1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pretty sure Westbrook has higher advanced stats like PER, On/Off etc.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

PER can be inflated by taking a lot of shots, even if you're inefficient. Westbrook has the better On/Off because the Thunder go from Westbrook to Semaj Christon who doesn't even look like an NBA caliber player.

3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm a big Lebron guy but honestly I don't even think he is the best player in the NBA anymore.

Personally if you swapped harden for Lebron right now can you really say the Cavs would be worse? I mean the rockets are in a tougher confrence with an inferior roster and still have a better record.

Would the Cavs with harden not be the hands down odds on favorite to come out the east? And would the rockets be better than they are right now with Lebron? Would they have a better chance at beating the Warriors and Spurs in the playoffs?

Personally and I am a little biased I know but I really think harden is hands down the best player in the game. Get harden the Warriors or Cavs roster and I bet he runs through the NBA and goes and wins multiple championships. Dude is having a rag tag but well built team with zero all stars gunning for 60 wins and the 3rd best record in the NBA with wins over all the top teams and a legit chance at a championship.

Harden is incredible get him an allstar like all these other stars have and let's see who really is the goat. My guess is he's playing in Houston and has a beard.

AirBud#10 and BigMaloe like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is great, but Lebron is clearly the best player in the game. Harden can't do what Lebron did on both ends of the court in last year's finals. Put a real squad around Harden and he'll probably be able to win a ring, but he's no Lebron. Also, while it's true that we have a better record than the Cavs, I don't think that the Cavs are taking the regular season seriously. How many times have they rested their big 3? Their defense has been horrible, and u know that they can be a lot better on that end when they need to. I fully expect the Cavs to turn it up to a new level once the playoffs arrive. We'll see how Harden does in this year's playoffs.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yes they would. But the Cavs with LeBron are still even more hands down favorites to come out the East. They are just cruising through the regular season resting LeBron and others when they feel like.
    Probably not because LeBron has been rested quite a bit this season.
    Who? You mean Rockets with LeBron? Yes I would say. LeBron has been a playoff monster putting teams on his back for several years being the best player on both ends. He just takes it to a different level. You forget that Harden hasn't really been such a player yet come playoff time.

LBJ is still the best 2 way player in the league. Don't let this regular season fool you.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

8. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Not sure if posted before but here is the reddit post about statistically analyzing Westbrook's rebounding numbers

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

J Sizzle likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Interesting comment, and I tend agree.

Even if Harden were to win, which seems unlikely given the media preferences, it'll be him winning with nearly every TV analyst saying how Westbrook SHOULD have been the MVP. A Harden win would STILL be about Westbrook.

AirBud#10 and DatRocketFan like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This will be similar to when Curry beat Harden, and the players want Harden to win, excepted it was warranted, The Beard literally carried his weak team to Second Seed. This season if Harden wins, the media will unfairly bash on the man for stealing Westbrook's thunder

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for posting this. Beck had Durant as his preseason MVP and was holding onto that until he got injured. Leonard as "best player on best team" will be interesting. Have to see if Spurs get #1 seed. Still, I don't think Leonard will get enough "narrative momentum", which Westbrook & Harden have.

eslate22 likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Has them "ALL", i.e. Westbrook doesn't have the wins while James does check all the boxes.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kudos to Jason McIntyre for posting this on social media. If you are on social media, share that post with other NBA influencers. Get them talking about it. Get a conversation started.

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

look at the comments section...Westbrook supporters aren't trying to hear it and will brush this off, they are blind to facts...all they see is that he's averaging at least 10 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists and that's good enough...efficiency and winning he damned

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have no problem with OKC fans feeling that way. I have a problem with media/journalists feeling that way, however.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

But your also talking about last years Lebron.

And I can't fault you more ppl would agree with you that Lebron is still the best player in the game even on this website.

But at some point Lebron has to slow down and at some point he's not going to make it back to the finals. Personally I think it's possible that happens this year. Lebron himself has made more indications of this than ever before. He talked about how he's going to be 33 next year and he can't got forever, we've never heard Lebron talk like this. We also heard him cry for my playmaking and help when on paper he has the deepest team in terms of on court resume from top to Bottom. I think Lebron is finally starting to feel the pressure that Kobe Bryant felt when he tried to give it one last go by bringing in Nash and Howard.

I love Lebron I think he's the second best player off alltime. What he's done is amazing. Me saying I think harden is better now does not mean I think Lebron sucks or isn't even in the top 3, I just think some of the younger guys mainly harden and Durant have caught up to him because they are younger and hitting there prime.

But I firmly believe that if you put harden and the rockets in the east they would Have went to the finals 2 years ago when they made the WCF and I also think they would be the odds on favorite to make the finals out east this year.

And one thing in certain off. I don't think the Cavs can switch a flip and be a great defensive team. There personnel is not there to do that. We talk about the rockets short coming on that end but they've been the 10th ranked defense since nov when pat bev came back. They also have had a top 5 defense for a few 10 game stretches. Rockets put out more plus defenders than the Cavs do and it largely gets overlooked by the national media.

And harden is just a better defender than Irving he's bigger longer stronger and more versatile on that end. He's shown when it counts he can be better than avg on that end and kyrie can't make that claims. The weak spot is the 4 spot on houston with Anderson but I wouldn't say love is great either although I admit that he is better and by a significant amount imo (rebounding)

The Cavs are in real trouble they can be got and I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that they will be playing in June and a lot of that has to do with Lebron slowing down just a tad. He had not been good on defense this year. The eyes and the numbers back that up. Can he get better in the playoffs? Maybe but there's evidence that suggest he might not.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So if the Cavs miss the finals, it's because Lebron is slowing down? That's some backwards logic considering he's have another great year. What really impressed me was when Kevin Love got hurt and Lebron took it upon himself to pick up the rebounding slack for those 12 games.

And bad on defense? That's turned into a convenient criticism for anyone being compared to Harden. Steph Curry? "bad on defense" Westbrook? "bad on defense" Lebron? "bad on defense". The only player I haven't seen labeled "bad on defense" is Kawhi, and that's probably b/c he's the reigning 2x DPOY.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

LeBron has the team with the highest payroll in the NBA by a mile, the Cavs rotation has SIX guys who have made all-star teams, and quite frankly as a team they just don't compete hard on a nightly basis. If Cleveland loses the #1 seed, LeBron has place in the MVP discussion, stats be damned.

20. MystikArkitect

Lebron getting any 1st or 2nd place votes is a damn joke. Playing with two all stars, takes games off and has the 4th best record in the league in the EAST.

You don't inherit MVPs man. Isaiah and John Eall should be above him.