1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by samtaylor, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Early and strong candidate for post of the year.

At least in the Houston Astros forum.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You think Cubans have the freedom not to go? Most countries do have freedom, but there are different levels of freedom. There is a lot more pressure on these guys than what you get in the US. A lot of Canadian stars didn't go as well. We also are hurt by Americans playing for other teams (Freddie Freeman & Manny Machado).

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Latin players love the chance to play with their peers. Many play winter ball just for a chance to play ball in their home country. Plus there is the ingrained soccer culture. Interest in national teams means more to them because they have no high level major league, all of their best players go play in the USA, representing american cities. In the US, we only care about club championships with our team sports. The team could be entirely Latin, we don't care as long as the club representing our city wins.

I imagine many American players feel the same as me, this simply isn't a real meaningful tourney. Throwing the stars and stripes on doesn't change that. Baseball is a regimented sport, where superiority can only be proven over time. A 2 week, preseason tournament doesn't prove anything. Even if we fielded our best roster (which would be far superior to any roster any other country can field) we very well could still lose.

It's more entertaining than regular grapefruit league games, but I just don't care, so I certainly can't blame the players for not caring. The hitters wouldn't bother me, but I would not want my pitchers wasting full bore innings in March. I want Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers trying to build up for the season, not throwing meaningful pitches.

4. HTM

HTM Member

Congratulations on nitpicking the Cubans.... which is totally irrelevant.

What I've been asking and nobody really has a clear cut answer is why Americans choose not to play and the best MLB players from the most successful international baseball countries choose to play.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You could question the level in regards to other Latin American Countries as well where some of the regimes are questionable, but that is probably irrelevant. I speak to a freedom that we as Americans just don't care that much. There isn't pressure to play.

Why? Because it is so important to their country. These are mostly impoverished countries that really enjoy having something that says we are as good or better than the United States. Those players realize the importance these games have to their home fans, and they don't want to disappoint them.

6. HTM

HTM Member

I would think American professional baseball players would take it personally that the USA has not done particularly well in international competitions and would set out to prove the point that the USA is the best.

Something similar to what USA basketball experienced in 1988 and apart from 2004 the subsequent domination of the international game.

I guess nobody really cares though.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Home is where the heart is...and their heritage has been in bedded in them since birth.

Go Houston Rico!

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Baseball was mainstream international prior to the NBA.

In many ways, its as global a game as soccer is.... both do not require some of the genetic (i.e.- height) requirements to excel, as opposed to basketball.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. Fantasma Negro

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Puerto Rico Astros!...Hopefully Correa will continue his great play in the regular season

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Adam Jones comes up clutch!

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm so glad Neshek is gone.

samtaylor and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

filthy stuff from Gregerson!

RasaqBoi and Hustle Town like this.
  15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Is it bad I'm going for Puerto Rico ? Not going to lie this baseball season has me pumped. It's like the World Cup and our go to players feel in mid season form.

samtaylor and Hustle Town like this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

This wbc has been fkin amazing! Can't wait for PR vs USA

Hustle Town and bigtexxx like this.
  18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We should have a big advantage seeing Seth Lugo again. Hope Stroman can pull it together this time. I wish we hadn't sent Archer away.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Correa & Beltran v. Bregman & Gregerson?

Since Leyland won't play Bregman, I'm rooting for the more home-ish team, los Puertorriqueños!

RasaqBoi and samtaylor like this.
  20. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

If Puerto Rico wins, the USA should make them the 51st state so that technically the US wins either way