1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's real now. What would you give up for Tony Romo?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well the last time McNair said we'd draft one, we did (Savage). He's publicly stated we'll being looking to draft one so I'm thinking it's happening.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

Not a big fan of Romo but how awesome would it be if it would click for him health wise and turnovers at the worst possible moment wise to get to the superbowl with a player that the cowboys let go?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Rick: John, we're not giving up assets for Romo. We'll compete in open market.
    John: Neither are we Rick. Good luck in FA.
    Rick: You too.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(After John stops laughing, calls Jerry Jones and offers him a conditional late round draft pick.....)

5. ipaman

You're operating from a position of fear. Trust me, no one involved fears losing out on Romo. I've think you're position is that of a longtime Houston Sports.

I think I'm right because if I was wrong Romo would have already been traded and because he hasn't it proves that neither Rick Smith or John Elway will give up assets for Romo. They will both take their chances in FA.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Edited.

Justtxyank cleared it up... I had it wrong.

7. Hey Now!

I know some folks in Dallas... Romo and the Jones family are very tight... VERY tight. So Jones has every intention of doing right by Romo. Or, rather - he HAD every intention... There's a reason Romo's "good-bye" video appeared on the day he was SUPPOSED to be cut - he thought, informal handshakes and all, that he and Jones had agreed on a path forward. That Jones is obviously rethinking that plan... muddies the waters significantly.

And my GUESS.... that Jones has seemingly had a last second change of heart... it may be pure delusion on his part - or.... it might be that a market is developing and he wants to see it play out. (Or, at the very least, with the shocking Osweiler deal, he THINKS a market can develop.)

So, no - I don't think his having not been traded yet is meaningful because I don't think Jones thought it was a viable option until something clicked yesterday.

8. ipaman

Jerrah's ego is what clicked. He's disgracing Romo by not having cut him yet as "promised." Jerrah's greed and ego are making his forked tongue reappear. He'd rather get a moldy cracker in trade than "DO RIGHT" for his "friend" Romo.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

10. Hey Now!

If they had a handshake agreement, and Jones is now reneging on it because the landscape dramatically, and unexpectedly, changed yesterday and he wants to see if he can squeeze an asset out of it to help improve his team... That would be kind of dick-ish, I guess - but I don't see what it has to do with his ego. He's doing what's best for the Cowboys.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Eh? You don't really gain any leverage on Romo by trading for him. Why? Because nobody in their right mind is keeping him on their roster at his current salary. Any trade will be contingent on a new multi-year deal being agreed upon with his new team. If you trade for Romo without a new deal in place, you have effectively given Romo ALL the leverage because you already have a sunk cost on an unsustainable contract.

If he hits the open market the same salary war will take place then that is currently taking place now.

If Romo agrees in principle to terms with BOTH Denver and Houston, then the trade war begins.

#131 DonnyMost, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. Hey Now!

What you gain is certainty; you lose control of the process once he hits the open market.

Same principle applies to Romo; he's an oft-injured 37-year old with no guaranteed money left on his contract. Frankly, his desire for a new deal might be greater than his new team's.

What... salary war is taking place now? He's not a free agent. And the Cowboys have no incentive to restructure his deal - they're set to net a windfall of cap space in '18 and '19 ($20+MM both years; ~$5MM this year). That's why dealing him is so enticing - it immediately frees up money (as opposed to a June 1 cut) AND he's off the books moving forward (they'd have to carry $8.9MM on the '18 cap if he's released).

13. Fantasma Negro

Broncos strengnthening their o line

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so much strengthening it as it is patching a hole that opened when their LT left.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sounds like there is absolutely nothing left on the FA market at OT worth pursuing and its sh***ty OL draft. Unless he's got a trade in his back pocket Rick Smith is an idiot and it won't matter what QB we have.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The plan always should have been to draft a RT in the first round. If that's what they have planned, then it'll be fine. The reason why it's considered such a bad OL draft is due to very thin options at LT......but we don't need an LT right now, we need a RT and the Texans should be able to get a really good RT prospect who can come in and start day one. In fact, a guy like Cam Robinson might fall to where the Texans pick simply because he's seen as a better RT than LT.....if he was seen as a LT prospect he might be a top 10 pick.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hope you're right. I would have preferred to overpay for one of the above average OT in FA then draft one as well. If you then couldn't afford Romo so be it. You can have Cutler for a song and a dance. We should be drafting a QB next year in a deep QB draft. We could need both a LT and RT this year. Duane Brown is starting to break down, although he plays well when healthy. Rick should have been loading up with mid round tackles for years.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't want Cutler for free. Might as well stick with Savage.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think we are both on the same page for the most part. We need to concentrate on the offensive line this year. To me Romo or Cutler is worth a shot if it doesn't cost you making the other moves you need to make. The only QB in the draft I would even give pause to is Watson. Bring in Cutler if he is cheap and let him and Savage duke it out. My main frustration is they didn't address OT in FA. That is the one position I would have over paid for, but not a scrub similar to Clark which is all that is left.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Give me Patriots South.
    Get Blount, Bennett, and Butler and trade for Jimmy G (CJF and 3rd). Fix OL in draft.