1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Funny enough, I cant stand the way he talks either. He always sounded fake to me. And now, through a course of a season, we were all witnesses to how much of a phony he was. A big fat phony.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like what I'm hearing!!!!

pacman0590 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do too!!!!! Sounds like the kind of quarterback to bring excitement back to such a boring offense, and the kind of guy who can hit our speedy receivers deep with a bullet force pass. Anyone compared to a Brett Favre type player potential has my vote 100%. I'd rather take a chance at #1 on a possible future franchise quarterback star to bring some excitement back to our team than an offensive lineman. Use #2 and #3 for some beef if you need to fatten up and strengthen up our line, but please don't pass up on Pat. I envy the team who gets him first, if we don't trade up or end up passing on him.

#343 deb4rockets, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Has a Texas Tech QB ever done anything in the NFL?
    Fair question

pacman0590 likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My worst fear about Mahomes has come true. His performance at the combine are getting him top reviews from the experts. Now the chances of him making it to #25 are slim.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd be happy with Mahomes only if we have another QB added on the roster that can start in 2017.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I really like Mahomes but you have to have Romo or another vet too because he's at least a year or two away. I don't want Brock or Savage mentoring Mahomes.

9. Mr. Motiejunas

This guy is gonna be taken in the Top 15. Damn.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a sick feeling this will be true! I really want us to draft him, which now seems like it won't even be possible.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Has anyone else noticed the small amount of video on Mahomes' combine performance? There's more video on Watson, Trubisky and Kizer. They are talking about him possibly going higher in the 1st but not showing why.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's really going to suck watching Mahomes blow up in another city. Especially if he makes it to #25 and the Texans pass on him because of Slomo.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If signing Romo impacts what they do in the draft then the Texans are as stupid as some people say they are.

Romo is a band-aid.

RasaqBoi and texans1095 like this.
  14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm telling to you guys....Mahomes is the best QB prospect this year.

Those labeling him as a "system QB"....go look back at Tech's history of QBs. None of them have ever had the combination of athleticism, arm strength, size, touch and accuracy that Mahomes does.

If you watched Mahomes carefully, you would see that his accuracy is not a result of the "system type" passes that lead to 70%+ completion percentages...it's in his vision and touch. The guy makes throws that make NFL scouts drool, and he does it on a regular basis. IMO, his most impressive throws have actually been his touch passes....he understands when to rocket the ball in and when to show restraint.

His one and only significant weakness has been in giving up on the play too soon, which I think is being overstated by scouts. He can sit in the pocket and make the throws. Tech hasn't had a great line the last few years, so he's extended the play by moving. Maybe every once in a while he did it out of habit, but that can be worked on.

Physical Gifts - Check
    Accuracy - Check
    Intelligence - That's for him to prove to teams and scouts

The first two criteria above are enough to justify taking him in the 1st. If he can prove the 3rd, then he's the #1 pick. The only reason initial mock drafts had him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds was because he played for Tech. Again, if you didn't watch Tech football games, you have no idea how much the team leaned on him. The defense was historically bad during his time at Tech...if we got down by even two scores, the game was basically over because we couldn't hope to stop the other team twice.

On offense, DeAndre Washington (drafted by Oakland) was Tech's running game in 2015. When he left, there was a massive void in the running game for the 2016 season. We were a completely one dimensional offense, and that dimension was Pat Mahomes. While underrated, it's likely that none of Tech's WRs will be drafted when their time in college is over. He was the initiator, orchestrator and executioner of our offense.

Think for a second....how many QBs have you heard of that put up 53 TDs (41 passing, 12 rushing), 5,000+ yards and 10 INTs in a major conference and their team went 5-7? That's how bad Tech was. Without Mahomes, and with pretty much any other QB in this draft, we go 2-10 (wins over Kansas and SFA).

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I see the upside, but I think it's also fair to note, even if he wasn't the classic spread system guy.... he STILL played in that system and has very little tape as a "pro-style" QB. So no one knows how he'll perform in that type of system. Because there absolutely have been plenty of great college QBs, even ones with more pro-style experience, who just fizzle out in the NFL. I'd agree that it most often comes down to intelligence. Which results in lowered completion percentages, too many interceptions, and too much happy feet when they transition from college to the NFL.

As you note, who knows about his intelligence and ability to make that transition. Seems like it will obviously require some work.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wasn't Derek Carr a system QB?

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

If the Texans get a lucky chance to get him at 25 in the 1st round, they should take him. And use the 2nd and 3rd rounds on beefing up the O line.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Very good post. His vision and his accuracy are the reasons why I brush that "air raid system" excuse to the side. If he is intelligent, mobile and can throw accurate downfield passes with bad mechanics and bad foot work, he is well worth the pick.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Most of the highlights im seeing from this guy come from broken plays. Very Manziel like. Could work out but will need time to learn a pro style offense

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I did t remember so I google and the answer seems no. Walter a football in fact called him a developed pocket passer.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014dcarr.php

Which is beside the point. I don't think a system college QB will never make a good NFL QB... just that it's a meaningfully harder jump and very difficult to scout and analyze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.