1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Hill and Utah Jazz cannot reach a deal on contract extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Vivi, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure this is thread worthy (and the player is worth the money), but this guy should be a great fit here, at least as a plan B (or C) for this summer, not sure we're going after him after the Lou trade but still...and yeah, we could've got him with the 12th pick last summer...thoughts?

#1 Vivi, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm just hoping it means there will be a fallout in Utah with Hayward coming our way.

Durant/Curry/Paul/Reddick/Griffin/Lowry/Ibaka/Noel/Gibson/Plumlee all look like (or already are) lockers to stay with their teams, free agency won't be looking to hot this off season if Hill/Hayward end being retained as well it could really limit the market. Not to mention the good chunk of player who will be matched as RFA / or will just re-sign with their teams.

We're down to Milsap/Gallo/Teague/Holiday as the best FA if so.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Hill is an interesting option because he's .413 from the 3 this season, which is better than 'Sweet' Lou, but Hill plays defense. He's about 6 months older than Williams, but has legit playoff experience and will play great in the backup PG roll next to Gordon, similar to the Bev/Harden combo.

He's currently signed for $8/year, so if he's agreeable to something closer to what Gordon is making I think the Rockets will be in the market. Hill also has a history of injuries so playing on a contender in a back-up role may be perfect for his career right now.

I don't think that would eat up so much cap space since we would probably get rid of Williams. With the cap increasing this offseason I'm sure the Rockets will try to sign a backup wing and bring in Onuaku to play behind Capella.

The NBA really needed smart forward and centers back in the day because of the old-school style of play, but I think the wise backcourt is the way of the future for the Rockets since we need bigs to focus on running PnR's and playing defense.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Utah is in a tough spot, they have to spend a lot of money to keep their core guys...and Hill has been a big part of this year success (even if he missed "some" games)...we're probably talking about 70/80M for three guys (Hayward, Hill, Favors)...and Hood is next...

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

San Antonio, Brooklyn and Philadelphia will be after him as a UFA. Utah better pay up.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  6. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Hill will get be after a contract starting at $12m/yr easily.

Above average 3&D with passable playmaking.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think you're being a bit conservative here...not sure how he'll not get at least 15/16x...20x wouldn't surprise me tbh...

arabrocket and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

except we didn't have the 12th pick last year. we didn't have any pick last year! (in first round).

Hill kind of reminds me of a better, PG version of Ariza.

Whether its $12, $15 or $20 million a year, he's a solid player for the next couple years. I guess the question will be if you still want to be paying him that much money in years 3 and 4?

In any case, with the Rockets backcourt finally filling up, I suspect forward to be more of a priority this offseason.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

What i mean is, if we kinda tanked the last game, or better, if the Jazz wouldn't have chocked their home game, we would've been out of the playoff and got the 12th pick (if i'm not wrong, maybe it was the 14th but i'm pretty sure we were projected to finish under Chicago and maybe Washington to get the 12th pick), and that was the pick the Jazz used to trade for Hill.

Overall i kinda agree though, Hill imo is a more solid/complete Beverley, probably on both ends, but yeah, not sure he's worth the money he's going to get from us...the spots which need to be upgraded going forward are definitely one or two between the 3/4/5 (also depending on Capela development).

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Him going back to San Antonio would complete the circle. Pop finds a way to end up with BOTH Kawhi and the guy he traded to get the pick to draft Kawhi.

arabrocket likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

I wonder how much he was asking for. Jazz could pay him this year after the extension around 20 mil.
    He wants max?

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I like George Hill. He's a good guy from my hometown. However, he's also a 30 year-old having a career season in a contract year. Whoever pays him long term big bucks will regret it.

Jazz should enjoy this season from Hill and let him walk. He won't ever play this well again.

Fool's Gold.

heypartner, RasaqBoi and roslolian like this.
  13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Agree 15/16. Not sure 20. Age, plus not great playmaker. Plus, not as big market for PGs.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

San Antonio probably making plans to have him as a Parker replacement.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, fair enough

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

"The Jazz could have given Hill the remainder of their cap space this season and an extension of up to three years with annual raises of 7.5 percent.

The best offer Utah could make to Hill is for $88.3 million to be committed to the Jazz through the 2019-20 season, which computes to a three-year, $74.7 million extension plus $13.6 million this season.

The Jazz remain interested in re-signing Hill in the offseason. Hill was advised he can get a much better deal on the open market than he could at this time with an extension."

Looks like Hill is going to try and cash in big time

Vivi likes this.
  17. JayZ750

Crazy if the advice is true. They think he can get a much better deal than almost $25 million a year? Plus whatever increase to this years dalary?

Surely his advisors know that it won't quite be the free for all it was last summer? Cap isn't jumping as much and fewer teams with that much space.

Hill is good but if he passed on $25 million a year for three years he's crazy.

I think it's more likely than not the Jazz didn't offer him that much.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i was thinking the same about passing up on that much. just thought the numbers were kind of :eek:

19. JayZ750

I mean after last year I'm hesitant to make any predictions. But that's an insane overpay for George Hill. I refuse to believe it and would almost guarantee he doesn't come out of the summer with a better offer.

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL if we got the 12th pick why would we waste it to get a 30 year old Hill who is about to hit FA?