1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jay Cutler wants to play for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mick fry, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Cutler's problems are not talent or physical. His personality, leadership skills, lack of toughness and work ethic is why he is available.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hes better than Brock. At this point a competent QB puts this defense in the AFC title game. The window is open now. Dont have time to wait on a rookie.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

OBrien would commit murder if he had to coach Cutler.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Hoyer was better with the bears.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

That makes three of us!!

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

your suggestion is to stand pat? then wait on a rookie? we can just do that if we strike out this year. ain't no way we start the season with the same QB core. the window gets smaller every year, you have to take shots.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would probably have a career ending injury coming out of the tunnel.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Would love him here . He makes throws that only a few QBs could make. If we get him, then our 1st 3 picks should be linemen to keep him upright.. SB bound!

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's sometimes better than Brock. Sometimes worse. And while I've 99% given up on Brock ... I think I'd rather test Brocks 1% potential as a backup to someone else (Savage, Romo, someone else) than go with Curler who has basically 0% chance of taking the team past the second round... which is where they are.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would too especially if the check has been deposited.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be a great IR stash candidate every season.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No that's not my suggestion. And believe me I've been riding the Texans for their QB incompetence for years.

I'm just saying I don't think cutler does anything short term or long term for this team. I think he's worse than standing pat.

Regarding rookies... all the experts - who granted are hit and miss on QBs... but it's really a universal commentary on this draft - note that the QBs in this draft basically suck and next year it's the exact opposite.

I'd go after Romo. Short of that, given the situation they're in for one more year cap wise because of Brock, the strategy that the realist in me knows makes the most sense is to use assets to shore up the rest of the team and then try and attack the QB position again next offseason when Brocks cap hit is gone - and he's gone. It's just what makes sense.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Cutler played hurt almost all of last year.

He isn't a fantastic QB but he is tough as nails, a good athlete and can make throws most QB's cannot. He is also far better than that rotting POS making $18,000,000 in 2017.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I would agree his personality and leadership skills are mediocre to bad. However Jay Cutler is physically tough. He has played hurt a lot of times for the Bears (including last year) and has taken a lot of hits; all without complaint.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bears fans called him weak after he tapped out the NFC championship game vs Packers

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

The lack of toughness might be more reputation than fact but it has to be considered when thinking about signing him.

17. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

The only guy I like in next year's draft is Darnold and he'll probably go top five. Rosen is an overrated douche. The Wyoming QB is a total project. Falk? Mayfield? Rudolph? Browning? None of them strike me as better than Mahomes, Watson, Kizer etc.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think ANY Bears fan would describe him that way. I think you'd get more former teammates and fans of the Bears to describe him as a "rotting POS".

19. luhbron

luhbron Member

He played hurt last year. That's an important factor to consider.

Romo is my top choice, but if he doesn't work out, doesn't it make the most sense to build the o-line via draft and give a healthy cutler a chance with all our weapons and defense? I mean, does anyone think a healthy cutler, middle of the road as he may be, would have done worse against the patriots than osweiler?? Same question for savage.

Assuming he's in full health, he's our best option. And maybe wishful thinking, but I think winning and a change of scenery will also help his attitude here.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Cutler is an upgrade performance wise (85.7 career qb rating compared to Brock's 77.4 and qb ratings of 89.2, 88.6, and 92.3 prior to the terrible 2016........also a career 7.2 ypa compared to Brock's 6.2) but all of you make good points about his personality etc. I wouldn't mind bringing him in if we strike out on Romo and he comes relatively cheap.