1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An affordable all electric vehicle for under $12k

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Mar 16, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, introducing the Arcimoto.

DD

Rashmon likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cool but it's more of a toy, the electric market needs a more affordable practical car (safe, 4 seats, trunk space), not a 3 wheeled moped with a frame.

SwoLy-D likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

From the makers of Gizmondo.

DCkid, SwoLy-D, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You say affordable electric vehicle, I say expensive golf cart.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You getting one for the Lake house?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

WTF are chicken free eggs

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Really weird to say that in the video, my first watch I thought he said free range or cage free eggs but I rewatched and you are correct he did say chicken free eggs.

I think I may have seen one carton of vegan eggs in whole foods now that I think about it... The thought of that makes me want to puke though.

[​IMG]

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would drive that if I lived in the middle of Tokyo, NYC, or London. Somewhere that I would not have to go over 40-45mph.

No thanks on a highway.

In saying that Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota and everyone else better pick their game up when it comes to non fossil fuel transportation. It's coming

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I bought my hybrid used for 12k. I'm good

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That literally sounded like it was going to be an SNL skit about 5 different times.

11. Bandwagoner

It's half the utility of a motorcycle with none of the fun and twice of the cost.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

How does something that has multiple seats, cargo space, and is clearly safer and likely more comfortable have half the utility of a motorcycle?

13. Bandwagoner

I didn't catch what the capacity of the optional closed cargo box was on it but even a tiny kawasaki versys easily carries 100 liters of locked waterproof capacity along with two people at 100+ mph for 250+ miles. you can lane split through traffic and get on whatever freeway you want. (things the Arcimoto can't do)

Their site is light on specs but look at the tiny tires. Those suckers would get swallowed in a pothole or railroad tracks. How far is the suspension travel? Comfort on local roads is pretty dependent on that.

#13 Bandwagoner, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, but.....

11,900 base price
    -10,000 gas savings
    = Wow (basically free)

Bandwagoner likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

From their website: The rear storage area can fit several grocery bags as standard, and can also be expanded by folding down the rear seat. The Deliverator option of the SRK will come without a rear seat, and a fully-expanded storage area.

So apparently it comes in a 1 seater option with more cargo room. I assume these guys took advantage of that larger frame and created more storage space than a mid-level motorcycle would have. If nothing else, the 2nd seating area means far more cargo space regardless.

And yes, while 2 people can travel on a motorcycle, I don't think most people would. Especially not the target market for this vehicle. As a second passenger, which would you rather ride in at 60+mph for 60+ minutes at a time?

Lane splitting is illegal everywhere but Cali, right?

Also not sure about what roads this thing is legal on?

The tires/suspension I can't speak to.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Or a $1,900 golf cart.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, but....

5,000 golf cart
    -10,000 gas savings
    = Wow (you get paid to play golf)

Joshfast likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

If it is open to the air and not a locked cargo box then you can't make any other stops after the store which is a real PITA. If you drop a passenger you get more cargo with the hard door option I agree that is more cargo but for a utility comparison the staggering difference in range/speed/price is much more dramatic. I would say both a motorcycle with luggage and that thing can make a grocery trip with a passenger.

For touring your 60 mph for 60 miles almost assuredly isn't possible on that thing. Which means recharge before an hour of travel which means I'd much rather have been there hours ago on the real motorcycle. Bigger battery, hard door option it goes from premium motorcycle pricing to much higher.
    I split in Houston all the time. I am comparing to a motorcycle because this is a motorcycle but not a very good one for anything. Commuting? Touring? Sport? all better covered by different motorcycles.

19. Bandwagoner

Why weren't the people wearing helmets in the commercial? Because then it would show this thing isn't very safe at all. You wouldn't have to in Texas but you would in California and Oregon which is where this company is. You would need a Class M dl in Texas also.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wrong DonnyMost.