1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PURE SPECULATION: Drew Brees?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pete the Cheat, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Pete the Cheat

File this under healthy debate.

The Saints are going absolutely nowhere, and Brees has already shown signs of decline.
    What would you be willing to part with to enjoy maybe 2 good/great years of Drew Brees in a Texans uniform?

His window aligns with what we have cooking here on defense. And would allow the team some leeway in grooming a replacement if someone like Mahomes were to drop into their laps.

Would a swap of JJ and draft considerations be the right move for both teams?

Thoughts?

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not just the best defensive player in the league but also draft considerations for 2 yrs for a guy on his way out? No thanks.

charlieaustin likes this.
  3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I would trade a 2018 2nd rounder for Brees.

samtaylor and Houstunna like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had this thought recently, too...but mine didn't involve JJ. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but I would love to at least explore the possibility.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Take JJ out of all of these trade ideas, especially for old quarterbacks.

I would love to get Drew Brees. Love it. I'd give up a draft pick for him for sure, something I'm not willing to do with Broken Romo.

However, all indications are that the Saints have no intention of getting rid of him.

charlieaustin and texans1095 like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd happily take Brees.
    No way I'd td trade Watt + for him.
    Maybe a first.
    Don't see something happen in here.

I might be willing to move JJ for Kirk Cousins though.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. Pete the Cheat

obviously I am not overly optimistic on JJ returning to his previous form. but I think he would carry the name brand buzz to push something like this across the finish line.

8. justtxyank

I'm not optimistic either, but it doesn't matter, he's not being traded and if he were traded it wouldn't be for an old quarterback.

9. Pete the Cheat

just to confirm, are you stating this as something the Texans organization would never do? Or something you would not do it you were the owner/GM?
    Moving a contract like that if he were to be injury riddled for the rest of his career seems a shrewd move.

10. justtxyank

Both.

The team would never do it so it's a moot point, but I would never do it because if the Saints are dumping Drew Brees they aren't going to get JJ Watt for him. They'll get a 2nd, 3rd round pick.

11. conquistador#11

It could brees, romo or X what I find interesting is..will this be considered as Rick smith breathing down O'brian and strong arming him by the local taking heads?

Scenario 1: Romo gets hurt, broken back trying to juke the merciless and clowney in practice knowing he has a red jersey.
    Talking heads" Sources confirm. Bill O brian' looking to coach Spring Branch Middle School Bears after B.O.B confronts Rick about Romo."

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'd be all over Drew Brees. He's better than Tony Romo and comes with almost no IFs. (He is older than Romo.) And his deal is intriguing, to say the least...

The Saints would have to eat $24MM (his remaining signing bonus) so there's no way they'll deal him without a significant return (It would be $5MM more than if they just kept him, in other words). But if you can work out those details, you essentially get him on a one-year deal for $13MM. After this year, he has no base salary - only his prorated bonuses each of the final three years. It's, as far as I can tell (I've never seen a deal structured like this), designed to be renegotiated after this year. But what I don't know is what happens to his remaining years if the signing bonus accelerates - does it void years '18-'20? If so, then, yes - it's a one-year deal for $13MM.

13. Major

Major Member

So am I understanding that people would only be willing to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for one of the best players in the game at the most important position in the game - that just happens to be our biggest weakness? You'd rather have, for example, your 1st round pick than be an immediate Superbowl contender for the next 2 years, and arguably one of the two or three best teams in football? Who are you going to draft in the 1st round that has that kind of impact?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think the Astros' "process" has permeated how fans view our other local teams and we're seeing waaaaaaay too much emphasis being placed on picks. (In addition to how overexposed the draft now is....)

I mean - you can't be irresponsible with picks, obviously. But if you have a chance to land Brees - on essentially a one-year, $13MM contract..... I mean........... that's a no-brainer. Same, I think (with lesser compensation), with Romo - why let him hit the open market? A 4th, 5th or 6th round pick is worth more than peace of mind and being able to control costs?......

15. justtxyank

NFL Rosters are huge and draft picks 1-4 are gold. They are vital to replenishing your team. This is nothing like baseball where draft picks are all lottery tickets basically. In the NFL you NEED drafted players every year to come in and start and fill out snaps for you.

Yes you can trade them, but you aren't trading a valuable pick for a guy who is 37 with a broken body. That is crazy. For Brees? Sure absolutely, but not for Romo.

16. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Watt won't be great for long (if ever again).

Hopkins and Clowney are going to see huge increases in salaries costs that will either mean the Texans lose them or lose other parts.

There has been football in Houston for over 40 years with ZERO Super Bowl births.

If the Texans can get Drew Brees for a #1 and a #2, then you have to do it.

The Patriots are going to fall off a cliff soon, there is opportunity to get to and possibly win a Super Bowl.

17. Nook

Nook Member

What is the likelihood that Tony Romo plays over 12 games next year? It has to be under 50%. He has played in 5 of the last 32 games. Now, the last time he was healthy, he was one of the 5 best players in football... but that was in 2014.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. justtxyank

Brees is just as likely to fall off the cliff when Brady does.

if you trade a 1 and a 2, then you aren't going to be upgrading your offensive line for next year, you aren't going to upgrade your linebacking core, safeties, etc. You can talk me into a 1, but definitely not a 1 AND a 2.

This is all moot anyway as everything out of New Orleans is that Brees isn't going anywhere.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This was discussed by fans and media before the Brock signing but Brees loves NOLA and never even entertained the idea of leaving. I don't think his opinion has changed on that front and he will eventually retire a Saint.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Sure Brees can fall off a cliff as well. There are no guarantees in football. However Brees has been healthy and durable. Also, I am not so sure that the Patriots with Brady beat the Texans with Brees. The Texans have a lot of talent at other areas on the field.

I doubt Brees gets dealt but it is an interesting idea, and getting a #1 and #2 would possibly be the type of trade that I would strongly consider if I were the Saints.