1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Neshek suck too. Main reason Jared Cosart was traded.

2. Buck Turgidson

Mmmmmm...Neshek suck too.

[​IMG]

Tomstro likes this.
  3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Reed, White, Moran and Hernandez all optioned to minor league camp.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Off topic, but I hope CIN, PIT, and MIL contend soon. Three organizations that I've never really hated. Disliked at times, sure. Their fan base just seemed more knowledgeable and respectful than many others. Plus they underratedly have some of the freshest jerseys/logos in the game. They just aren't STL, CHC, TEX, ATL, CWS, or Kevin Brown. Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't force some rivalries. Feel the same way about SEA and OAK (so far, at least).

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Your divide on teams seems correlated to how good said team has been recently. Fans of CIN, PIT, MIL (as well as SEA and OAK) really have nothing to be arrogant or smug about in the last two decades. Going along with that, they're probably more dedicated/respectful/knowledgable fanbases because the stupid bandwagon fans aren't there.

Hell if you looked at this sub-forum 3-5 years ago you'd think every Astros fan was super dedicated because we were pretty much only talking about the minor league system.

awc713 likes this.
  7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agreed. And dare I say it...I remember feeling that way about the Mavs in the early 90's when they were setting all-time loss records / seemed like a pity party of a team. Once it changes, I don't think it can ever go back.

awc713 likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Sure, success makes a portion of any fan base more arrogant/annoying. I'm just friends with several fans across all of those those organizations. In my experience, PIT/CIN fans have always been down to earth in comparison to CHC fans (even before their recent success). I guess each fan is different, so it's hard to say in the aggregate, and you're right, there has been no success for those teams to gloat about.

Also, I know it's stupid, but I'm just a sucker for classy MLB logos and jerseys. Especially after the NBA and NFL botched a ton of theirs. These uni's and logos are beautifully done IMO, and that doesn't include MIL's brilliant old "M" glove logo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But yes, clearly part of me wanting them to do well is based on them not having success lately. That, and I despise STL and CHC. I just can't jump on the "feel good for CHC fans!" train that so many people are on, because I've been around so many annoying CHC fans.

In re: to SEA/OAK, that's why I ended my post with "so far, at least". I've seen some stupid SEA fans on twitter, but that's common in every fanbase. Once those teams pose a significant threat, HOU baseball will dictate a crash and burn approach for SEA/OAK.

#2408 awc713, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

^^

Not terribly concerned about that as there are guys in the pen that are good at getting lefties without being one. I'd like to see a move if Sipp continues his slide but I agree with Luhnow that it isn't the top priority right now. Harris, Devo and Hoyt (if he makes the team) are very solid against lefties.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

From a team planning perspective, spending more money/resources on a lefty reliever when they've already committed $6m per year to Sipp doesn't make sense.

We'd all like a dependable, productive player at every position on the 25-man roster but if that's the one hole then I think it's manageable. Especially because like people said we've got other guys who can get lefties out.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With hindsight, I wish Houston had signed Steve Pearce (to play LF/1B, whichever Gurriel doesn't play), and Boone Logan as a 2nd lefty reliever. This assumes there was no way to acquire Sale, Quintana, or Archer without giving up an unreasonable prospect package, otherwise I wish they'd have done that too.

13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I contended very early in the offseason, that a bold "we are not effing around" move would've been to simply cut Sipp and sign what we'd hope to be an effective LOOGY, to send a message that we are really, really serious about winning it all. I have zero faith in Sipp being good again. I also realize that a $6M sunk cost for our management would be a tough pill to swallow, so I don't necessarily blame them for keeping him and hoping for a turnaround, but all things being equal, this was an obvious spot to improve on. Again, the $6M didn't make all things equal, but it sure would've been great for them to make that bold move.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sipp is owed $12M.

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

You are correct, I meant a sunk cost of $6M for this year's payroll (and it would be another $6M next year). I still do it, because in the grand scheme of things, $6M in each of the next 2 years should not prevent us from assembling the greatest roster possible (although I sure as hell wouldn't like signing those checks, haha!). Thank you the correction and clarification!

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Funny. I just bought a Pirates cap, the only MLB cap I own, mostly because I liked them a little as a kid and wish they were better now. Contrarian I guess, but I also like that classic look. I find that it's hard for me to hate any of the really old franchises because I guess I just respect them more now.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Unrelated, but I love how PIT's teams all share the same color scheme. So cool. I wish HOU did that, and wish "Texans" took a space theme, too. Texans has grown on me but the Houston Appollos sounds pretty sweet, too.

18. kaleidosky

Feels very no-win-scenario. No one was happy w/the LF situation last year. Rectified by the best non-Type A FA out there...yet you wish they had aimed lower? I'm definitely still happy they addressed it, even if Reddick is a platooner (strong-side crusher)

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd assume he'd want him at the expense of Aoki, not Reddick.

20. kaleidosky

ah! makes way more sense in general, and as to why he mentioned hindsight (given that Aoki was so early and there was no way to know what was coming). Thank--I take the sentiment of my post back