1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sitting super star players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Does the league need to stop superstars from sitting?

1. yes

53 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. no

36 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

More league parity would solve this problem. Top teams wouldn't be able to throw games without losing position in the standings and thus their seeding. As things are, a team like Cleveland can sign a bunch of bought out guys, rest their stars, and basically suffer no penalty. I guarantee a number one seed wouldn't do this if it meant dropping to the 2nd or 3rd seed.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Even if I was to consider this a problem, which I only do in the slightest & vaguest of senses, there is not a fair solution to it.

You cannot ban players from having injuries. You can ban uninjured players from sitting out, but this is a league where literally everyone out there has sore knees in the morning, and the line between a 3-day absence for a knee strain and everyday soreness is not something you can write down on paper to enforce.

It would be good practice for teams to make it up to fans in some way, but the league should not intervene.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I say no - BUT - during CBA bargaining players love to use the logic "we deserve our salaries because we are the product the NBA is selling." If we use that same logic, they shouldn't be sitting out games intentionally.

It is also a Catch-22 for lower level teams who will have trouble selling tickets due to poor performance, and then can't even rely on selling tickets because "superstar player X" is coming to town, so there is a business implication for the NBA.

4. AFS

AFS Member

You could complain to the restaurant, but you wouldn't have any legal recourse under this set of facts, unless it was actually represented to you that the product that you were buying would have those characteristics. There's a difference between you assuming that a product will have the characteristics you want and the person selling the product making representations about what the product will contain.

There's a difference between being sold on coming to see the Cavaliers play the Rockets versus being sold on coming to see LeBron James play against the Rockets. The former is not a misrepresentation, and certainly isn't fraud.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tough to get true parity when all the best players in the league choose to play with each other

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

They make this choice while still earning what they want. If their was no (less) money where their bud was playing, then they would have a real choice to make.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

For serious contending teams it makes sense to rest their "star players". For teams just making the playoffs and probably playing one or two rounds it does not. The Spurs do it right. They protect their products and allow them to have a better shelf life. Ginobli, Parker are still contributing and shine during the playoffs. Duncan was also a contributing factor until his last days. I hope we start resting Harden, Nene, Ryan anserson, eric gordon, beverly, and ariza real soon. We need all of those guys fresh like it is early in the season come playoffs.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Except that in all their promotional materials, they all feature their biggest stars. That is false advertisement if they voluntarily sit star players without injuries. In the past, at least they made up some phony injuries. Now they just list them as DNP.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Never said anything about it being illegal and never said it was fraud (just that it feels like it). I'm just saying every fan has every right feel cheated by this.

AFS likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

See my previous post. All teams feature their biggest stars in all of their promotional materials. If they intentionally withhold those stars from performing, they are cheating the fans because when I buy a ticket to watch Cleveland play the Rockets, my mind is having this image of LeBron on the Cavs and Harden on the Rockets, not some bench players.

The problem with the restaurant analogy is that if a restaurant did that, it's reputation would quickly be ruined. Good restaurants would not do that. This is because there are real competition. If you don't like this restaurant, there are zillions others you can choose from. The NBA is a monopoly. If I don't like the NBA's way of doing things, there is no other pro basketball league for me to go to. There is no competition, other than other major pro sports. This is why you need rules to control them where a free market does not need.

RocketWalta and AFS like this.
  12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I would imagine you would know in advance that it's not the top chef and they are using grade B meat similar to how the cavs said hours before that they were sitting players. So then why would you order said steak if you knew that it wasn't going to be top of the line? If you pay for a steak that you knew wasn't going to be top of the line then you deserved to get swindled.

As for the NBA part you probably already payed the ticket in advance. That's too bad. You can complain all you want but it's too bad. The league fulfilled their obligation.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

No the restaurant doesn't tell you anything till they bring it out. That's the equivalent of the league telling you hours ahead since you buy your tickets way in advance. In fact, some from rural areas make plans to make long trips to cities to see certain teams. "That's too bad"? Are you kidding me dude? You sound like a Craigslist scammer.

14. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

When in real life has that exact restaurant scenario happened where they didn't tell you? I'm talking about real life not in a scenario in your head to try to compare to something totally different and unrelated.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's called an analogy. Sometimes people like to use them to illustrate a point about other things and the only point I'm trying to make is that NBA fans have every right to be upset and should demand better from the NBA regardless of whether it's technically "legal" or not.

16. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really mind superstars sitting out games, I mean if you can sit out games thats the fault of the opponent because they're so weak the other teams can sit out their best players.

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

total nonissue. the regular season is a campaign, gotta let the teams plot a path to the chip.

if they wanna fix something how about addressing tanking?!

19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I disagree. The NBA season is gruesome and playing on tired legs is more likely to get you injured.

The NBA cannot say anything with the amount of back to back games they give teams in an NBA season.

I think the NBA should not care about this. Only gamblers care about this. Fans should know there is always a chance teams will rest certain players for certain games. It's simply part of the game. If you want to see everyone play then there's always the playoffs.

I think there should only be one rule. You cannot rest a player for all games against a specific team.

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

You would see more guys playing tired and hurt and getting injured far worse. This is a terrible solution