defense (in fact, it definitely makes it worse) and Melo and Dan Tony don't really get along. But wouldn't you rather have Melo than Ryno?