1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Picking Denver makes no sense honestly. It's a cold weather city without a dome that doesn't offer him even as good of a chance to win as Houston. The only thing I could see is if not signing in Houston was a part of getting his release. The Broncos will struggle to even make the playoffs as easily the 3rd best team in their own division. Houston has a pretty clear path to winning their division.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Non-news news "update"

3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I think paying a 35 yo that much scratch is ill-advised.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  5. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

6. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Jerrah values a late round pick (which he won't get) over his relationship with Romo. Way to go Jerrah, keep sullying your franchise even further. Remind those FAs and FAs to-be that working for you is not a good option.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Please let's not praise the Texans FO for not making an obvious mistake in trading for Romo.

The bar has to be higher than that.

Hakeemtheking and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Last time we passed up on good QB coming from a neck injury. He end up winning a super bowl. JJ isn't getting any younger and clowney and merciless wants to get paid. Next year defense will be the best in the NFL. We need to go ALL IN on Romo and bank on a super bowl this year because our defensive core won't be together the year after next.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. Deuce Rings

I've seen reports saying Texans would only be on the hook for $14million in 2017 if traded while other reports say teams are reticent to make a trade because Romo's cap hit exceeds $20million the next three years. Two questions: (1) Which is correct in terms of salary Texans would actually owe if traded, and (2) how is salary owed decided (by league rules? by negotiation between trading partners?)

ANSWER: http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...pact-if-cowboys-trade-tony-romo-in-offseason/
    Apparently Romo's $24.7million salary for 2017 is broken down into "base salary" ($14million in 2017) and "signing bonus" ($10.7million in 2017). Texans would be on the hook for his base salary while Cowboys would pay the signing bonus portion. As above link illustrates, Romo's base salary rises in 2018, 2019 comparative to the lower 2017 $14million that Texans would owe

#170 Deuce Rings, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Many of you suck at Poker. Texans and Broncos are calling Jerry Jones' Bluff. Romo will be released next week.

12. Deuce Rings

There are two (maybe more) poker players at the table and the best hand wins. What if the Broncos and Texans call dealer Jerry's bluff and the Broncos' have the better hand? I'm not OK with missing out on Romo and settling for, at best, Jay Cutler. Drafting QB's is a proven crap shoot as is hoping Savage evolves.

13. conquistador#11

I'll never let go, tony.[​IMG]

Nimo and Chilly_Pete like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Last time we passed up on a QB coming from a neck injury he ended up winning a Super Bowl as the second best QB on the roster on a team that had Brock Osweiler......but we can pretend that SB had ANYTHING to do with Manning if you like.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/13/nfl-free-agency-patriots-browns-49ers-peter-king

Tony Romo in limbo. The Cowboys trying to trade Romo instead of releasing him. Good concept. Not happening. Houston (more desperate than Denver, and a 42-minute plane trip from Dallas, with Romo and wife expecting their third child) still the favorite to land Romo.

The fate of Romo. I’ve talked to people in Houston and Denver, and who knows what happens if Jerry Jones holds Romo hostage for the next month or so. But as of now, there is a line in the sand in both franchises: The Broncos and Texans will not trade anything for him. It’s still more likely that needy Houston makes a move on Romo. Denver GM John Elway is doing his best to make everyone think he’s got little or no interest, but I want to see what Elway does (and it may be nothing) if/when Romo is on the street. Stay tuned.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's really not a "wildly overmarket" deal - $14MM for a veteran NFL QB with his track record - which, yes, includes injury - is a reasonable price, honestly. And because it no longer contains any guaranteed money, it's essentially a one-year deal.

Beyond that, I think you're getting lost in the weeds; I don't think I've been too concerned with WHEN they'll renegotiate the deal - before the trade, after the trade, before next season... I just know, as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, they WILL renegotiate it. Everyone involved in going to want to do it. There's no way Tony Romo, or any other living human lucky enough to be in position to have a giant contract - is going to want any or all of ~$60MM to remain non-guaranteed.

#176 Hey Now!, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Romo is a negative asset for Dallas. To get us, or any team for that matter, to eat his 14M contract, it's gonna have to be a similar deal to the osweiler one. The only way I'd support the Texans signing Romo would be if Dallas handed a 3rd rounder or better. The league's not gonna let them get away with a win-win: lose the Romo contract AND pick up assets in the process.

JamalP. likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not true. None of it.

First of all, he's not a negative asset - they will gain cap relief whether he's traded or released; more this year, if traded, which is why they are fishing for a deal. He's only a negative asset if they keep them - and only because it'd be foolish to pay a back-up that much money. Money aise, I bet a lot of teams would like to hedge a bet like Prescott with Tony Romo.

In relation to Osweiler, his 2017 salary was guaranteed - HE was a negative asset; he was going to cost the Texans tens of millions of dollars - unless a team stepped up and assumed that salary. There is not a dime of Romo's contract that is guaranteed. A team only has to "eat" his contract until he agrees to rip it up and renegotiate it, which he would undoubtedly do because of the whole of "not guaranteed" part.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think this is the case. The Cowboys may have thought the Texans would absorb that salary...and if another team were in the mix they probably would. But there isn't another team, because of the salary.

Does the NFL allow trades where one team still pays part of the contract? That would be the only way a trade happens.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Romo likes Broncos because of Elway. There is a history there of older QBS winning, plus Romo wants to become an executive like Elway and wants Elway to mentor him on that. At least that was the word from Dallas.

Otherwise, yes, Texans likely the better team. Better line and running game as well...two very important keys. Broncos acquiring Leary may have helped them there.