1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Winger.com: The Winter of Wicky Wubio

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. omgTHEpotential

Rubio's career FG% before this season: 36.8%
    Rubio's FG% this season: 41.1%

That was arguably the only big knock on his game, and he's definitely getting better at it. He might become a top5 PG in this league after all if he continues this constant improvement shooting the ball.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm not a big Rubio fan, but I've always felt like they'd be better off trading LaVine (who I might like even less). The last 20 or so games have definitely reenforced that belief.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

_holic creaming his pants so much that he doesnt have time to post on the forums

5. omgTHEpotential

Towns & Rubio are like a poor man's version of Malone & Stockton. Obviously the Jazz duo were a tier above, but stylistically there's a lot of similarities. Towns much like Malone is a really good finisher, while Rubio much like Stockton is a high-assist, low-turnover guy. Both Rubio and Stockton are great at those one-handed passes. Although you really can't put Rubio and Stockton in the same sentence when talking about their shooting. Stockton had a bunch of 50-40-80 seasons and was also an iron man. 1686 games in his 19 season career (Rubio with 278 games in 5 seasons before this one).

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Top 5 is a stretch, they are A LOT of very good point guards right now.

Lowry
    Wall
    WB
    Harden (if you count him)
    Isaiah Thomas

Not to mention Lillard, McCollum, CP3, Mike Conley. They do need to trade either Levine or him though.

7. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, perhaps top5 is too much. But he could easily be in the conversation for top10 if he keeps this up.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Rubio and Stockton don't belong in the same sentence in any way, shape, or form.

The very threat of a 50/40/90 shooter makes defending them so much different, that even the passing aspects are apple to orange comparisons.

You could never sag off Stockton, not even for a second. Rubio's man routinely patrols the paint, because he's 0 threat to score from anywhere. Just because Rubio shot 36% before, doesn't make 40% acceptable from your 2nd best player.

Yung-T and Patience like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

Well, you pretty much re-itarated what I have said regarding their shooting.

As playmakers they have a lot of similarities though.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

you missed my point. As playmakers, they do not have similarities.

Being a good shooter affects how open you are, and in turn, affects how well you see the court.

You can't just completely ignore shooting when talking about passing, because one affects the other so much.

11. omgTHEpotential

Perhaps. But's it's definitely not a complete overlap. Outside of that, they have a TON of stylistic similarities.

12. rockets13champs

I hate when people replace R's with W's and think it's funny

Chamillionaire and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

i have trouble seeing it. I watched some Stockton, but I probably haven't seen enough Rubio to make Judgements on his style.

You mean his east-west dribble, his passing? I should know what to look for next time I see him.

14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Yes, they are similar as in they both dribble the ball with their hands as oppose to other limbs.

God I hate how good Stockton was for the Jazz. His stats were one thing but to play for all those games? Good think he never won a championship.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

IMO Kidd has always been a more sensible comparison for Rubio, even beyond their shared struggles shooting the basketball.

Stockton was like a more disciplined Nash. Imagine the type of #s he would have put up in a D'Antoni system.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmao, agreed, but I'm always open to debate.

fba34 likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Rubio is the same player he's always been. What has changed in Minnesota is Thibs has ended the grand experiment of having Wiggins, Lavine, KAT, the rookie, and every other player besides Rubio initiate while spotting up Rubio on the wing in the Thibs version of "stupid offense".

He's finally put RR where he belongs and excels, initiating, creating, dishing, and leading. And he's surrounded RR's superior playmaking with......wait for it.........with SHOOTERS who can actually convert the open looks that RR has created throughout his career.

Imagine that! Put the man in a spread offense and low and behold all of a sudden he shows massive improvement!!!!!!! #whodathunkit
    Some of you guys are clueless. Let the Wubio bash continue.

If Thibs trades the rookie, Dieng, and Lavine for a top notch wing and a great defensive big that can run pnr this summer and leaves Rubio/Ty in place running the point for 48 minutes they will challenge for top 4 in the West next season.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Dumb, Lavine is a far superior talent and has Westbrook potential. You don't know basketball if you dislike Lavine. If theres not enough room for both that's the only reason you move one

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is clear that Lavine out, Rush in, has made a difference. Better balance and maximizes the other players roles. KAT's numbers have been pretty awesome lately.