1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mick fry, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny that it didn't effect Brian Hoyer. He threw no interceptions and 6 TD passes in 5 starts for them. Anyway, if we do get stuck with the corpse of Jay Cutler let's hope the supper happy optimistic outlook is accurate.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What will his HEB commercials look like?

Rocket River

houstonstime and macho GRANDE like this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Drafting a QBS is a total crap shoot. Even #1 overall picks are usually a total bust, and the odds drop from there. Drafting a QBS would likely take years, especially if the team isn't terrible. Look at the Jets as an example.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Is Cutler worse than Hoyer?

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair, we are doing the same for Romo (looking at his last good season) and not the fact that he is made of glass. Being injured on the sideline is just about as useless as sucking..

EDIT: I am actually for getting Romo despite injuries, just saying it's worth a look.

7. Major

Major Member

This is repeatedly how you chose to view Brock when pointing out how he was better in Denver than various QBs he was being compared to, while ignoring his performance all of last year. The main difference here is that Cutler has a MUCH longer history of being decent than Brock ever did.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is just what Bobby does. He forms an opinion and will accept only evidence that supports it, harshly dismissing anything that disproves it and resorting to "that's fine if you want to be stupid" type lines to dismiss the posters who disagree with him.

charlieaustin and rezdawg like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Still the best route to go to draft your SB winning QB. And certainly your franchise QB (eg super bowls and long runs for many years). Drew Bree's is literally the only exception in 20-30 years.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a difference between looking at a young players 2 seasons as a starter, one in a system he'd been in for a while and one that was brand new to him and saying that with more experience in a system they might perform closer to how they did before and looking at an old and broken down QB's greatest hits tape to justify them now. Warren Moon has a MUCH longer history of being decent than either of the 2, should we pick him up? I hear he's available.

11. liveguy

liveguy Member

He is what he claims everyone that disagrees with him is...a troll.

Dude's a clown...y'all should hit the ignore button.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

just my armchair qb opinion....Cutler/Romo's ceiling much higher than any QB the Texans ever had and have shown it on the field along with laying eggs on the field as bad as any QB we've had....but I'd still take their bad games along with their ceiling over any QB the Texans ever had. I'd still go after a QB in the draft regardless if we get either one

Heck all they gotta do is freakin complete 10-20 yard passes for goodness sakes preferably to our WR's on a consistent basis... jeez! Just 1 QB to do that and the Texans haven't found one yet lol

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's because very few QBs in the NFL routinely throw 10-20-yard passes. Last year, Cousins led the NFL in "air yards" (number of yards passes traveled from line of scrimmage to point of reception) with just 4.9 yards/attempt, which translates to ~7 yards/completion.

I don't know where fans who supposedly watch games have gotten this idea that the NFL is a downfield, vertical passing league - but it's really not. QBs simply don't have time for WRs to continually run 10+-yard routes; they'd be murdered. It's a quick hit passing league - that's why so many scouts and coaches care about how quickly QBs can read a defense and release the football.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Which doesn't mean anything more than that the fans were upset. Didn't he have a grade 2 MCL sprain? I agree with the others posting that Cutler doesn't lack toughness. He does seem to lack leadership skills.

The comparable QB that comes to mind for me is Jeff George. Is that better than many of the other choices out there? Yes, it is. Is it 'savior' terrority? No, it isn't.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Pretty sure he actually had a torn MCL, if we're thinking of the same game. Fans were upset that he finished the game riding a bike on the sidelines. Something you could do, but could you plant, and throw after doing a dropbacks with a torn MCL?

Fans are fickle, as we all know.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It doesn't help when the media pushes a narrative that he "quit" or "checked out" of the game. I think they said he "took himself out" of the game, which implies the team thought he should still be out there playing abut he wasn't tough enough to do it.

17. MystikArkitect

This thread is 9 pages too long.

PhiSlamma15 and Nimo like this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Fact.

Someone lock this thread pls. Kthxbai

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what a lot of people seem to be doing with Romo too, except they are ignoring his past two seasons and remembering the old Romo.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is ignoring what Romo did last season.....I mean, he threw a total of 4 passes, completed 3 of them and one of those was a TD pass. If anything looking good in the only time he got on the field is part of the reason people think he might have something left.

For me, Romo is the best change the Texans have, but it's not a very great chance.