1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sure Tyrod Taylor isn't the best (potential) option?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's now made 29 career starts, all the past two years with Buffalo. Over that stretch, he's completed 63% of his passes at a favorable 7.4 YPA clip; thrown 37 TDs to just 12 INT (+ another 10 rushing TDs) and posted a 93 QB rating. Granted, he regressed last year - but he was also reportedly playing with a groin injury that eventually required surgery this offseason.

He'll turn 28 in August, young enough to still potentially be a long(er)-term solution (he's just two years older than Garoppolo) and would (likely) come with fewer risks - and a cheaper salary - than Romo. Also, a much smaller ceiling; he's probably Alex Smith 2.0 (less accurate but a bigger run threat) - which wouldn't be a deal-breaker for this team. They could win *a lot* of games with Alex Smith 2.0.

I don't know a lot about him beyond stats; I don't believe I've ever seen him play. But it feels like an under-the-radar move that could be sneaky brilliant? Osweiler aside, BOB coaxed career years out of Fitz and Hoyer.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we're sure. I think the best you could hope for out of him is Alex Smith 0.5

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd prefer Romo. Bigger risk. But bigger reward. Ignoring money and cap.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Which is miles better than Brock Osweiler.

I would love to have Tyrod Taylor on the team, but I think some team is going to give him a bigger contract with more guaranteed money than we are. Romo makes sense because we can structure the contract in a way that's manageable for us and Romo is focused on winning a SB at this stage of his career.

Fulgore likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Better than Osweiler was last year, yes, better than Osweiler was in Denver? No.

Either way, the point is if you have Tyrod Taylor as your QB, you need a new QB so that kind of move would be pointless.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Taylor has better stats than Osweiler did in Denver and he's also had better stats than Alex Smith.

edwardc likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm perfectly fine with you thinking that.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uhh, it's not thinking, but it's telling that you consider numbers equivalent to "thoughts"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Total QBR, Taylor is 9th in the NFL, Smith is 11th, Osweiler is 22nd (lol)

Last year, Osweiler was 20th, Taylor was 7th, Smith 13

9. Hey Now!

Eh...

Osweiler (7 starts): 156/251 (62%); 1,821 (7.3 YPA); 9/5; 87.8 (+ 61 rushing yards; 1 TD)
    Taylor (29 starts): 511/816 (63%); 6,058 (7.4 YPA); 37/12; 94.2 (+ 1,148 rushing yards; 10 TDs)

Per game:
    BO: 22/36; 260 (7.3 YPA); 1.3 TD/0.7 INT + 9 rushing yards; .14 TD
    TT: 18/28; 209 (7.4 YPA); 1.3 TD/0.4 INT + 40 rushing yards; .34 TD

Osweiler threw more; Taylor rushed more and was (slightly) more efficient. He's better than you think he is.

I don't disagree he's not currently the answer (in terms of being a long-term franchise QB) - but could he be under BOB?...

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's telling that you think "Total QBR" is a valid metric, it's also proof that there's no point in engaging you in this kind of discussion. It's pretty clearly over your head.

If Tyrod Taylor truly was a top 10 QB like you apparently have deluded yourself into thinking

1. The Bills would have been a MUCH better team
    2. The Bills wouldn't be looking to get rid of him.

Anyway, thanks for trying.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I thought we were talking about him as a QB, were you suggesting bringing him in as a backup RB? I could see that I guess.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Then name 10 QBs superior to Taylor. You probably can't even find 10 QBs that you haven't called overrated at some point. That's just your thing, every QB sucks.

13. Hey Now!

Why do rushing yards (and, maybe more importantly, rushing TDs) not count?

But, if you want to remove them - which, again, is silly and disingenuous - let's do it: how was Brock Osweiler better *as a passer*?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL OMG are you really doubling down on the notion that Tyrod Taylor is a top 10 QB in the NFL? That's amazing!

Okay, well just to name 10 REALLY easily

Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Matt Ryan
    Aaron Rodgers
    Phillip Rivers
    Matt Stafford
    Andrew Luck
    Andy Dalton
    Derek Carr
    Ben Roethlisberger

I mean, that's 10 and it was off the top of my head and I could keep going. If you truly believe that Tyrod Taylor is even close to a top 10 QB then you should never watch football again, you clearly have no clue what is going on when it comes to that sport.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When your case for a QB is how they are at being a RB, you aren't making a very good case for them. I think the point here is that in no way is Tyrod Taylor ANYONE'S solution at QB be it temporarily or long term.

16. Hey Now!

Money is the issue, Bobby. If he's on their roster, with his current contract, March 11, it guarantees him $31MM the next two years, regardless of health. The Bills want out of that deal and a restructure is still on the table. They're not necessarily "looking to get rid of him."

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not the only issue, the number one issue is that he's a terrible QB. If he was a top 10 QB like the ironically named "TheRealist" suggests then paying him 15.5 mil a year wouldn't be an issue at all. Of course given that even with him they have no QB, it makes sense for them to want out of that. If he was even a top 20 passer in the league then they might consider it, but he's not capable of that.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You've called Rivers and Luck overrated in the past, but I don't disagree with your list.

Anyways, the original question was is Tyrod Taylor better than Alex Smith and Brock Osweiler. The answer is yes to both questions.

19. YaosDirtyStache

I think I will pass on this one.

Dude is garbage juice plain and simple.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely I've called them overrated, but there's a difference between being overrated and being a bad QB like Tyrod Taylor. If given the option, I take Alex Smith over Tyrod Taylor any day and Alex Smith is nothing special. When it comes to Osweiler, if the best he could do was what he did last year then I'd consider Tyrod Taylor over him, if he could get back to how he was playing in Denver then I take Osweiler over Taylor.

It comes down to if you are looking for an actual QB or if you are looking for a RB running the Wildcat