1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

#2017-dontberangersbitchesagain

msn and JoeyTexas254 like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was in the best shape of his life last season (which is quite possibly true). White showed some positives late in the season as well. It will just be difficult for him to crack the roster with his limited defense.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Haha, he actually fractured his fibula. But to protect my insider identity, I will say that I either broke it in an NBA game or skiing in Crested Butte, Colorado.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sweet spring training hat

No Worries likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Or he blew his knee out washing his monster truck, or running on a treadmill...

Those are sweet.

awc713 likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Always excited for Spring Training to start, however in about a week, I'll just be ready for the regular season to get underway.

8. toycannon

toycannon Member

I'm excited!!

New Season and New Spring Training Site...share with the nats

strosfan444 likes this.
  9. strosfan444

strosfan444 Member

Given the corporate espionage executed by the Cards, I hope the Astros front office has taken steps to protect the Stros side of the facility from eavesdroppers coming over from the Nats. The average consumer can now purchase inconspicuous video and audio recording devices that would only have been available to the CIA half a century ago. Hope Lunhow & Hinch are not storing gifts from the Nats on-site.

This is not to speak ill of the Nats in any way - just to say that any competitive organization in this day and age needs to wise up about how easy modern technology enables unethical competitors to gain an unfair advantage, and take counter-measures accordingly.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Finally we have baseball.

11. Buck Turgidson

The average consumer can also purchase a metric f*ckton of tinfoil.

RunninRaven and Nook like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, I assume you would give the Nationals this same advice?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly it is time that Luhnow and the front office smarten up and hire full time storm trooper security to follow them everywhere.

msn likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I have it on good authority that the entire front office now drinks only grain alcohol and rainwater.

Nook likes this.
  15. strosfan444

strosfan444 Member

Absolutely. Look, it would be like having to share an apartment with someone who was one of your toughest business competitors. Buck can throw the 'tinfoil' word around if he wants to, and thank God he is not in charge of corporate security - for any baseball club. The fact is, we may well meet the Nats in the World Series, and it would behoove us to make sure they do not have an unfair advantage.

Corporate spying just happens, folks, and often it involves various individuals who are operating on very different motives. I work for a company that had an information leak recently - our "sealed" bid documents were somehow ending up in the hands of a big competitor. Turned out, a policeman in the country we were having the problem in (not the United States) was leaning on one of our staff members to provide him very valuable financial data which could be stored on USB thumb drives. The staff member was not a willing participant - the police threatened to have his entire family removed form the civil service if he didn't cooperate - and once the policeman got the usb drives, he was selling them to our competitor for $5000 to $20,000 each. To put an end to it, we started creating 5 or 6 versions of every set of financials. The leaks continued to happen, but the information was now worthless because neither the police nor our competitor could figure out which set was the real data.
    -
    It would not take a situation in which Nationals senior management ordered espionage to occur for the Astros to be harmed. It would just require one or two rogue guys/gals, who in the end might not even use that information to benefit the Nationals. If it had value, the information could be sold to someone working at another team, and the buyer may well not wish to tell his boss where the information came from.

Being lax about corporate security is what allowed Correa to do what he did in the first place. Folks on this board can advocate laxity all they want, but I think recent history suggests that is folly.

CometsWin and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  16. HookemHorns1250

Beltran shall break the Ranger curse.

The first time he came in he destroyed the Braves curse.

I don't think it's actually sunk in that Castro will no longer be hitting 9th... or at all....It so beautiful...

17. Buck Turgidson

Jeff Luhnow doesn't avoid other GMs, he just denies them his essence.

RunninRaven and No Worries like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There were times when 3 or 4 starters were hitting near or below the Mendoza line last year. Something has gone very wrong if that is the case this year.

texans1095 likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It's pretty funny how we go from no one but our first 4 hitters hitting the ball (and one of them started 0-32 or something) to "woah man, Reddick can't really hit LHP, and even though we have subs and stuff, I don't like that we can't field a team where all 9 batters can mash LHP AND RHP" Like geez guys, how about the fact that at worst we can field 7-8 batters that will mash any given pitching arm.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member