1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mick fry, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is he? I guess it just depends on which Jay Cutler we see out there. If he's the "lead the league in interceptions" Jay Cutler that we've seen a few times in the past or the "I'm broken and awful" Jay Cutler we saw last season then not necessarily.

You really shouldn't let QB desperation blind you like that.....but it is what it is I guess, at least you aren't calling for Vince Young yet.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Standing pat is not an option. If no other viable options, then it's worth giving Cutler a shot. He could suck or he could be average. However, we know Osweiler will suck, so why not see what you have with Cutler? It won't stop the Texans for continuing their search for a real QB.

Fullcourt likes this.
  3. raining threes

Yep,

BTG , cant admit Brock was historically bad last year.

He thinks Brock is going to improve, which he probably will, to only be Grossman/Losman bad.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It absolutely is an option, even if it would cause those in the QB desperation crowd to have a mental breakdown. You don't make moves just to say you made a move. If Romo doesn't come, you stick with what you have and draft a QB to be the guy in the future.

What's funny about your QB desperation driven take on this is that we know Jay Cutler will suck, we don't necessarily know Osweiler will suck given that he's young enough to potentially improve after being in a system longer. Even your boy Jay Cutler was absolute dog crap the first season he was in Chicago....and that's coming off of the best season he would ever have in his career in Denver. Honestly I see sticking with Osweiler and Savage for another season as preferable to wasting cap space on someone like Cutler. It won't stop the Texans from continuing their search for a real QB.

Now with Romo, there's some real upside if a miracle happens and he stays healthy so I'd support that. The upside simply isn't there with Cutler.

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I'd argue that 2015 was Cutler's best year.

64 percent completion, 21 td, 11 int, 7.6 yards per pass, and a 92.3 qb rating

His play in 2013 and 2014 would also be a big upgrade over Osweiler.

If we miss out on Romo and can get Cutler for a relatively cheap contract then why wouldn't you take a shot? Only way they shouldn't is if O'Brien wouldn't want to deal with Cutler's dour attitude and thinks they would clash.

raining threes likes this.
  6. rezdawg

You'd think that BTG would be all for any upgrade over Osweiler.... Given the fact that our QB play last season was worse than when we had Hoyer.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you aren't going to get someone with upside, why waste the cap space? The upside with Cutler is no better than the upside with Osweiler or Savage. You'd be better off spending that cap space on building up other areas of the team and drafting your eventual QB. Picking up a terrible QB like Cutler is just doing something to say you did something. It'll make the QB desperation crowd happy.....tlll the first game of the season or so, but that's about all it'll do.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Huge Jay Cutler fan. Part of me feels bad for him. His perception is what it is mostly because of the media. No, he's not a great QB. So what? Only like 2% of quarterbacks are. His image is what it is not because he's not a stud, but because he didn't amount to what the media wanted and expected him to be. He seems pretty quiet. Plus, he has type 1 diabetes, so I don't give weight to any Cutler slander. Not saying he's a great QB. He isn't. But people need to chill with QB expectations set by the media and let players define their own careers on their own terms.

9. Nero

Nero Member

It's funny how you are more concerned with wasting a few million in cap space than with wasting an entire season by going into the year with Brock or Savage as your only possible QBs.

raining threes and javal_lon like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The season is wasted one way or the other if you are going in with any of those guys, which is why there's no point in wasting the cap space that could be used on players that will matter in the future.

If you aren't going to bring someone in that has some kind of positive upside, then don't waste the cap space. Cutler has no upside.

11. Nero

Nero Member

The sad part is, Cutler might very well be the best QB in Texans history the moment he puts on the uniform. I know Schaub had a couple of above-average years, but with the way he imploded here, he took all the 'good' memories of his play with him when he left.

I'll say it again: you simply cannot go into the season standing pat. You can't. You seem to think Brock might improve. Did you actually WATCH him play? He has no anticipation, none. He's not going to magically get it. He's a career backup who had a little success with a team which had a great defense and enough of an offense around him to win in spite of him. Same thing the Texans did last year, except their defense was nowhere near as good as Denver's the year prior.

Cutler has no upside? LOL. Despite his flaws, he's probably ten times better than Brock right now. ANY chance to win, any at all, even a longshot, is better than ZERO chance, which is what we have if all we have is Brock and Savage.

mick fry and raining threes like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's absolutely hilarious. QB desperation makes people say crazy things.

13. raining threes

It says more about the 15 yrs of crap the McNair's have been putting on the field at the QB position.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Personally I think it's more pathetic than hilarious. But it is really weird that you are so casually ready to waste an entire Texans season. Are you even a fan of the team? I mean, do you actually care about the product they put on the field, and that we have to watch week after week?

15. rezdawg

No, what's hilarious is that you're saying osweilers upside is higher than Cutler's.

I think over the last 3 years, you've been wrong with every single QB take of yours. You're like the pancakes of Clutchfans.

justtxyank, JoeyTexas254 and Nimo like this.
  16. msn

msn Member

Cutler has a reputation of being a certified *******. Also, can we please stop paying $8MM to QBs who throw INTs?

17. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans........**** him......unless we don't sign Romo....then a few beers....maybe this 5 starts to look more like a 9.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

When you decide to pay Mike Glennon $15M over keeping Jay Cutler! :D:eek::po_O;):rolleyes:

JoeyTexas254 likes this.