1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. today

today Contributing Member

Good point, I hadn't considered this...

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Are you Romo fans mostly excited about his injury history or his 1 playoff win in 8 seasons?
    Texans haven't had a main QB in years and we have more playoff wins.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

2. He's 2-4.

He owns a 97 career qb rating; it's 93 in the playoffs. His last start, v. Green Bay, he completed 15 of 19 passes for 191 yards (10.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INTs. In fact, in six playoff starts, Romo has thrown 8 TDs and 2 INTs. He lost when the Cowboys botched a GW FG (granted, HE botched it - but, still) and when the officials overturned what was clearly a touchdown that, likely, would have beaten the Packers in '15.

His injury history is a legitimate concern; his playoff record is not.

4. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

As someone who has made fun of romo over the years even broke he would still be the best qb in texans history just by putting a jersey on.

If its a manning/denver type contract im all for it. Not like our qb play can be worse.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would ONLY be ok with this if they for sure draft a QB. I mean no matter who we draft they aren't starting game 1, so might as well have Romo there for that game instead of Os.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

with Romo the texans are ready to win now. i don't agree with putting all our eggs into a rookie QB/Brock/Savage. I like our chances, right now, better with Romo. you can talk up pat mahomes all you want but we still won't know if he can play QB at the NFL level. the injury history is the only concern I have but I still rather take that risk

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ok, what happens when, not if, but when Romo gets hurt again? Then we will be right back where we are now. I say screw Nomo and start Savage who has proven that he can carry this team and draft a qb.
    As far as Mahomes goes, he is currently better than any QB on the team. That's why I want to draft him. As a matter of fact, Mahomes has some of the same strengths as Romo.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think we should sign him for that reason alone.

I've never been as bored as a Houston football fan as I was last season, and I've been watching football in Houston since Luv Ya Blue.

Yaosthirdleg and justtxyank like this.
  9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Really? You think Savage has proven he can carry this team? If we're talking injuries, Savage himself can't stay healthy enough to take the job from Brock. Romo gives us a chance at a Super Bowl. Is that not the whole point of playing football? That alone is why we need to check out Romo. And they can still draft a QB, signing Romo shouldn't stop them. Maybe that QB can learn from Romo because I don't think any QB in this draft will be ready to play right away.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

When did Savage prove he could carry a team? And if you're overly concerned about Romo's ability to stay healthy, do you just have your head buried in the sand, re: Savage's health?

If they sign Romo and he gets hurt.... oh, well - it was, like Osweiler last year, worth the risk because the results should never bury the potential. The Texans are (probably) too good to ever fall into a top rookie QB (and if they did, it'd cost this regime their jobs) so this is their lot; kicking tires and turning over rocks to hopefully find a gem.

Tony Romo is a terrific QB; he makes this a better team immediately. You don't walk away from that because of fear. AND..... if he gets hurt, well - the team made the playoffs with Osweiler, who'll have another year in the system and be working beside a veteran. It's just.... man, I'll be disappointed if the Texans aren't active in trying to upgrade QB. They should talk to Romo, Cutler, New Orleans, San Diego........

TheFreak and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What do you guys think it would take to get Rivers. Does a first this year and a second next year get it done? I'd do that in a second before either Romo or Jimmy G.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

So would I, but I haven't heard any smoke from this potential fire in quite some time. Impression I get is Rivers has come to terms with the franchise's move. Of course, I say all of this without knowledge of Rivers' current hit against out cap via a trade which may eliminate this as an option. I'm fine with Romo in the meantime

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Hey Now!

While I'd certainly make any and every call if I were the Texans, Rivers probably isn't going anywhere. He has a full no-trade clause and would have a 2017 cap hit of $29MM if dealt.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If I am the owner to have a chance to take Romo, then I take him. Just do not sign a stupid lone term contract, then everything would be fine.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Savage played well enough to have Os benched. I know that isn't saying a lot but it does point to him being able to lead this team at least back to the playoffs.
    Not only does Romo have injury history but he has bad back issues which is scary. Defenses are not going to handle him with kids gloves. They are going to try and knock him out of the game. That back will not last a whole season in Houston.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No it doesn't. What are you basing this on? How can you definitively say he leads us back to the playoffs?? He showed a better ability to not throw interceptions, but he was slow on reads, and he was just as putrid in the red zone as Brock. I'm not saying he isn't capable of improving, but if you're trying to say you wouldn't roll an incredibly low-risk, high-reward dice on Tony Romo, then I have no idea what to tell you. If Romo gets injured, then we're right back here anyways. But if he doesn't, we very well could be talking about going up to New England for an AFC Championship Game.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

It says nothing. Brock Osweiler was very nearly the worst starting QB in football last year. Savage, like Brock, was carried to the playoffs by an exceptional defense. He led no one nowhere.

He doesn't have back issues; he had a compression fracture. If it heals (which compression fractures should), it'll be in better shape than Watt's back, which will never heal.

Yaosthirdleg and justtxyank like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Does history repeat itself and we see an old injured QB come back, flirt with the Texans, turn around, and lead another team to greatness?

vtjsr2 likes this.