1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cowboys just signed Kellen Moore for QB depth. Wonder how long they'll keep this going.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im assuming your a cowboys fan?

So two years ago when it only took a 9-7 record to win the division and yall went 4-12, that division was considered a real titan huh?
    (dont want to hear that crap of injured qb, cause Houstons done it with NO qb this whole time.)

4. Nero

Nero Member

The AFC South has been a hot garbage division for a long time now. But it's not a zero-sum game - the quality of one team and one division does not affect the quality (or lack thereof) of an entirely different team and division.

And yeah, amazing how poorly a team can do when it has no QB. The Texans have done remarkably well considering the total lack of decent QB play in Houston since BoB's arrival. But let's not kid ourselves - four games a year against Tennessee and Jacksonville would be pretty much four automatic wins for almost every team in the league not named Cleveland or San Fran. So going 9-7 in those years, a more accurate portrayal of the team's relative quality is the 5-7 record against everyone else NOT named Titans or Jaguars.

This is why people so desperately want the Texans to pick up an available high-quality QB if and when he becomes free to sign. I hope they do, because the team has a decent amount of good pieces, and a real QB could be the final piece which elevates the franchise out of the depths of mediocrity.

As for Dallas? They got EXTREMELY lucky this offseason when they picked up Prescott. They should be set at QB for the next ten+ years. Here's hoping the Texans get so lucky.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Michael Irvin: Doesn't matter if Romo goes to Houston, Texans will never take over Texas from Cowboys

Michael Irvin was asked Monday morning about the possibility of Romo joining the Texans.

Some might think Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would prefer Romo in Denver, preventing the possibility of the Texans gaining in-state Romo/Cowboys fans.

The Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Cowboys receiver laughed at that thought.

"Never in your lifetime, my lifetime and your kids' lifetime will the Houston Texans take over Texas from the Dallas Cowboys," Irvin told Dan Patrick on the Dan Patrick Show. "Never. Don't even sweat it. Don't worry about it."

Irvin, an NFL Network analyst, also said he believes the Cowboys would have a better chance than the Texans of winning the Super Bowl even if Romo was Houston's starting quarterback.

"I still think Dallas would have a better chance," Irvin said. "I would still take Dallas in that game and winning that Super Bowl."​

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

DP: Interesting take, Mike...

My follow up question is, is that pipe yours or your friends?

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

[​IMG]

Yaosthirdleg and Bobbythegreat like this.
  8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Man I hope Nero is not a cowboys fan.
    There are about a half dozen teams in the NFL that can tell the Texans anything about anything and Dallas sure isn't close to being one of them.

That's like taking advice from the Sacramento Kings if you are the Houston rockets.

9. Nero

Nero Member

What is the Texans' greatest win? What is their *signature moment*? What is the Texans' greatest highlight?

That's an honest question. I have been watching the team since its inception, and they really haven't ever had that one 'stand up and take notice' game. They need a guy driving the bus who can lead them there.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

JJ Watt the rookie transforming in front of our eyes with a pick 6 in the team's first ever playoff game, that completely swung the momentum in a win with a rookie 3rd string scrub QB. Such a magical moment for me.

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah they do.
    Just dont need cowboys fans trying to give directions on being a successful franchise.
    They would be one of the 7 or 8 teams at the bottom of the barrel for who an NFL team would want to emulate over the last 20 years.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Oh really? You don't need 'Cowboys fans trying to give directions on being a successful franchise'?

Let's see..

1. Get a good QB who can accurately throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field
    2. Improve the O-Line
    3. Get a good offensive coordinator (if that's BO'B, then so be it, but it better work)
    4. get rid of Rick Smith
    5. continue to improve the defense

I am a Texans fan, and have been since the first day of the franchise. I was an Oilers fan before that. But unlike some people, I am capable of being a fan of more than one team, because while I have lived in the Houston area for most of my life, I was born and raised a Cowboys fan, and in memory of my father, I honor him by continuing to carry that torch as well. Has it been easy to watch that team go through so many lows in addition to all the highs? No, but it's not easy for any fan of any team.

But I'll tell you one thing I absolutely don't give even a single tiny little you-know-what about, and that is the opinions of people whose hearts and minds are so filled with irrational hatred that the only thing they know how to do is bitterly attack and insult total strangers based solely upon which professional football team they may happen to support.

Fortunately for the Texans, they need none of our advice or directions on how to be a successful franchise. They have highly-paid people who are responsible for that. All we can do is watch and hope.

And that is what I will continue to do, and I will continue to talk about it here. The fact that it bugs the crap out of some haters is just a perk. :)

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much what I thought. Another "Texans fan" who bandwagons the Cowboys hyping up ANYTHING they do while downplaying ANYTHING the Texans do. Sadly there are a lot of you. I just wish you guys could admit that you aren't actually Texans fans.

DikembeOlajuwan likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Quite true.

Again, quite true. Props for pointing this out.

In theory, this is correct. However, the so-called "available high-quality QB" (Romo) everyone around here is after is no longer that guy from 2014. Mentally, sure. Romo possibly could actually step in and master BoB's offensive scheme with minimal issues. But, physically, he is old (38), immobile, brittle and injury-prone - which is why he's even available in the first place. (I LOL at folks here who argue that his being injured all these years is somehow a good thing because it somehow equates to less wear-and-tear on his body.) Romo can't be the "final piece" for the Texans if (when?) he's out on IR again and the Texans are back to square one...AGAIN. (Ahhh, reminds me of the Oilers...) Seems like as far as Houston pro football is concerned, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

It wasn't luck per se but rather Wade Wilson who studied Prescott - his skill level, the offense he ran at Miss State and how his skills and ability fit into the Cows' system. It was Wade who pushed Jerry J to pickup Dak when he feel into the 4th round. Now, as you point, they appear to be set at the QB spot for years to come while the Texans are clueless (as usual). I believe that's known as scouting which is something the Texans should try instead of hoping for blind luck to come their way.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I am a native-born Houstonian who has watched this situation (Dallas vs. Houston pro football) play out for 50 years now and it absolutely pains me to admit it but that ******* POS Irvin is right. The Texans are only relevant in the Houston-Galveston area, Beaumont & Port Arthur. Everywhere else, and I mean EVERYWHERE in this state it's Cowboys, Cowboys, Cowboys. I've been in Northeast Dallas County for over 20 years now and I have to buy the NFL Sunday ticket just to get Texans' games. They don't even show them when there is no head-to-head conflict with Cowboys games. No matter if they are on at 3 PM or on Sunday night - the Cows' games are always telecast. It was also that way when I lived in Austin and in Lubbock - the Texans' games weren't routinely shown unless they were on a national broadcast. It is partly due to legacy - Tex Schramm, Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Doomsday Defense, Jimmy & Jerry and those 5 SB trophies go a long way toward building and sustaining a fanbase. In Houston you have what? Bud Adams & the Oilers? Sure there was the Luv Ya Blue era with Bum, Earl and the boys but there was also Bill Peterson, Jerry Glanville, Buddy Ryan, the 1-13 & 2-14 seasons (including their last year in Houston) and (for me) the final straw: the move to Tennessee that left Houston without a pro football team for 5 years. You succeed that with going on 15 years of Texans mediocrity and there's simply not much there to win the hearts and minds of Texas football fans. Irvin is a pompous, insufferable jackass but he's right on this one (God! I simply cannot STAND the guy!).

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL Cowboys fans coming out of the woodwork.

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's 36; I've now corrected you twice. He'll turn 37 next month. And yes, it matters.

It's actually a valid point because most of his injuries have been bone breaks, which are random and unpredictable, btw. He was a healthy scratch for the team's final (iirc) 8 games. When he next takes the field (July-ish), he'll have been healing/resting for nearly a full calendar year. That's not insignificant. He'll be as healthy as he's been in years. And with considerably less wear and tear than MOST 37-year old QBs.

If he can avoid bad luck and stay healthy, that extended healing/rest could likely pay dividends in November and December.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member