1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver Announcer Rips Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 19, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He didn't say this. The question was asked, but he didn't seem like he wanted to answer the question, vs call the game. The guy who posed the question actually said "So 0?", because Hastings wouldn't give a percentage, and kept pressing for any answer.

After a long pause: "I don't view him as MVP. I think he's All-Pro." But we did get a homer, "And Harden fouled him on the shot" comment at the end. :D

Here's the Denver announcers exchange per OP.

Did they revisit the question later in the 4th? This vid shows the extent of the convo in the entire 3rd Q and 16pt run.

Based on the MVP question, is it worth it for me to create the 16 pt run?

#61 heypartner, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

well, relative to the rest of the league of course..

Last night, Harden got a steal, had at least 5 steps on the next closest man, got ate up immediately. Proceeded to run the slowest one-man fast break in modern history in route to a bucket and-1.

There is a reason Harden's elite physical skill is "stopping fast", he has no elite physical skills.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What happened was the first announcer read a tweet from Steph Curry who had said "you have to reward the better team" for MVP, which hinted that Harden should get it.

Then the announcer asked Hastings what he thought Harden's chances were. He said "20, 30, 40, 50, 10, 60". Don't know what he meant but he was saying it as if it could be any number.

The first announcer again referred to Harden being on a winning team, to which Hastings replied "Then why not Lebron James why not Kawhi Leonard?"

He also kept talking ish about Ryan Anderson. Basically saying "come on" everytime Anderson drew a foul. At one point they showed some pic of a kid crying (from an NCAA game) and he said it looks like Ryan Anderson.

He whined about every freaking call. Even when he whined and the replay showed he was wrong, he kept with the whining as if he didn't notice.

The guy was seriously terrible. And he wasn't being a homer. He wasn't being overly positive about his team. He was just hating on the Rockets non-stop. I've never heard of him but at some point in the game I just yelled "oh shut the F up and let us enjoy the game" because of just how much he was whining about calls.

Someone should take @durvasa advice and make a video, post it on here to share Harden dropping 16 right after he said that.

D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. heypartner

When was this exchange. I just posted it above. There was no mention of Isaiah or Lebron....or Curry.

I'm so confused. Did they revisit the conversation later in the 4th. I'm pretty sure they did not talk about it the rest of the 3rd beyond what I posted above.

would love to make that vid...but I'm not finding the conversation.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Scott Hastings is the only guy keeping Clyde from being definitively the worst commentator in the NBA.

Everybody hates him

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I honestly don't care about announcers being homers, siding with their team over obvious calls even if it makes them look stupid. I do however have a problem with announcers not giving credit where it is due. Bullard does an ok job at correcting bill if he says something not true about an opposing player. Calvin does an awesome job at crediting opposing players.

Ohreally and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  7. heypartner

@Mathloom

OK, here's the tweet comment. I think you guys might be reading too much into these comments. They aren't the way the OP portrays.

This came in the 4th @, at least 30 minutes after the 20%, 30%? question. I'm not getting offended by Hastings comments.

Still can't find the Isaiah Thomas comment. Will post if I do.

8. heypartner

I'm finding more and more players are doing this and the announcers are defending it...saying it's a foul, and stupid defensive play to put your hand in there.

Example: Here is Scott Hastings and the other announcer defending Harden in the last game. They even provide the opposing coach argument, and dismiss it to defend Harden.

Bo6 and T for 3 like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

All-Pro? Not even All-NBA. :rolleyes:

10. heypartner

Surely, he meant All-NBA....as All-Pro is an NFL thing. did you think he was answering the question or going out of his way to criticize Harden?

I don't. OP misquoted and exaggerated, imo. Wish he hadn't misquoted Hastings, as I'd love to make that video.

glenadyll likes this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Absolutely. Any positive run we can give our beloved Beard is essential.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You're exactly right. I always watch the opposing team's broadcast (I can't stand ackerman, clyde or bull).

More guys are doing it, and more people around the league are defending it. I know it can technically be called a foul every time.

My beef isn't with harden taking advantage of it. I wish it wasn't called though. I think it cheapens the game, much like the hack-a-fouls. It rewards an exploitation of the rule that I don't like, and sometimes it just looks downright ridiculous. Some of the calls are more justified than others, and some are just eggregious in my opinion.

But sometimes these trends catch on, and some broadcasters always warm up to what is trendy.

I prefer a more VanGundyian outlook.

Credit to Harden for milking it though.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. heypartner

What vid do you want me to make, if the Denver announcers didn't criticize Harden like OP states. The vid would sound like we are whining homers. I can't even find the Isaiah Thomas comment?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He likes defense, probably feels Harden should play both ends.

Who cares what he thinks anyway?

DD

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He also probably doesn't say anything remotely close to this about guys like Lillard, Steph, Kyrie, etc.

rockpileindisma and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. heypartner

Hastings made several comments about how physical the Rockets are. lulz. I guess Denver is not very physical.

BMoney likes this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Honestly if Harden played on a different team I would hate his guts. He is outstanding offensively but everything else about him makes me cringe.

T for 3 likes this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Probably because he has to watch jokic defend the paint every night...yikes.

19. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Westbrook hoops like it's a track meet. Out-athlete everyone. Harden hoops like it's karate. Drunk master. Or aikido, really. He is all technique and deception with efficiency and minimal exertion. I was lucky enough to see it up close and personal recently and it's amazing how this guy is a technical skills machine and he makes it look so effortless cause that's his whole point. We have HD video now for the end of time. He's defintelty not fully appreciated on a national level right now. On a base level most people just understand: big man jump high go fast. Harden is 50 years ahead of his time. He will be studied and people will strive to achieve his hoops level.