1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How are we trading for Butler?

Your offer for Jimmy G seems a lot lighter than what they've allegedly already rebuffed lol.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Isn't Butler a RFA?

I'm hoping Belichick is in love with CJF lol

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I don't know. This doesn't feel right. If Romo was coming to Houston he would be here already. Something's gonna go wrong.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Cowboys are tying to play hardball

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Why? Free agency literally just started. Why is it now or never? There's a negotiation to be had.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The only thing that becomes certain in that scenario is that you are now in a worse negotiating position than you were prior.

It doesn't strike me as a master tactician move to trade for a guy on an extremely team-unfriendly contract and just hope for the best afterwards.

In that scenario you either:
    1) end up overpaying because you're in a crappy negotiating position in terms of sunk-cost
    2) end up cutting him because you couldn't agree to a contract and wind up with nothing to show for your lost pick

When a player is likely to be released, it's super common for his current team to grant him permission to seek a trade on his own. This always involves the player negotiating a new deal with his new team as part of the trade.

As such, I would be shocked if Romo and the Texans/Broncos haven't discussed figures already.

There is no extra danger in waiting for Romo to be released, because everyone who is interested in him is already speaking to his reps.

*I should add that there is a caveat to trading a soon-to-be-cut player without a contract renegotiation, and that is a team that is desperate to hit the salary floor (such as the Raiders/Schaub trade).

#146 DonnyMost, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Jerrah is playing checkers against himself.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Looks like Bennett is off the table

9. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Butler has a 1st round tender attached to him.

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Good point. Things probably will work out for the best. This is a New England Patriots board right?

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No kidding. Romo's situation is especially convoluted because there's both salary and trade negotiation that have to occur simultaneously.

It won't be quick.

12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Wagner was really the only good young OT out there and he got over 9 million per year. Whitworth is 35 and got paid way too much. Kalil is terrible and not worth all of the money he got. Okung is always injured. Clady, Giacomini, and Beachum are still on the market to throw into the OT mix and they'd come cheap. And is next year's QB draft really that deep? This year's class seems deeper to me with Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Webb, Kaaya, Peterman, Evans etc. Next year you have Rosen who is an overrated douchebag. You've got Darnold who is a stud but who the Texans will have no chance at. There's also Mayfield who I'm not sure is even an NFL QB and I would say the same about Luke Falk who runs Leach's system at Washington State. There is also possibly Jake Browning from Washington who I'm not sure is a big time pro prospect. And then there is the very talented kid from Wyoming in Allen who is very raw and only completed 56 percent of his passes last year. What am I missing?

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Right...... so why not trade for him again?

In a trade, you not only gain control but also leverage. He's going to want guarantees; right now, he has none. And he's a chronically injured 37-year old - you don't think that concerns him?

The downside to trading for him is that you can't do as much due diligence because he's on another team. That would give me more pause than fear he'd be against securing some (or all - whatever) of the non-guaranteeed $54MM he has on his deal.

I mean, you realize if he blows his back out walking to his dorm room on the first day of training camp and can't play again that that contract as currently constructed becomes a ghost, right? You don't think he's going to want to redo it?

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

In my opinion, Cushing for Romo seems prudent for both sides.

In essence, something for nothing at a position of need for the Cowboys. And the Texans get their QB, all while clearing Cush off the books and sending him to an optimal situation without losing money.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Cowboys have Sean Lee. They don't need Cushing.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm OK with throwing the Cowboys a late conditional pick as long as Romo's contract is re-worked as part of the trade, even though I think it's unnecessary.

However, what you are positing ignores the need for that new deal and assumes some kind of imaginary leverage gained by just plowing forward as-is.

There is virtually zero precedent that makes trading for a guy on the back-end of a wildly overmarket deal a good idea without negotiating a new contract prior.

No teams do that. Not sure why you think we should be the exception in this case.

#156 DonnyMost, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    justtxyank likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Whitworth has consistently been one of the best offensive linemen in the entire league, like top 2-3. He got money he deserved. Duane Brown as an example has never been as good.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! You guys are determined to pick our defense apart.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm okay with Romo working for Fox.

20. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I've been monitoring Romo-related stories daily across the internet for two months. While I can't offer any proof, the vibe I'm getting is Romo will choose Denver if released. If so, a trade might be our only option and if I'm the Texans' brass, I think it's time to explore this option. We're trying for a Super Bowl here, not just the playoffs and I don't see any other option out there at QB that makes this more possible. Time to go all in before it's too late.