1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sitting super star players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Mar 13, 2017.

?

Does the league need to stop superstars from sitting?

1. yes

53 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. no

36 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Season is already way too long.
    I would be fine with 62 games

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Simple solution to this. If you sit, you dont get paid.

3. dianelo

dianelo Member

There's nothing the league can do if teams want their stars to take rest. Play some minutes then hit the ground. Take the player out and sit hine the rest of the game or even the next game for precaution.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't get why top class athletes in the prime of their youth suddenly need to rest more than they've ever done before. They're just being asked to play basketball for 30 minutes each time. In the touch foul "soft" Era. This isn't the marathon. If you're under 30 and healthy I don't see why you should need to sit out an entire game ( and oftentimes they'll be there anyway so how much actual "rest" are they getting). I feel like this whole rest thing has become more of a pseudo helpful thing than a physical one. Get them better trainers, comfier plane seats, personal masseuses, ice packs, bengay or whatever they need to recover from 30 minutes of action. No need to miss any actual games. Rule number 1: cardio.

Blurr#7 and J.R. like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

So harsh but so true, crying at the Soulja Boy reference hahaha

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It's ok to be tired. The teams that do this are coincidentally the best managed teams in the NBA overall, and it translates to success.

Just dock the player's pay, and use it to give fans a voucher they can use for another game. If a $20m player sits, they will on average get a voucher equivalent to 50% of their ticket, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Only home teams should be able to rest their stars and cut tickets prices by 75% on such events. Also include a free hotdog and soda/beer for the fans troubles. Free foam finger wouldn't hurt either.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

But that's the problem, when people sit stars down they are usually suffering from nagging injuries so they are being sat so they don't aggravate their condition.

Also entertainment for a lot of people IS winning the ring. What I bolded doesn't really make sense since fans hate Dwight and Lebron (before) when they were always clowning around on the court.

I honestly don't have an issue on sitting but when it is too blatant like before Spurs would rest TD, Man and Parker all at the same time then Pops should get a fine for that. But sitting 1 or 2 key guys against a crappy team shouldn't matter much, I mean when the inevitable blowout happens these guys will sit out the game anyway.

9. Buck Turgidson

I don't recall Hakeem or Jordan or the other greats ever taking games off for rest, and they played in a much more physical NBA than today's guys.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or, keep the 82 games and stretch the season. They're already talking about scaling back October pre-season games, and just bump everything back 2-3 weeks before the playoffs start.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Decrease the number of games. It'll limit the number of back-to-backs. The league is diluted too much with too many games and too many bad teams now that super teams are being formed. Nobody watches Bucks vs. Timberwolves. In a league where more than half of the teams make the playoffs, that makes the regular season a silly formality.

Cut the league to 24 teams. Cut playoffs to 12 teams. Top 4 teams get a first round bye. That makes seeding more important. We still get the same number of rounds but we get rid of pointless #1 seed vs #8 seed first round sweeps. Each individual game is filled with more talent and has more post season importance.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What would happen if you bought a ticket to a concert and the star singer didn't show up?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

#kanywest :D

Easy likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

This should eliminate Lebron and Kawhi from the MVP race. They are sitting out games which should take them out of the running. It should be between Harden and Westbrook.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I hate that teams I don't like have figured this out, but the NBA schedule has always been BS. In what other league/sport can you attribute a win/loss solely to scheduling? This has been a big part of the NBA for years. You are more likely to lose if playing on back to back nights, and the record on the 4th game in 5 nights has to be a joke. It's hard to complain about this until all games are played by teams that are on an even footing schedule-wise - either no team has played the night before or both have.

Also, isn't this common for baseball? I mean if everyone played every game then Cal Ripken wouldn't be that big of a deal right? Also it's common for the NFL to rest guys once playoff seeding is wrapped up. If the NBA only had 16 games a year then I'm sure no one would take games off.

17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

A 52 game season from November to March would be awesome. And playoffs begin in the beginning of April.

Any possible chance we can get to that?

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed but a few points .

MLB is 162 games and they probably play 5-6 games a week . There's a difference between missing a few games here and there in MLB vs in the NBA

NFL is incredibly physical . Just by stepping on the field you are risking a huge injury . I suppose the same can be said for NBA , but the NFL is just monumentally more physical

I agree the NBA schedule is hard . And I agree that it's all about being healthy for the postseason and peaking then .

That being said , something has changed and there are two main lines of thought ( that I have ) on this issue .

#1 - coaches and staffs wisened up and better understood the benefits of resting . This is tangential to medical sciences improving . Because , why rest of you can't get a guy back to ~100 % in a certain time period.

#2 - ( and this is not totally independent of the other scenario) Is that players now are less durable . You have guys that have achieved incredible levels of athleticism and explosiveness , but pay the price in terms of durability .

More muscle = more max athletic ability but also reduces flexibility and your body has to give up things to maintain this level of performance .

But this whole issue just goes to show you how much of a player's league the NBA has become .

Guys are playing at a higher athletic level over a higher number of years , but the number of games per year ( for the top guys) has gone down ( overall on average etc)

This increases the career earnings while also reducing the chronic debilitation after they reitre . You see some of the old guys limping around , they are paying the price for grinding it out . Sure medicine has evolved but the basic equation of wearing down a body is the law .

This players resting thing ... Will stay a thing as long as the NBA stays a players league.

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think it's a b**** move on the part of the players and coaches. These guys are getting paid millions so they should at least suit up and play, even if they only played 20 minutes on B2B nights instead of 30+ it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

There's really nothing the NBA can do to stop this other than maybe reduce the schedule and number of B2B games across the board. At the end of the day, players can simply say they have "tightness" in their back or "soreness" in their ankle and there's absolutely nothing the NBA can do about that.

I do think it's an issue that needs to be addressed, though.

20. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Not a bad idea, but coaches will allow certain players to just feign injury to avoid the fine. Knee swelled up, lower back tightness, vagina soreness, etc. I like the voucher idea in theory and I think the fans who spent big bucks on these games only to see D-League trash on the court definitely deserve some compensation but I think that it would have to come from the owners directly.