1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Depeche Mode (2017) - New Album Spirit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Feb 14, 2017.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Not sure if there are Mode fans on the board, but the band announced a new album a few weeks ago. It is set to release in March, and the title track is simply amazing. One of the most incendiary songs I have heard in quite some time, and very timely given the current situation all over the world. Very excited about this one....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_(Depeche_Mode_album)

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not a bad song, just sounds like another DM song. I've seen them over 20 times since 1988, one of the best live groups ever back in the day. IMO though, the last really good album they put out was Exciter in 2001. Playing the Angel had a few good songs (this was the last tour I saw them on) while both Sounds of the Universe and Delta Machine were complete garbage, instant throw aways. Hope the album is good. It does suck to see Dave looking all old and skinny like a PePaw now, makes me feel so freaking old. I want the old Dave on heroin of the SOFaD days back with the rock star hair n ****.

mikol13, Richie_Rich and KingCheetah like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's a good song - DM just keeps chugging along.

CCity Zero and Nook like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I didn't even know about DM until they released their first greatest hits album in 1987 - they have been around forever.

5. LonghornFan

Speak and Spell, 1981. Not as long as The Cure though with Thee Imaginary Boys in 1979. I was 4.

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take a ride with your best friend
    Hope he never lets you down again

Richie_Rich and CCity Zero like this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'll have to interpretive dance to the new song. I can't regular dance to it. WTF ;)

All the wiggers are panicking!

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Seen DM twice - both were great great concerts. It's interesting to hear the differences in style of their music through the years, from the happy synth-pop of the early 80's to the driving beat-filled moody sounds of the 90's to today. Even with the variety of styles it's all still very very Depeche Mode. My wife says their 90's stuff is great for late night candle-light with your SO romps. I'd have to agree. Even this song still screams Depeche Mode. Still putting out Good Stuff.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I hope they announce a new tour, I'm a big fan! I prefer their 80s/90s but some of their new stuff is good too.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say this about DM. They do something very difficult for bands that have been around for decades with huge hits earlier in their career.

They continue to make music that is true to their style that their fans enjoy. It isn't them trying to sound like their hits, and just give fans what they think they want. It is actually fresh and freshly inspired even if it stays true to their signature style.

Often bands that have been around that long will go through the motions and have their own formula figured out. They just plug in the formula and put out crap. Or bands will evolve or sometimes just try and change their style to stay relevant, or to show that they aren't just plugging in a formula.

It isn't easy to keep making music in the same style that still remains mostly fresh after multiple decades.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Still sounds like Depeche Mode, indeed. What a great group.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I saw them live at austin city limits a couple years back. one of my favorite shows ever. dave gahan is a magnetic frontman. depeche mode is some intense badass stuff. check out johnfrusciante and dave doing policy of truth!

and the john frusciante thread i bumped today lmao

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Depeche Mode
    INXS
    Tears for Fears

In that order

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, love all their music too! I wish I had a chance to see INXS, I'm definitely seeing DM when they tour. I did get to see Tears, and they were excellent.

Houstunna likes this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I was in the Navy, stationed overseas, I had a couple friends who were Depeche Mode fans, so I started listening to them in earnest. At the time, anyway. Loved their stuff. "Enjoy the Silence" and such.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

4.5 out of 5!! Can't wait to hear the rest.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

My all-time favorite Depeche Mode song..

18. LonghornFan

Wow...

Was not expecting this. The album was released today, and it's absolutely GAME ON for DM again. Fantastic album, the best since Ultra in my opinion. Has the Violator like vibe and dark sounds. The entire album is great, but my standout fave is Cover Me. Reminds me of old school DM, just a nice, dark groove. A+ guys! See ya at that crappy ass Venue in the Woodlands in September. Know idea why you keep playing that **** hole.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"It's No Good"

mikol13 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

This is a very good album.

I am surprised by how good it is.

mikol13 likes this.