1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas Raiders

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Los Angeles Daily News reports "depending on how things turn out" for the Raiders in Oakland this season, San Antonio could be a temporary home in 2018-19.

San Antonio was once bandied about as a possible permanent home for the Raiders, while the team offered to host them part time when they were exploring a move to Los Angeles. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could put the kibosh on even a temporary arrangement. Instrumental in the Raiders' move to Las Vegas, Jones wants as much of Texas to himself as possible.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's a really cool idea. They put about 60,000 people in Saints games a few years ago. I think Jerry would be more comfortable with it if it was just for 1 year. That's not a ton of time to get attached to a team and follow them in the offseason.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Jones was fairly supportive of the Texans' expansion, I think he's earned the right to "protect" his turf, such as it were.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the raiders played temporarily in San Antonio, that will not affect the Cowboys fandom in Texas.
    Everyone knows it's temporary . Nobody wanted to move in the Alamodome for this long. No one will move there .

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Please do it and change the name to the Banderas for the San Antonio Banderas'....!!

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Like Bob Costas running for president and picking Louis Mandylor as his running mate, or Ella Fitzgerald marrying Darth Vader, or having a shot of moderately priced vodka after rubbing one out.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whohoo you just gave 750 million dollars to a billionaire. You must be super pumped.

napalm06 likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

#148 tinman, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This will be great for Vegas, maybe not so good for the players. Too many temptations and ways to get into trouble in LV. As a fan? I'd love to have the option of attending a NFL game on Sunday right before I come home from a weekend trip in Vegas.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Wish I could say the same about the Chargers :(

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I was recently in San Diego, according to the Uber drivers they hate the Spanos and are happy that they are gone.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I disagree. It has to affect it in some way and it won't be positive. You'll have people purchasing Raiders jerseys especially if they are there for more than a year and make the playoffs. You'll have some amount of them continue to be fans after they leave for Vegas. 20 games in San Antonio for the Riders is a lot different than the handful they hosted for the Saints.

Oh man, It would be awesome if they split their games between San Antonio and Austin. I think they could fill a large portion of DKR which now allows the sell of booz. DKR has turf so you wouldn't need to worry about destroying the field. I would get tickets to every game. The packers played 2-4 games in Milwaukee for over 40 years so and those cities are twice as far from one another than San Antonio-Austin.

No, tourists in the form of a hotel tax gave 750 million to an owner that is near the bottom of the barrel in worth (A measly 500 Million :)). I don't know the laws in Nevada but in Texas it's illegal to raise a hotel tax to pay for something that doesn't promote tourism to compensate for the increased costs. Also, I would be super pumped if I was in Vegas and we got a NFL team. It's the most popular sport in America.

His reasoning is a bit much. I get it but come on... You're right about those games in Oakland. The Oilers had a game in 96 that only had an official attendance of 15,000 people. I don't think they would have more fans at the game in Oakland than the much smaller UNLV stadium which could sit 40,000 people. One of the problems I heard with the UNLV stadium was that the locker rooms are too small to fit NFL teams and there were security issues that would need to be addressed in the form of increased infrusture. They could make it work but it would cost money to improve a stadium that will be torn down.
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raidersnfl/sam-boyd-stadium-viable-temporary-home-raiders

Some in the city government are looking for a way to get out of the lease with the Raiders but I don't know how likely that would be. IIRC, the Raiders had team options for this year and the 2018 season which puts a question mark on 2019.

I get that everyone is different. Personally, I would not give a **** if Austin raised taxes on these 1000 room billion dollar hotels to pay for a stadium that would allow me to enjoy my favorite sport. That would never happen in ATX and I don't think the city has the corporate presence to even support a team. We also have to build a new arena and expand the convention center.

#153 Brando2101, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A Raiders fan is a different animal. They are loyal to the colors and to the team even if it packs up and leaves the city. Mark did right by allowing season ticket holders to get full refunds, but those seats won't be 3/4 empty. Especially not with a decent product on the field.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I took the Bart to oracle and saw the stadium
    It looked like prison
    Now I understand why Mark wanted a new stadium
    Makes the astrodome look like the Bellagio

Brando2101 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

And the NFL cash grabs and kickbacks continue. Looking forward to 5 years when the Rams and Raiders are playing at 1/4 full billion dollar stadiums and won't know they just got Monorailed by Goodell and his goons.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

...and Chargers

The Chargers, to me, is the most baffling move. Moving to LA to share a stadium they won't have any ownership in...but first playing in a stadium less than 1/2 the size of a normal NFL home. I don't understand why they didn't look to build their own place in Orange County. At least then they could still theoretically keep many of their fans as the drive wouldn't be that far from San Diego...and have a separate identity while still having a huge potential fan base. I'd be willing to bet that they'll be back in San Diego within 10 years or build their own stadium.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Honest question for Sir Jackie or any of the other Euro/Aussies...

How do you guys handle stadium infrastructure and construction for your soccer teams? Public or private or what?

I love sports, I've played and watched sports for about 40 years, but with everything else in our communities needing attention and funding, how do we still justify giving billionaires billions of dollars?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

When I was in San Diego, the uber drivers told me they that Chargers fans didn't like the owner.
    When the Raiders played in San Diego this year, there were more Raiders fans than Chargers fans.

The whole irony of this was Raiders fans taunting San Diego fans about the Chargers having to move out of their crappy stadium.

20. tinman

Supporting Member