1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Hoyer: to give you an idea how stupid BoB is

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Brian Hoyer is now 4-6 in W/L for the season

he is 0-5 against team with winning records, with exception of one of those loss being a .500 team in Buffalo

he has another loss 0-1 in a massive blowout defeat against a horrible Miami team

these losses weren't even close. Not one bit. And just like today, Hoyer didn't even look decent until we were down big and he was throwing in garbage time just like the garbage player he is.

This is the guy BoB sought after and vouched for.

Our only win against team with winning records this year, has been QBs our genius coach refuse to play if Hoyer is healthy.

0-5 against team with .500 or better record

oh btw, 3/4 of his wins came against gimmies from Tenn(Mettenberger) & Jac x2

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The thread title doesn't fit the thread. Hoyer is horrible. Noted. Bob thought he'd be way better on a decent squad... And that wasn't a crazy thought.

I didn't agree with it and stated as such in the Hoyer signing thread... But could at least see the other point of view. It's not like Fitzgerald, Yates, Weeden, Keenum, etc were going to win is a championship.

Bob had a chance to get a QB two years ago... I've been a TeddyB fan but I think the game manager at best book on him is accurate. Carr seems to be the real deal but clearly the Texans weren't drafting a Carr. Bortles is ok.

Bob has to go get him a QB that can win a championship. Way easier said then done but the clock is way past ticking now. This is the year to either move up or make a big trade type move.

3. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

^really?

After seeing Hoyer being helpless in game like KC, MIA, CINCI(tie he was hurt), NE

and our offense being mostly ineffective the entirety of the Buffalo game, after our D was giving them all sort of chances to take the lead in the 2nd half.

The problem isn't in thinking that Hoyer 'could be better on a better team', it was that after seeing the pattern of how he played against teams not named Tenn, Jac, he still thought he was the best option. Even though other QBs on your roster had return result against better competition.

it's insane

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BOB was just blinded by his relationship with Hoyer, he kept wanting to believe that he was a QB that he simply wasn't. The only good thing about tonight is that there's no way in hell Hoyer can be on this roster next season. Like not even as the 3rd QB.

5. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

We will be having this conversation next year but replace Hoyer with Hackenberg

6. Fantasma Negro

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Keep gettin them checks Brian!

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

In my next life I want to be reincarnated as a mediocre back up NFL QB...

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Fitz was our answer . Too bad we never saw what it could look like year 2 .

10. mightybosstone

Seriously, is there a better job on the planet than backup QB in the NFL? You get paid upwards of millions of dollars per year to barely ever see any game time. Fans usually love you, because whenever the starter sucks, they're convinced you can do a better job. And if you do ever have to actually play some snaps, their expectations of you are extremely low.

steveng125 likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean, I'm not sure. He's had a lot of head damage hasn't he?

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I dunno. I'd rather be a backup catcher in MLB.

13. conquistador#11

just another qb forced upon B.O.B! ! Fire ricardo.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Like what happened in Year 2 with the Jets? He was the answer for NY, even he held out for more money, and then, look what happened. No thanks!

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In 2016 there appear to be about 140 catchers who received a major league paycheck over the course of the season. Without doing too much analysis, I threw out the top 30. The next 30 catchers ranged in salary from about 2.1 million to about 525,000.

16. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

I think it is pretty evident O'Brien and Rick Smith has ZERO clue on QB evaluation. O'Brien is stubbornly dense and lacks any creativity. He has no clue on how to evaluate QB. The fact that they chose NOT to draft a QB to groom years ago after Schaub fell apart, and had 3 years to address the issue and yet we are still in square one. If anything, O'Brien and Rick Smith should have been long gone by now because of their incompetence.

• They had a chance to draft a QB but decided to signed a Journeyman in Fitzpatrick, knowing full well he is a career Journeyman and nothing more.
    • After Fitzpatrick, they had another shot to draft a young franchise QB but decided they wanted to give Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallet a chance. Bill O'Brien even put on a show stating how he is sick and tired of nobody giving these two boys a chance and that these two can play...
    • After the disastrous Hoyer & Mallet experiment and the Owner publicly addressing the QB issues, O'Brien and Rick Smith panicked and decides to hand over a large sum of money over to an unimpressive, unproven QB with only SEVEN sub-par starts under his belt, ranking 20th and 25th out of 35 Quarterbacks in Total QBR and Passer rating.
      • His top performances were his 1st and 6th start against the Bears and Bengals where his Passer Rating is 113.6, completed 71.21% of his attempts, average 275 yards, 8.47 yards/attempt, and TD-INT ratio of 3:0.
      • His other 5 starts are inadequate. Outside of his top two performances, his Passer rating was 78.62, completed only 59% of his passes, 6.88 yards/attempt and his TD-INT ratio was 6:5.
    Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith evaluated Brock Osweiler from his 7 starts. Though the sample size are very limited, those 7 games did prove that Brock Osweiler is incredibly inconsistent. He will have a small stretch where he looks like a franchise caliber player but he is unable to put it together. Besides his top two performances, he was below average majority of the time.

In Houston, his performance fluctuate throughout. There would be signs of improvements and development but then regress the very next week. In the 7 losses, his Passer rating was 68.9, completion rate of 57% and TD-INT ratio of 5:6. Those numbers are actually a bit inflated from his performance against the Packers in week 13 where he played incredibly well. Since Denver, Brock has not shown he's anything more than a backup QB. The Texans have wasted 3 years because they made the decision to sign a Free Agent QB instead of drafting a prospect.

The percentage of hitting a franchise caliber QB in the draft is pretty low. But the Texans gave themselves a 0% chance because they never attempted to draft a prospect. Since O'Brien was here, every off-season the Texans are in the same Quarterback situation. Since the Bill O'Brien era, the Texans are left with more questions at QB at the end of each season than answers. The signing of Brock Osweiler was an act of desperation that failed miserably. If the Texans find themselves in the same QB situation during the offseason of 2018, then there's no more reason for Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith to be employed with the Texans.

Mr. Clutch and J.R. like this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point but you can't be upset that they (twice) didn't draft a QB and then also be upset that they then turned the franchise over to an, "unproven QB with only SEVEN sub-par starts under his belt" I mean... what's a rookie QB if not unproven?
    In hindsight, BOB should have had a plan in '14 and that plan should have had urgency. It's obvious he didn't, given the musical chair clownshow it's been since he got here.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are we still holding on to the 2014 draft? Would the team be better off if they had drafted bust QB's like Bortles, Manziel, or Bridgewater?

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Technically, we really didn't have the opportunity to draft Bortles, Manziel, or Bridgewater... But we did have the opportunity for Carr or Jimmy G...

I wouldn't kill them for not taking those guys, but that was a clear flop on the part of the Texans FO.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure they did, all they had to do was listen to the QB desperation crowd that wanted the team to draft Bortles, Manziel, or Bridgewater with the first pick in the draft.

When it comes to Carr, they'd have branded him a bust after his first season while he was struggling in BOB's system and that would be that. I doubt he'd have been given the time to figure things out like they did in Oakland....also just not having to deal with BOB's system probably helped him out too.

When it comes to Jimmy G, he still hasn't shown he's worth a damn.