1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Hoyer: to give you an idea how stupid BoB is

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Small sample size with Jimmy... But in the two games he played, he did very, very well...and one of those teams had a top 3 defense in the NFL. Again, small sample size, but he showed more in that time period than the vast majority of NFL QBs in their first starts in the NFL. There is more reason to have optimism with him than the other way around.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like you said, small sample.....and a small sample on the Pats. Basing decisions on small samples with the Pats is how teams end up with terrible QB's.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't waste your typing. Bobby basically hates on all QB options lol.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't hate all QB options, I just hate it when there aren't good options and people convince themselves that bad options are good options or that risky options are good options.

I'll put it this way, has Jimmy G shown as much as Matt Cassel did while with the Patriots? Clearly Matt Cassel must be awesome right? If you can look okay in a small sample with the Patriots you can look awesome anywhere, isn't that what they say?

I just don't think Jimmy G has shown so much that he could be called someone the Texans missed on. Hell if the Patriots had Tom Savage and the Texans had Jimmy G, odds are that we'd have people regretting not taking Savage. It's just how it goes.

5. rezdawg

But here's the thing...did you watch Jimmy play? Great pocket presence, quick release, and accurate. When you are starting with that baseline, good things can happen. Not for sure that they will...but if you're going to gamble on any QB, he is exactly the type of player you want to invest in. You cant compare Jimmy to Cassel...a dude that attempted a total of 30 passes in college and was a complete dud before Belichick. At least Jimmy had skills before joining the Pats.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can convince yourself of anything if you want to badly enough.....and you're right you can't compare Jimmy to Cassel, Cassel had a much larger sample of NFL success to lure suckers into thinking he was awesome. Jimmy G just has the allure of being a backup Pats QB, you know just like Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer before him.

I'm not saying that Jimmy G certainly won't ever be a starting quality QB in the NFL, though I think the chance is remote, I just think that there's VERY little to go on to suggest that he would be. I'm sure the Pats will end up ripping off a stupid franchise like the Browns for him so we'll probably get a chance to see for sure sooner rather than later.

7. rezdawg

How do you grade out college QBs? There is VERY little to go on. And if someone young with a solid arm isn't what you fancy, what exactly do you want and what would be your plan to get that person?

What does Jimmy lack that you'd normally want in your QB? You cant just make these blanket statements without giving substance.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good point, look at how we grade out college QB's and look how often we're wrong and they turn out to be nothing.....even the professionals are wrong just a ridiculous amount of the time.

I just see the Jimmy G worship to be nothing but a "grass is greener" situation that popped up after it was obvious that the other draft crushes from 2014 already proved to be busts.

If it was a matter of just picking him up for a moderate sized contract then I'd be all for taking that gamble, but paying the kings ransom the Pats are looking to get from some sucker of a team? Hell no.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

For what it's worth the Cleveland analytics nerds seem to be very high on Jimmy G.