1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sure Tyrod Taylor isn't the best (potential) option?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wasn't making THE case for Taylor; I was disputing your claim that Brock Osweiler in Denver was better than Taylor in Buffalo. Care to actually defend that, given the numbers? Also:
    When discussing QB, efficiency has nothing to do with their running the football.

The Bills were 14-14 in his starts; you're telling me - with Hopkins and this defense - that the Texans can't win 9-10 games with Tyrod Taylor, assuming he's the same QB here that he was in Buffalo? That's a stretch. And given that BOB has coaxed career years out of Fitzpatrick and Hoyer, it might also be a stretch to assume he wouldn't be better. (Granted, Osweiler throws a wet blanket on that idea, but...)

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Alex Smith has an elite defense with playmakers abound, a really smart offensive coach like Reid, a good o-line, and playmakers on offense. All that and he still can't win playoff games except when it was against Hoyer.

Alex Smith sucks. Give Tyrod that level of support and he'd be way better.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In Denver, Osweiler was passing for nearly 250 yards per game while Taylor was putting up about 215. Again, Tyrod Taylor is a RB running the Wildcat, he's not an actual QB. If I was looking for an actual QB then he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

You'd have even less in the passing game than you had with Osweiler which would make teams stack the box even more hurting the run game. I dunno, the Texans might be able to still win 9 games with Taylor, but it certainly wouldn't be an upgrade.

I also don't buy into the BOB is a "QB whisperer" talk given that he made the last QB we got significantly worse than he was in the past. I don't think he'd magically turn a RB into a QB. Hell why not just teach Lamar Miller how to throw the ball?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are absolutely delusional.....then again you proved that when you were trying to call Tyrod Taylor a top 10 QB in the NFL so it really shouldn't be surprising.

5. Hey Now!

Stop it. He's a not a terrible QB; you do yourself no favors calling Tyrod Taylor "terrible." Average? I wouldn't argue. But he's not terrible. That's absurd. Give your heels a rest; I'm sure someone will mention Teddy Bridgewater soon enough and you can go to town on him.

The issue is that on March 11 of this year - in less than a month - that $15.5MM for 2018 - which, FYI, is not this upcoming season but the season after - is guaranteed. If, on March 12, he blows out both knees and is out for two years (ala Teddy B), he still gets paid. If he regresses again this year and proves to be below-average (or "terrible"), he still gets paid.

Don't be dense; you know the vast majority of NFL contracts are not guaranteed and the enormous flexibility that provides. THAT is the issue. It would be an issue for any team with virtually any QB, quality notwithstanding.

I know you know this; you look like a fool arguing otherwise.

Houstunna likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he was even average then you wouldn't be worried about having 2 guaranteed years for a QB. I think most people realize that he's not a real QB, he's a RB running the Wildcat, and you sure as hell don't want to give one of those 2 guaranteed seasons.

Calling a QB that has never been in the top 20 in passing yards or top 25 in passing yards per game "average" is pretty ridiculous. If he was "average" then the Bills would not mind paying him like an "average" QB. BTW a 15.9 million dollar cap hit (which is what Tyrod Taylor is set to have) is 20th among QB's in the NFL.....if that amount of money is why you want to dump him, it says that you think he's absolutely awful.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree.

If you can get Tyrod Taylor on a decent contract (and can still extend Hopkins, Bouye, Clowney) then you do it

8. Hey Now!

+ 40 rushing yards, which comes to 255 yards/game - why are passing yards more valuable? And Taylor had a higher YPA and lower INT rate.

Tyrod Taylor would be an upgrade over 2016 Brock Osweiler; he averaged nearly 2 more yards per attempt and committed far fewer turnovers. Again, don't be dense.

A. 509/800 (64%); 6,475 (8.1 YPA); 52/19; 100.6 (+ 1,028 rushing yards; 5 TDs); ages 24-25
    B. 511/816 (63%); 6,058 (7.4 YPA); 37/12; 94.2 (+ 1,148 rushing yards; 10 TDs); ages 26-27

B., of course, is Taylor. Care to guess who A. is?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the Bills thought that you could just add his rushing yards to his passing yards to make him look like a better QB then they wouldn't be balking at his less than average QB salary......I mean c'mon, you know the guy sucks, somewhere deep down, I'm sure of it. He's one of the worst QB's in the NFL even.....despite the fact that he's a decent RB.

10. Hey Now!

At that rate, yes, you would. Again, he's guaranteed $15.5MM no matter what happens in 2017. You have no out if Taylor gets hurt or regresses to the point of a being burden.

In 2015, he finished 5th in YPA: 8th in QB rating. As mentioned, he regressed in 2016 (21st and 18th) - but was also reportedly playing with an injury that eventually required surgery.

I'm going to type...... very...... slowly......: it has nothing to do with 2017. If, in 17 days, he's on their roster with his current contract, his 2018 salary is guaranteed. Are you so dug in here that you can't understand the ramifications of that and why few, if any teams, would lock into that kind of inflexible deal?

I mean, you're not stupid... wait - are you? Maybe you are...... Tell ya what, find me another QB who's salary the year after this is guaranteed. Not, like, rookie deal QB. Give me an established veteran who's (nearly) full year salary in 2018 is already locked in. Go on............ let's hear it.......

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Statistically, Taylor is a top 10 QB in the NFL. I never tried to make the claim that he was a top 10 QB, that question from me came about because I was genuinely curious if you could even name 10 QBs that you haven't trashed at some point, that was just an aside.

Taylor is better than Smith and is better than Osweiler, that is the claim here and once again you've failed to prove why that is false.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

BTG only likes really bad QBs, eg Ryan Mallet and Brock Osweiler

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

I did some of the heavy lifting for you...

As of March 11, 2017:
    Matt Ryan is guaranteed exactly $2.4MM in 2018.
    Aaron Rodgers is guaranteed exactly $.5MM in 2018.
    Tom Brady is guaranteed exactly $0.00MM in 2018.
    Drew Brees is guaranteed exactly $0.00MM in 2018.
    Ben Roethlisberger is guaranteed exactly $0.00MM in 2018.
    Russell Wilson is guaranteed exactly $0.00MM in 2018.

The Bills? In 17 days, they're going to owe Tyrod Taylor $15.25MM regardless of what happens in 2017. It's a remarkably stupid contract, given out by a remarkably stupid franchise that they are now (rightly) desperate to course-correct; likely because they figured out they're about to lock-in a QB for $13MM more than the six best QBs in football combined for the season after this one.

I don't care if Taylor is good, average or bad... NFL teams don't guarantee salaries two years out. THAT is why he might not be a Bill next year. Period.

14. Hey Now!

You misspelled white.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

QB's almost always get more than one year guaranteed. Teams don't mind so long as they think the QB can be at least approaching average. If you are worried about 2 guaranteed seasons as the 20th highest cap hit among QB's then you think that QB is absolutely terrible.

Statistically according to a BS metric that ESPN invented, sure. According to any sane statistical analysis he's not even top 20. Since you don't get that, we can let this be the end of the conversation, we've already wasted far more time than is necessary talking about a garbage QB.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be stupid. Mr. Clutch can't help himself, you probably can.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH
    Matt Ryan had 33 mil guaranteed when he signed
    Aaron Rodgers had 33 mil guaranteed when he signed
    Tom Brady took a sweetheart deal and "only" had 28 mil guaranteed when he signed
    Drew Brees had 24 mil (100%)guaranteed when he signed
    Ben Roethisberger had 31 mil guaranteed when he signed
    Russell Wilson had 31 mil guaranteed when he signed

You can't just find QB's nearing the end of their guaranteed money in their contracts and pretend like they didn't get multiple years guaranteed. Almost EVERY QB gets at least 2 years guaranteed.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lol. We are sure.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Even if osweiller was better in denver than taylor was in buffalo, why is what brock did in denver relevant? I don't understand that argument?

20. Hey Now!

Those are (mostly) SIGNING BONUSES, Bobby; teams pay those up front and then, for cap purposes, spread the amount out over several years. That is not the same thing as guaranteeing his salary. Taylor already received his signing bonus (~$3.5MM).

Having said that, I read the details of his contract wrong and while it's still a dumb contract, it does narrow the gap a bit... On March 11, an option bonus kicks in that pays $15.5MM *and* guarantees his 2017 salary ($12MM) (I originally read that $12MM as his '18 salary; it's '17.) In addition, it also guarantees $3.25MM of his 2018 salary. That means, regardless of what happens between March 11 and the start of the season, they must pay him $30.75MM. If one of his legs literally falls off on March 12... he's still getting a check for $30.75MM.

While we can argue where on the scale Taylor sits, in terms of quality - I think we both agree that guaranteeing him $30.75MM is not commiserate with his performance. However, it still remains that money is the issue... not talent, in terms of the Bills possibly moving on. They want a new contract.