1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mick fry, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, dude is a dud...and players don't like him.

DD

2. raining threes

I'm not all gung ho on Cutler but he did make a NFC championship game and other than last yr has played above avg QB in the NFL. The type 1 diabetes explains some of his ups and downs.

When I think about trying to project Brock going forward I throw up in my mouth a little.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So if we look at only what Cutler did once upon a time and ignore everything he did recently while ignoring what Osweiler did in the past while only focusing on what he did last year then I could see where you are coming from. I just can't do that.

Bears fans didn't care about going from Cutler to Hoyer because the way some Texans fans feel about Osweiler, they feel about Cutler......but to some Texans fans, he's the savior. Or my homie, or Romo, or Jimmy G, or......the list is endless. That's clearly the effects of QB desperation.

raining threes likes this.
  4. raining threes

What is this championship game you speak of?

Texans fans have never seen their team play in one and didn't know they existed.

Fulgore likes this.
  5. raining threes

I can

And no I don't think Cutler is a savior.

I do think Jimmy G is a longterm starting NFL QB and think Mahomes is the best QB in this draft but still not as good as Jimmy G.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. raining threes

I like the Wyoming QB.

On the fence about Rosen, he's got talent to be great, but something seems to be missing.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

[​IMG]

justtxyank and raining threes like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

City hasn't seen one in 37 years. Yikes

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't know what experts you've been listening to. None I've seen say this is a bad draft forQB. It may not be the best, but it's not terrible. If the Texans are going to get their QB it had better be in this upcoming draft.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dude, do you not understand that he was hurt last year? The last time he was healthy was in 2015, which isn't that long ago. You're making it seem like he played well a decade ago.

He played behind an OLine that was worse than the Texans last year...played hurt...and still threw for a higher YPA and rating compared to Brock. And unlike Brock, at least Cutler was able to have a standout game in such a limited time. Against the Vikings defense (at the start of the year when they were lights out), Cutler threw for 250 yards, 8+ ypa, and 100 rating.

The only thing about Cutler is his attitude and personality...but from a talent perspective, comparing him to Brock is like comparing Lincoln to Trump.

And if it comes at a price tag of less than 10 million, then why the F not if we don't have Romo/Jimmy G/Cousins/Glennon/or any other non rookie QB? We will NOT win with Brock and Savage...and this might be the final year we have this defense together. The window is closing and any upgrade to the QB position should be welcomed. It's not desperation, it's just a matter of figuring out a way where we don't have the worst QB play in the NFL...and by making sure Brock is nowhere close to that, we will achieve that goal.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a perfect excuse for his poor play, just suggest that he was hurt the whole time because we know he got hurt eventually. Anyway, feel free to pin your hopes on Jay F'n Cutler, but literally everyone in Chicago would laugh at you for it.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, "not the best", c'mon man, you don't actually believe that this isn't a terrible QB class. I don't believe you. I've heard multiple people suggest that there likely isn't a QB in this class worthy of a top 20 pick and probably not more than one or maybe two worth drafting in the first 2 rounds. This is an unbelievably terrible QB class.

13. rezdawg

It's not an excuse...it's reality. He was doubtful with a right thumb injury in each of the last 3 games he played before being out for the year. In other words, he played 2 games...then had a thumb injury (which, I'm guessing you'd understand makes it difficult to throw the ball) for the next 3 games where he was listed as doubtful and missed every practice leading up to the games.

Care to make another false claim?

So yeah, I don't put much weight into his performance in 2016. And anyone that does, is quite frankly, stupid.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well then, let's hope you are right and everyone else is wrong and then we'll hope that the Texans sign Jay "the savior" Cutler to come here and prove that the entire Bears fanbase (you know, the people that watched him most closely over the last 8 years) was wrong about him and he's actually awesome instead of terrible.

Also interestingly enough, in those 2 completely healthy games he had 2 interceptions and one TD, passed for less than 220 yards in both games and his team lost both of them easily due to no offense being played whatsoever......but I'm sure that's someone else's fault too. Funny enough, he had his one non terrible game of the season during the time you said he was injured. Oh well I'm sure you know what you are talking about and everyone else in the world who knows he's a really bad QB is just being mean.

Gotta love it when that kind of hope is the plan.

15. rezdawg

LOL, love the fact that your initial assessment was so wrong, then you have to try to grab onto something else to state your case. Lets make this simple for you...

Cutler is not my savior. I prefer Cousins, Jimmy G, Romo, Tyrod Taylor, and Glennon to Cutler. But, Cutler is an upgrade to Osweiler. I don't care if it costs 8 million dollars for a small upgrade, it's still worth it...because Osweiler/Savage combo will not do a damn thing for the Texans.

P.S. I love how you still look at the box score in assessing Cutler's performance. Watch him and you will see a far better QB than what we rolled with last year. EDIT: I'm also thinking that maybe since you were so clueless on the fact that Cutler was hurt in 3 of the 5 games he played in, maybe you shouldn't be the one trying to assess his game? Just food for thought.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not the biggest Cutler fan but no doubt he has arm talent and who knows we may just catch lightning in a botlle.

#56 mick fry, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cutler has supreme talent, even now.

However, setting aside his attitude for a minute and the fact that players apparently don't like him, he is a bonehead ok the field. When situations get tight he tries to win the game on one throw every time. His interceptions are Brock osweiler terrible, throwing bombs into triple coverage, throwing 100mph fastballs to guys with a linebacker in front of them, etc.

I won't dispute that he's an upgrade over osweiler, but he isn't going to get you to the promised land. His history tells you he will make a string of really bad decisions at some point. Obrien would go nuts dealing with this crap. At least osweiler was a pro about it all, cutler will pout and b****.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I'll take Cutler over Brock.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Huge upgrade over Brock but like Savage he's made of glass.

20. Nero

Nero Member

I know one thing for sure in all this mess: If we go into the season with only Savage, a drafted rookie and Brock as our quarterbacks, then this entire year will be a waste. You know before the first game is even played that this team has zero shot at a title in that situation.

ZERO.

The only real reason to play games in a season is to try to win that Super Bowl trophy. If you know before the first snap in the first game that you have no chance, then you are in very real danger of losing the team, and having this whole franchise spiral into oblivion. Cleveland, San Fran, Jacksonville, Jets, etc etc. Those teams are mired in perpetual mediocrity-or-less.

Do any of you REALLY want to waste another entire year of Watt's career? Or Hopkins? Or even Clowney, or any of the other guys who have spilled their guts for this team?

You *HAVE* to make a move at QB, and drafting a project, even in the first round, will do nothing to improve our chances THIS season.

We MUST make a move for a competent QB.

Ideally, Romo is the guy. He is far and away the most ready for 'Win right now' on a team that is a QB and maybe a couple of O-line parts away from being complete enough to compete for a title. Is there risk? Of course there is. But there is risk for every player, on every down. Did anyone expect Watt to miss an entire season? When he comes back, is he going to be tagged with the 'brittle' albatross around his neck now for the rest of his career? Of course not. This game is all about MANAGING those risks. If you know you need to keep the QB upright, then you do everything in your power to make sure that happens.

In any case, if the Texans let Denver outbid them for Romo, then I can see Cutler as being the guy. Not because I love Cutler - the guy has what Mike Newlin would call 'an ignominious physiognomy' - meaning he simply carries himself in a way that people perceive to be 'sour'. And maybe he is just a sour coach-killer, and no team he plays for will like him. Or maybe he was just playing for a sucky team, sucky coaches, and a bloodthirsty Chicago media and city who rode him into the ground constantly. I don't know if that's the case, but I do know that our media here in Houston is absolutely harmless to our players. Cutler could thrive in this environment, maybe.

The real question would be whether or not BO'B would be able to coach the offense well enough to put the guy in position to succeed. Same goes for Romo really.

Either way, it's a better proposition than going into a season already knowing the team is wasting its time with Savage, Brock and a rookie.

Yaosthirdleg and Angkor Wat like this.