1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

After falling off the horse for god knows how many months, today I step back into getting healthy again.... again. 10 push ups straight before dying, did some squats, core exercises, etc. gonna try to get comfortable doing body weight exercises to get into a bit more shape before I hit the gym again. Diet will be my main target to fix up

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Get evaluated by a physician. I've seen where a lifter complains of headaches and gets a Stent put in bllood vessel to prevent it from rupturing.

#1102 cheke64, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Movement_Is_Medicine

Sorry to hear that. I'd definitely take it easy and find out what's going on.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you are too fat to do more than 10 pushups you have to get some weights. 10 pushups isn't any volume at all so you have to drop the resistance.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

for combination of nutritional value and taste, nothing beats guacamole

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Well, I won't say you're wrong. I went back to the gym shortly after posting, and I've been going 4-5 times a week. Lost about 12 pounds so far, still have a lot to go. This Macros stuff is confusion as far as getting the perfect ratio. I've been eating relatively clean and a lot less compared to before I started dieting and exercising. I've started doing intermittent fasting a couple days ago to see if it helps with weight loss, I got scale stuck for like 5 days so I wanted to try and throw a curve ball and see if I could get things going.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So I am sort of skinny fat; bf percentage is about 20 percent but I don't look fat at all.I work out 2-3x a week plus play basketball on Saturdays. Do I bulk? Cut? How about carbs?

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what are your goals? it sounds like you're asking us.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It's to gain muscle which would be bulking obviously but I think it would be a lean bulk because of how my body would react to an all out bulk? I do want to get my bf percentage down to the 10-12 range as well

Thinking about doing a recomp

10. Movement_Is_Medicine

Just based on what you've posted, I'd stick to a recomp/"slow" bulk. Eat at or slight above maintenance and focus on a 13-16 week hypertrophy training block. See what happens after that and make adjustments.

11. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I'm glad I found this thread. I've really gotten into the whole diet and exercise thing lately. I grew up as a fat kid but today I'm 170 lbs. (at 6'3). I'm pretty skinny but for the first time ever I've been going to the gym 3x a week for about 6 weeks now and I've added some muscle definition as well. Currently trying to make it so my abs can be seen, they can only be seen after a workout in the right lighting right now.

I don't track my food daily but I will do it every now and then to check up on myself using the MyFitnessPal app, because I mostly eat the same stuff every day. Has anyone else found out with keto that they may not be eating enough? I tracked my food last Thursday and it came out that I was eating about 2000 calories. For someone 6'3, 170 who goes to the gym and plays basketball, a lot of places I've looked want me to eat about 2800 calories daily.

A normal day of eating for me:

1 cup cottage cheese
    2 tbsp. peanut butter
    Coffee with 2 tbsp. heavy cream

2 cups spinach/kale/arugula
    1 can of boneless/skinless sardines
    1 avocado

a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter/hummus

Meat and veggies, the day I tracked was 2 Andouille sausages with yellow squash, cooked in butter and spices

The day I tracked, I also thought I was indulging by eating some strawberries and blueberries with ReddiWhip after dinner but that brought me up to just under 2000 calories. If I take out the dessert and add my whey protein shake, I think it came to around 2100.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting back on the wagon after a 4 month hiatus. Sucks because I was at a great point prior but life happened. For not i'm just focusing on dropping lbs, i'll focus on adding a little mass later.

What are you doing for your workouts now? If you're working out 2-3 times, 4 if you count your basketball game, then you problem is either workout intensity or diet related.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

PPL days; doing high volume with low rest. I have been dropping carbs and I have lost 7 pounds since May 4th. I know it's not all fat or maybe it's water weight lol

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

high volume i assume you mean 12-15 reps? you could always try to add some activities between reps to keep your heart rate up. For example, after a rep of bench, you can do bench step ups.

Other than that it, it sounds like it could be a diet issue, which i could suspect since you've seen results dropping your carbs.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8-15 reps but yea. I do high carbs on workout days and low carbs on non workout days, protein 1 g per pound of bodyweight, high fat-nuts, peanut butter, etc.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

you should be fine then just keep it going. Make sure you keep up the intensity on the weights though and not just going through the motions of doing your 12 if you feel like you can still do more.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Thanks; I am doing not light weights, but not too heavy weights either. Just enough to barely put 8-9 reps and using progressive overload

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I started the Keto diet in March and have dropped 26 lbs. My goal weight was 200 after starting at 225# at 6'3". The scale read 199 this morning.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

How about bf percentage? Do you feel the fat melting away?

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it has been crazy. I would guess I went from 20 down to 13 or 14%. Did not get the Keto Flu and my abs are very visible (at age 40). I am sticking to it as well.