1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mick fry, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Romo is definitely first option. But I wouldn't be mad if they moved Savage for a draft pick and signed Cutler for backup money. Brock & Jay can fight it out in training camp. Plus we get an extra draft pick to fill out other needs.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Then you would be wrong.

As someone that has lived in Chicago for years I can tell you that fans think that he is a disappointment because they thought they were getting a franchise player, but they think that he is serviceable and can perform with the right tools.

Anyone that questions Jay Cutler's toughness is wrong. Jay is an arrogant ass, that thinks he knows best.... but his teammates don't question his toughness, he has played hurt quite a bit and hasn't even discussed it with the media. Cutler has serious flaws, and isn't a good leader, but he wants to play and will play hurt.

raining threes likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Honestly it is literally "listening to" as I listen to ESPN/MadDog Sports/Fox Sports etc. on XM much of the day. So basically any and all of the "experts" that have been coming on recently.

But you can also google it. There is of course Darnold - who at this moment is a legit #1 pick in away that this year's crop is borderline as to having any legit 1st round picks at QB, much less #1 pick. Rosen had a down year, but if he gets back to his freshman year performance, he'd also be a legit #1 pick type guy. I like Josh Allen and he is at worse similar to this year's top ranked guys. Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield, the guy from Washington St...

Again, Darnold, as of right now, is the BIG GET. Almost on a "Suck for Luck". He was apparently the most talked about QB at this year's NFL combine, even though he's obviously not eligible yet. He's obviously not going to be a Texan unless they trade the farm for him - and that even might make sense, but if the team with the #1 pick needs a QB, they aren't moving out of that spot. If the Browns choose to just go with a ho hum QB and build the team and still suck next year, they'd obviously take him. It's so hard to project who will suck in football... except the Browns, lol. I mean it would seem like the Bears and 49ers should still suck... but it seem slike the Bears might invest in Mike Glennon this offseason, and I guess the 49ers could trade for Garrapolo or Cousins.

In any case, it's not just about Darnold, it's just a deeper QB draft with more top 10 NFL QB potential.

If you're following some of the other threads on here, you'll see analysis on the top guys this year, and they all need so so so much work. I guess I'd be in the camp, like most, that Mahomes is the most interesting. But do I really want to use my first rounder - heck, even have to trade up - for a guy who would have to break the mold of spread QBs that work in the NFL and needs a TON of work still??

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I agree with the general high level overview of your post, I am also a realist.
    I'm not sure how starting the season with Savage, Brock and a rookie means a waster year, when changing out that rookie for Cutler all of a sudden makes it possible for them to win a Superbowl (or even get there). I just have no faith in Cutler. Has he ever been a top 15 QB in the league? You kind of know what you're going to get with Cutler, on the upside. The upside is 250 yards per game, 20 TDs, 15 interceptions type thing. Does that QB get the Texans past the Patriots? Of course not. And that's the upside case. The downside case is much worse.

If they want to take a flyer on him at a very small contract... fine, give it a shot, but I hope it doesn't give you a ton of optimism as a fan.

I'm also not a big fan of the concept of "wasting their years" when referring to guys like Watt, or Hopkins, or previously AJ, etc. They CERTAINLY haven't been the most competent ownership/management group, but they also certainly aren't sitting on their laurels. Give them credit for making an aggressive move last offseason. That was their try, and to do it, they effectively "screwed" this offseason cap wise and also had eliminated the concept of trying to find that QB in the draft. Take MAJOR points away from them for being completely wrong on their move, but they made the move. Tons of players never win a Superbowl, or make one, or win a playoff game. That doesn't invalidate their careers.

And from a realist standpoint, there's no QB walking through that door. Their absolute best path is Tony Romo, and hoping he stays healthy, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. But more realistically, they are in that don't have a franchise QB group still and having to try and find ways to fix that. That doesn't make them equivalent to the Browns, or Jaguars, or 49ers. And IN FACT, the best way to continue to not be that would be to continue to add assets at other positions, continue to try and find the next Watt, and Hopkins type guys, while making smart decisions at QB - which certainly may include drafting a rookie QB if the value is right (ala a Dak last year in the sense that he went later than he should because of various reasons).

And I say all the above as a guy who is firmly in the camp that you need a franchise star QB in the NFL, and that position is by far the most important almost to the point of who cares about the rest of the team... not to that point, of course, but you get the idea.

I just don't see, as a realist, how Jay Cutler on this team, changes anything one iota. Especially to the extent he takes away PT from Brock and Savage, whom I think are and will remain worse than Cutler, but who I also would rather know for sure given where the organization is at the moment.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

I agree, i remember him taking a viscious hit to the chest last year that would have knocked alot of qb's out of the game but he shook it off.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's telling that we now have Jay Cutler apologists popping up. QB desperation can lead to all manner of crazy things.

JoeyTexas254 likes this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Such is the NFL

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You'll know things are truly desperate when the Manziel posts start popping up.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Give it time. The Manziel, VY, and Case Keenum posts will be here eventually.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Mahomes has been compared to Manziel. Does that count?

11. ABforPresident

Jay Cutler is the man, total frat star.

12. raining threes

No apologist

NFC Championship game

BTW, Cutler playing at an avg/above avg level was good enough to beat the Pats in Foxbourgh.

I'm starting to think Romo will become a Texan and am OK with Romo/Savage/Brock with a revamped OL next yr. Then trading the farm to get a franchise QB in 2018. (A much better class)

Nook likes this.
  13. raining threes

Mahomes is nothing like Manziel.

Mahomes is a much better arm talent.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....in 2010. Rex Grossman was in the SB in 2006, why not go after him instead?

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Because Cutler's peak wasn't in 2010?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, his peak was in 2008. Rex Grossman's peak wasn't in 2010 either....still not seeing a point here.

17. rezdawg

Yeah, I know it's hard to keep up. The last year that Cutler was injury free, he was very much an above average QB. He's one year removed from that.

18. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

Cutler > Osweiler

raining threes likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he had some mediocre stats on a 6-9 team with him starting one year after throwing for the most interceptions in the NFL on a 5-10 team with him starting (Injury free for him means he only misses one game to injury)

20. rezdawg

What's your point? He's a clear upgrade to osweiler and is in no way going to hinder the Texans from figuring out a long term plan at QB.

raining threes and JoeyTexas254 like this.