1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

TEXANS TRADE BROCK OSWEILER TO CLEVELAND BROWNS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesnt that actually make more sense? If they are in win now mode like us they are getting immediate help (and neither guy is expensive or hurting their cap flexibility).

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If we use the cap space to sign a player that helps us now it's the same thing. Isn't it?

3. Mr. Clutch

Well we're in win now mode so I don't see why we wouldn't spend it.

Also next year were gonna have to spend money to replace a cheap second rounder

4. Mr. Clutch

Yes but my point is most of the good free agents are gone. Who are we gonna spend it on if Romo doesn't come?

5. justtxyank

Fair question, can't answer it right now obviously.

I could build you out a map spending every dollar (whether it would be smart or not is a different question lol)
    TJ Lang, Lagarrette Blount, Ladarius Webb, Romo re-sign Hopkins.

Boom, that probably eats every penny of cap space and we are a better team for it.

6. Mr. Clutch

Pro Football Focus:

Texans dump Brock Osweiler on the Browns
    Cleveland Browns get: QB Brock Osweiler, a second-round pick in 2018, a sixth-round pick (188 overall)

Houston Texans get: fourth-round pick (142 overall)

Browns grade: A

Texans grade: D

The Houston Texans effectively felt the Brock Osweiler deal they made a season ago was so bad that they have paid the Browns a second-round pick just to get them to take the contract off their books. For Cleveland, they have effectively managed to “buy” a second round pick in 2018 by having the cap space to take on that contract. This deal becomes even worse for Houston if the Browns convert some of that contract to a roster bonus and successfully flip Osweiler for a profit in draft picks, something the Texans had the room to do themselves.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I still can't believe they pulled this off. Amazing.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol except it was no secret that these two didn't see eye to eye before he was traded. they rather trade him and give up a 2nd, than to have him back in the locker room. not saying he's a cancer but not everybody is a perfect fit for a team

9. justtxyank

I'll be honest, a 2nd is a HUGE price to pay to dump a guy. They will need to do something to make it worth it, Mr. Clutch is right about that.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

We gonna sign anyone? Damn...love that Brock is gone but times a wastin

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I agree but man its the price you pay when you make a mistake. And it's a price I'm willing to pay to get a real QB. This is only our what? 2nd or 3rd time we've been this aggressive about the QB position? I'm okay with it. Now if we end up missing out on Bouye and aren't able to get Romo, that is going to suck lol

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Browns offering Brock Osweiler & a 5th to teams for a 3rd round pick; will cut him if not traded

The Browns have been offering Osweiler to teams for about a third-round pick, and are willing to give back a fifth-rounder, multiple league sources tell cleveland.com. The Browns would also eat a portion of Osweiler's $16 million contract, as much as half, sources say.

If the Browns can pull off such a deal -- a second-round pick for $8 million -- it will have been a smart, Moneyball move. As it is, they've spent $16 million to move up from a late fourth-rounder to a mid- to late-second rounder, a hefty sum for such a climb.

Several NFL personnel executives say they doubt anyone will give the Browns a third-round pick for Osweiler and pay him $8 million a year. If that could've been done, the Texans would've done it, they say.

The more likely scenario for the Browns is that they cut Osweiler and someone signs him for about $4 million a year. With offset language in his contract, that would reduce the price of the move up to somewhere between 33 and 64 to about $12 million.

As for Osweiler, he doesn't fit Jackson's criteria for his franchise quarterback: arm talent, processing speed and face-of-the-franchise ability. He finished 27th in completion percentage last season and was tied for 25th with 16 interceptions. He was benched for the final two games despite the fact the Texans signed him to a four-year, $72 million, including $37 million guaranteed.

The Browns will still make a run at Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, league sources say, and they might use this 2018 second-rounder, or one of their other two second-rounders next year, as a part of a package to try to get the Patriots to part with their beloved backup.

But they'll have to knock the Patriots' socks off, and I doubt they'll be willing to surrender what it would take. I've been told New England, who keeps insisting they won't trade him, would want the Browns No. 1 pick and more -- as much as a first-rounder next year.

Not only would the Browns not give up two first-rounders, they won't part with this year's top pick, which will be used on Myles Garrett, unless something drastic happens between now and the draft.

The Browns can also use one of the second-rounders to move up from No. 12 if their favorite quarterback is on the board in the top 10. To this point, the Browns have favored Mitchell Trubisky over Deshaun Watson, but Watson closed the gap some with a sensational combine, and still has two more chances to impress the Browns in a private workout and a visit to Cleveland.

One or both of them might fall to the Browns at No. 12, but if one goes off the board in the top six, the Browns have the ammunition to move up and grab the other.​

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we were this aggressive about the QB position last year and that didn't turn out very well either.....don't fool yourself this could go very poorly even if the Texans sign Romo.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So the grade is based on if the Browns can flip him for more picks?

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

its not easy to find a franchise qb but you have to try. nobody is saying romo is full proof but if it works out we can be really good.

i rather take that risk than roll with brock again. the texans and looks like the browns don't even want him. and both teams don't have any qbs lol

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Taking that risk is how you got Brock to begin with. You can do a lot of awful things when you make moves thinking "well, we have to try".

I agree that Romo has potential upside if by some miracle he stays healthy which is why I support the move. What I'm against is making just any move to say that you made a move.

19. conquistador#11

pro football focus would have given denver an A and Houston an F if Oisweller would have DECIDED to accept the offer made by Elway. There reasoning would be something like, "Houston misses out on the best qb arm available. Ozweiller the highly praised qb by John the genius will resume where he left off, rallying the broncos to the post season. "

Yaosthirdleg and Angkor Wat like this.
  20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

you don't think they tried to get better by going after Brock or now Romo? i don't see these as moves just to make a move. i rather them go for brock than mortgage our future to move up and draft wentz or goff. i thought you liked brock, now you never wanted to get him? lol you talk has if they've taken a lot of risk at the qb position. they don't even draft qbs so they've been pretty patient at not taking risk.