1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 19, 2016.

1. basketballholic

All true.

I'm concerned about his length at the NBA level. Hopefully he is still growing.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What are his 'real' measurables?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No FT hightlights? FAKE NEWS !

DD

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I've grown to love how he is working on his game. Also grown to love how he swallowed his pride and decided to go under hand FT shooting unlike other bigs we've had.

Is he on the level of Rick Barry underhand shooting?

I'm serious

roslolian likes this.
  6. basketballholic

Dunno. The key measurables I look at is standing reach and no-step vertical reach because these are the two primary measurables that cause finishers to change their shots and miss.

Nanu's standing reach is between 9' and 9'1". That's very mediocre for NBA bigs and usually your dominant defensive bigs have 3-6 inches more vertical reach. His no-step max vertical reach is 11'4". That is also 2-4 inches less than most of your great defensive bigs. Hence my questions.

I've seen enough of him play that I think he could develop into a great backup big. Have to see more of him at NBA level to feel comfortable he can be more than that. But I really like his game. Those little jumpers IN THE PAINT are great high percentage looks and are shots that are becoming more wide open as the league continues to gravitate towards Morey ball. I think the little 8-10 footer is actually a very efficient look when the D is playing for the layup/dunk. Absolutely love what he's doing at the FT line too. If he could bump his percentage up to mid 80's and get a little more crafty in drawing fouls he could become quite the offensive weapon when you consider his passing.

Defensively I really like that he swipes low before contesting high. That's great stuff and very distracting to the shooter. You don't swipe to steal. He swipes and stays away from the reach but he distracts the shooter enough time cause the shooter to contort and change rhythm. Love that stuff.

And finally the man has a naturally big body. He's got a big skeletal with good meat. He ain't no string bean penny loafer. He doesn't have the elite length of a great defensive center but he has great bulk. Takes up a lot of space. And can wear some boys down by putting his body on them for 30 minutes.

As far as the draft express numbers being his true measurables, it's the forwards that like to disguise their true length in favor of making their vertical leap appear greater. But centers want to show more length than they actually have because their draft position somewhat depends on them being bigger. In other words they are marked down if they don't hit 9'3" standing reach or better or 11'6" or better no-step vertical. So if Nanu's numbers are fudged, they are likely fudged long, not short.

#146 basketballholic, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Time to coach him up

Rocket River

8. j@amc

j@amc Member

Size measurements comparable to Onuaku, age 20 (in the Draftexpress Measurements history)

Al Horford (draft age 21)
    Emeka Okafor (draft age 22)

Maybe the most interesting comparison is to put him next to Nene (draft age 20).

Nene Hilario - 2002

6' 9.25" height (with shoes 6' 10.25")
    253 (weight)
    7' 4.5" (wingspan)
    9' 1" (reach)​

Chinanu Onuaku - 2015

6' 9.25" height (with shoes 6' 10")
    246 (weight)
    7' 2.5" (wingspan)
    9' 1.5" (reach)​

It looks to me like he has a lot of room to grow and develop. We won't see the peak of his athleticism for 2-3 years. He's obviously added more strength and explosiveness during this calendar year. We still list him at 6'9 245, but I'm skeptical about that.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, thanks.

Capella came out of nowhere to help in '15. Might there be a wee deja who???

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He looks great. Nice to have something else to look forward to.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Impressed with his jump shots. Did not know he had that to his game so I am now more intrigued. Could be a solid NBA backup C. He is still young, wonder if he is still growing. Has a big frame.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

Last night was another step forward for Onuaku: 33 Minutes 24 Pts (9-11 FG 6-7 FT) 8 Reb 6 Assists 4 Steals 5 Blocks.

The assists, steals, and blocks are really exciting. . . Looks like a team leader . . .
    He's showing his first step now and that he can put on the floor.
    And you have to see his play-of-the-night, self-alley-oop to seal the win.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Glad he's been productive and progressing. I did see some things that were concerning, though. CO made some blocks coming from the weak side, but he was out of position quite a bit. I noticed he grabbed a couple of boards purely due to a height advantage, he did not box out at all. The defense was porous on a couple of his finishes around the basket, it wouldn't be that easy with the big club. Not trying to be negative, just stating what I saw.

Passing looked solid. He should continue to grow with the added reps. Just not sure he's as close as some might believe.

Voltik and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. micah1j

micah1j Member

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

I saw that but I haven't watched any tape, so I don't really know what happened in that game. Onuaku started but played only 18 minutes. He went to the bench in the third quarter and did not return. I do think that Edy Tavares (7'3") [who I've written about already] matched up on him and that would have given Onuaku some new challenges. That Raptors team that beat the Vipers is pretty good.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Continues to be an interesting prospect with a high likelihood of being a meh backup center in 2 years... which is still decent for a 2nd round pick.

What I don't like is he's getting blown by in the paint, and having to recover with shock blocking. I like to use both Asik & Chuck Hayes as examples of centers who moved their feet and used their body to swallow those driving lanes. Nanu is just turning his head left and right and having to recover with shot blocking.... shots he won't be able to block in the NBA.

They also need to work over the Summer at some physical stretching and movement exercises to loosen this guy up. He's still very stiff looking when he run and moves around on both ends.

But overall I think there is alot to like with what we've seen from both him and Wiltjer this year in the D-League.

On a separate note, with Ryno going out with a back injury I'm wondering if Wiltjer & Nanu will get called up. Now is a good time to maybe throw Wiltjer out for 5 to 10 minutes to see what he can do. I think if Capela & Nene are healthy Nanu might as well just sit tight down in RGV until the Summer when its likely that Nene isn't resigned.

saleem likes this.
  17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Not saying he's in the same stratosphere athletically, but his build and the way he carries himself reminds me of Dwight. In terms of skills it seems like he has decent touch and passing ability, which will serve him well here. I can see him fitting well into Nene's role over the next 1-2 years.

18. alethios

alethios Member

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad he is making progress, but I wonder if he is 4 years older than his listed 20 years old age. Lateral quickness, and lack of explosiveness is a concern too. I do like his frame, and I think he can become a good backup center in a couple of years.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Unleash the strokejer