1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You have to admit the kid has the talent to be all those he is being compared to. You have to take players with his kind of skills as soon as you can in a league where good QB's don't come through to often.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason he's getting the attention that he's getting is due to just how awful this QB class is. The kid still has tons of red flags, but given the field, he looks pretty good by comparison. This isn't a "you have to jump on a guy this good" type situation, it's a "well, he has a chance to not completely suck, maybe" situation.

My homie is an overly aggressive gunslinger type that is prone to bad decision making with the ball that came from a spread offense that has never taken the 3 or 5 step drops common to pro systems. Even worse, the system he's coming from is one where there are pre-determined reads so he's not even used to doing that himself. On top of that, he REALLY needs to work on his footwork, there are times where it is tragic.

None of that is to say that he doesn't have positives, for sure he does, but I feel like those have been over-emphasized and his negatives have been played down in order to fit a narrative of him being just a really good prospect.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with you overall.

He has all the physical attributes needed to do very well in the NFL.

The problem is that we have no idea if he has the quick decision making ability, the work ethic and the right personality to be a successful NFL QB.

QB is the most important and hardest position in team sports. It isn't something most people mentally can handle; especially at 21-22 years old.

There is a reason there are so few very good ones.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

First, an honest statement. You sound like an idiot repeatedly calling him "my homie". I thought it was a typo at first. I guess it's not...

Second, yes his footwork was atrocious, but it's a false narrative to say that he didn't take three step drops and had pre determined reads. Neither of those statements are entirely true. He did take three step drops and he had more leeway in the system than anyone ever has. He had complete control to audible a play any given time at the line. Therefore, he was reading something.

Also, his footwork looked better than a lot of the guys at the combine. That shows he's a hard worker and is coachable. For him to show that much improvement in that little time spikes my optimism.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He has a stupid name thus a stupid way to remember it.

He almost never took snaps from behind center while in college, thus no true 3 or 5 step drops. Also, the Tech system does predominately use pre-determined reads. Both of those statements are entirely true. Having the most leeway ever in a system with almost no leeway isn't saying that much.

Also, don't confuse a system having pre-determined reads with him not having to make those reads. Even in a situation where it's "if X then Y" you still have to read X.

That goes along with what I was saying, that most of the case for him is that everyone else is so terrible. In a good QB class, he's a 3rd or 4th round prospect. Doesn't mean he can't be good, but it is what it is.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You're backing off by saying "he almost never" and "no true 3 or 5 step drops" now...

Also, yes, they do use predominantly predetermined reads, but as I said,he still had the ability to change play calls at the line, this meaning he still has at least some ability to read defenses. My point still stands. Also, his improv leads me to believe that he wasn't only making predetermined reads, and instead going to his second and third options. I will concede that he went to his first option a lot though. He left yardage on the field, as well, despite the insane amount he racked up.

You're saying he goes round three or four in a better class is stupid. He'd be first or second round in any of the past ten drafts, most likely. But then again, every year, every class gets knocked as weak.

If Jared Goff can go number one overall, and Paxton Lynch can go in the first round, as well as numerous other examples from years past, Mahomes is without a doubt a first or second round prospect.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, I'm backing off because there were some times he took snaps in goalline situations from behind center, but there were so few of them that it's not really worth mentioning. I just didn't want to say something technically inaccurate. I don't think he ever took a 3 or 5 step drop in any situation from behind center though. If you find one, then that's fine, but the point is that it was insanely rare for him to take snaps from behind center. Nearly everything was either in shotgun or the pistol.

Look, I know that this is your guy, and I've learned from past seasons what can happen when you bring up legitimate criticism of someone's draft crush so let's not make this another Teddy Bridgewater situation. If you want to start taking it in that direction, I'll just agree with you that he's the greatest QB prospect in the history of football in order to stop the conversation right there.

8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

NFL QBs know where they are going with it 75% of the time before the snap too.
    That's just the way football works now.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

True, but the really good ones can not only change it up going through reads, but they can also change the play when they read the defense.

10. conquistador#11

with the brady avocado ice cream ugg offense B.O.B and co like to run, the under center thing doesn't really come to play. Maybe it drops him down which would be good. what's he projected to go?
    DB,OL,Qb, LB no particular order. Whoever the qb is he better know how to read backwards chinese to quote fitzie.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Dak Prescott didn't play under center in college and he was able to adapt. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that Mahomes can do so as well.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That not playing under center thing is just another excuse people use when they are afraid to take chances.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was able to sit behind the best O line in the NFL with the second best running game in the league....not just any rookie gets to be made to look good inheriting the easiest job in the NFL.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sounds like you don't trust the Texans to set up a good O line for My homie.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Takes a while to build a solid O-line. Not an overnight thing. Dem Boys have been working at it for a number of years now.

Also, I think calling him My Homie is perfectly fine and speaks to a nickname. I guess I can see how people would take it differently, but seems a perfectly valid nickname.

Except apparently Dario Saric's nickname is now The Homie... I have absolutely no idea why. My Homie makes a lot more sense for Mahomes.

Patrick My Homie Mahomes. It just works.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I know, Jon Gruden likes everyone.

And on a totally unrelated note, thought he'd sound a lot different?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they aren't going to put together an O line comparable to the Cowboys O line, that's for sure. That's not really a knock on them though, I don't think many people realize just how elite the Cowboys O line really is.

On top of that, the Texans won't have that caliber of run game either AND BOB makes it a lot harder on QB's with his system. It's just not comparable situations.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Finally!

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hyping up Petty in the mid rounds. You left out that part. Mahomes is someone I have been wanting in the first and we should all hope that he's still there.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

According to a lot of the latest mock drafts, all 1st round QBs will be there at 25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.