1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So...if the Thunder wind up 4th, they will have outperformed their preseason predictions by about 2 seeds higher and about 6 wins. The Rockets, meanwhile, will outperform their predictions by about 5 seeds higher and about 15 wins. "The winning factor", objectively, has already been settled. Harden has already won easily in that regard. Objectivity is not the goal for most media members, though. The goalposts must keep moving.

But who am I kidding...two rebounds is much more important that all of that.

Killatron 2000 and DonKnock like this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But that's where the triple double average negates the 3rd seed for the Rockets. That's an amazing achievement by Westbrook. I don't think it should be enough to overcome a 6th or 7th seed finish by the Thunder. But if they can edge out Utah for 4th and the disparity in win totals between them and the Rockets isn't more than say 5-6 games, then I think Westbrook will easily get the MVP.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So you agree with the notion that 2 extra rebounds a game is more important than 5-6 wins, despite the Rockets outperforming expectations more than the Thunder? What makes 30/10/10 so much more amazing of an achievement than a more efficient 29/11/8? And I don't ask sarcastically. I would genuinely like to know so I can understand the current fascination with triple doubles.

#1223 J Sizzle, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it's literally because Westbrook gets at least 10 of each (points, rebounds, and assists) while Harden doesn't...it's so ridiculous

I could understand giving Westbrook the MVP over Harden if he was averaging a triple double on a 6th or 7th seeded team while Harden was averaging like 25, 5, and 5 on a 3rd seeded team, but Harden's statline is just as insane as Westbrook's is.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it's so ridiculous lol, and those rebounds don't really mean much. his bigs box out for him to get easy defensive rebounds lol

no one has done it since Oscar, since most bigs want to get their stats. I think with the circumstances with KD leaving, OKC rally around each other and guess they just want to try to make it seem like they're not missing KD by allowing WB to gather all the rebounds. Only reason why I personally think they have a game plan of allowing WB to ignore his man and stand in the paint to gobble the uncontested rebounds.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Harden has this locked up.

Barring OKC going on a run to close on the 4th seed. Don't see it happening.

7. count_dough-ku

Yes, I think averaging a triple double is a huge deal. 2 extra rebounds in a single game is nothing. But over the course of 82 games, that's almost unheard of. Literally since only the Big O did it(and only once).

I'm not saying I wouldn't pick Harden if I had a vote. There's a strong case to be made for him. He's had a historic season himself statistically. He's led a good, but not great, roster with no fellow All-Stars to what will likely be the 3rd or 4th best record in the NBA. And he's played every game(unlike Kawhi and LeBron who've needed "rest").

But there are still games left to be played. The stats are unlikely to deviate much from their current averages. Westbrook likely holds on and averages a triple double. Harden racks up a few more triple doubles himself and remains in the top 3 in scoring and in the lead in assists. Where the MVP race will probably be determined(assuming the media hasn't already decided to give it to Westbrook) is in the overall team records and what transpires this Sunday at Toyota Center.

8. MistaK

MistaK Member

Just gonna leave this here...

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not saying it's not incredible, because it is. I'm asking why 2 rebounds per game is that much more incredible than what Harden is doing. Why are those 2 rebounds so much more important than anything Harden's doing? I agree that if Harden was averaging something like 25/5/5, then this would be a different discussion, but it's not.

Are we to believe that, without those 2 rebounds, the Thunder would fall to pieces? Would the Rockets surpass the Warriors if Harden averaged 2 more rebounds to average a triple double?

If so, then he deserves the MVP for sure, but I think common sense would say that's not the case.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

She almost choked calling Harden an MVP candidate lmao

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

"Oh, producers are telling us Harden gets 6.4 uncontested rebounds. So only 2 less rebounds than Westbrook, not that much of a difference at all"

"Westbrook is better because of two extra rebounds making 3 double digit categories. 2 rebounds are huuuuuge... Triple dubbllleezzzz"

-ESPN

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

why did I watch that?

I want to see Harden's uncontested rebounds. nobody is boxing out for Harden to get a rebound at the free throw line because no one on this team can box out. Are they counting rebounds he gets after an opponents missed shot as uncontested? those rebounds are just falling to him. No one is conceding rebounds to Harden.

14. count_dough-ku

The Blazers did win in San Antonio and Miami. Both of those teams have been red hot lately.

snowconeman22, BigMaloe and Fullcourt like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

System is rigged.

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

^ ESPN guy made a big deal about Kawhi winning with no other all-stars. Pau & LMA were all-stars just last year. Spurs have 5 former all stars on their roster. They replaced old man Duncan with Gasol. And have already lost more games than they did last season.

WB and Harden have zero current or former all star teammates

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@BigTex good point. Just goes to show people will cherry pick the stats they want to build their case with their guy. Haberstroh is smart and makes good points, but not acknowledging LMA's impact is dumb. And Duncan was a shell of himself last season. The MVP of the Spurs is Popovich. They can rest Kawhi and still win games on the strength of the intelligence of the role players and Pop's system.

DonKnock and Richie_Rich like this.
  18. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Harden can't even win a measly POW with averaging a triple double. Meanwhile RWB is a co-favorite to win MVP for doing the same. Harden is getting robbed this year

DonKnock and Richie_Rich like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

If Westbrook makes it to the 4th seed it'd be hard. 5th seed toss up. 6th or 7th no way.

Those rebounds are pretty damning though. Does anyone think that they'll make a compilation video and make it go viral to make it seem like every rebound he gets is like this and it'll forever haunt his career?

DonKnock likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The media has established Westbrook as a likable player, so the answer is no. Harden is established as an unlikeable player.