1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AJ Bouye signs 5-year, $67M deal with Jaguars

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Actually JJo age has caught up to him big time. Last season he was horrible and incredibly inconsistent. KJax often miss games but his game also regressed last season. Kevin Johnson needs to stay healthy but his broken foot is a concern.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McNair said they have a plan but I fail to see it. It seems like they make knee-jerk moves.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Franchise tagging Bouye had a lot downside as well. Even after the Brock trade, tagging Bouye would've eaten up about 1/2 of our remaining cap space. If the Texans are to make a run at Romo, they were going to need the wiggle room plus more for whatever FAs they wanted to go after. Another downside is that we'd be right back in the same spot this time next year, only you'd have 2 new HUGE contracts (Hopkins and Bouye) hitting the books.

I wanted to resign Bouye as well but it looks like the Texans had their market value set. We'll see if they were right.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans offered Bouye a deal before last season; they wanted to lock him up longer term and he rejected the offer. Bouye gambled on himself and it paid off; good for him.

And good for the Texans sticking to their guns; they had a cap on how much they were willing to pay and didn't let the moment derail those plans. He was an undrafted free agent; the Texans have done extremely well in that arena. I'm not too terribly worried about the secondary.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Geez the NFL just hates the Texans... posts like this make me hope he flops. Even though I like him and don't actually wish him to do poorly.

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Bouye signing reminds me of Dunta Ronbison. CBs are replaceable compared to the guys up at the line. We will miss him, but not worth the money for that position.

9. texian

texian Member

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Dude has been balling and I'm salty!

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yep. Should have let JJ and Cush go to keep him if need be. Texans are always holding on to the old players and letting go of the young ones. Just like Reed for Quinn.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Oops! Considering we are under the cap, it is a far better investment just having that money burn a hole in old man McNair’s pocket.

13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Yeah, looks like the Texans misplayed this one all the way around.

TejasTom likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yep terrible move to let Bouye go to another team. Maybe uncle Bob should have opened up his checkbook.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We offered a few hundred thousand less...not like we were being cheap. We were also, at the time, trying to save money for Romo.

Ultimately, it was a poor decision and the Texans lost big. But, at the time, it wasnt as simple as it may seem.

csj, red5rocket and stevel like this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

How tf were we going to let JJ go?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Johnathan Joseph? (not J.J. Watt)

Bouye left the defending AFC South champions Thursday when he landed a blockbuster contract from the Jacksonville Jaguars, signing a five-year, $67.5 million deal that includes $26 million fully guaranteed at signing and a $44 million payout in the first three years.
    Bouye's contract averages $13.5 million annually.

The Texans made competitive offers to try to retain Bouye, raising their annual average more than once during negotiations to try to keep the ascending young corner. At one point, the Texans made a five-year, $60 million offer that included $22 million guaranteed. However, Bouye indicated that the Texans' offer was the lowest on the front end of any serious suitor. He was also pursued by the Tennessee Titans and the Chicago Bears, among several other NFL franchises.

"The Texans kind of waited," Bouye said. "It was tough, man. I didn't know what was going to happen. They offered the lowest money at the front of the deal, so we got a feeling we weren't going to be there. I enjoyed my time with the Texans and I appreciate all of the opportunities they gave me. It's a business.

#417 J.R., Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Correct. Bouye over Joseph.

19. texian

texian Member

We were never serious about retaining Bouye, just like with Quin. Let great players walk.

TejasTom likes this.
  20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What does it matter that it wasn't a front loaded contract? Does that mean the Texans offered more back end money? Is Bouye planning to pull a Duane Brown and hold out in 4 years because the back end money is low? Pretty sure the Texans knew about the Duane holding out situation during the negotiations with Bouye and were hesitant to give another player a front loaded contract only to get screwed again down the line.