1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the NBA: Top 5 players, Only Charles has Harden in his list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 16, 2017.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

the sad part is they are not wrong. Harden is 6.

Blunder likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I definitely agree that its up for debate. I opine that harden is more valuable but its fair to say kawhi is.

The only claim that im sticking to is if somebody doesnt believe Harden is without a doubt top 5 than they should have their nba card removed

D-rock likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Screw that, with his overanalyzing ass. Id rather have Dennis Scott or Steve Smith.

Victorious likes this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

Name 5 better than him

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  5. RCPM

RCPM Member

Who F'ing cares, that show is unwatchable...

D-rock likes this.
  6. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Are we still perpetuating this tired and misguided idea that Harden doesn't play defense? Sure, he's not going to be in the Defensive Player of the Year conversation, but on a team that specializes on offense and in which he IS the offense, he still has the 4th best Defensive Rating on the team. That includes Onuaku being ahead of him, who has only played 2 games so far. And all 3 players ahead of him are centers.

So can we put an end to this noise that Harden doesn't play defense?

I have a feeling Harden could be the best offensive and defensive player on the team and some of you guys would still be trying to make him out as a complete 0 on defense.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and Stormy1234 like this.
  7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Real talk...how can you be in the MVP conversation and NOT be in the top 5...Just asking...
    This is a hard list...but James Harden has 2 MVP caliber seasons in the past 3 years...Harden is a top 5 player in the game today.

Fyreball, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  8. Daddy Long Legs

I dont like shaq because he always pulls rank and disqualifies other peoples arguments. He doesnt refute any arguments or attack them at their core. He just rolls his eyes and says his opponent is wrong

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

lol....uh i beleive that was what the lists were for. James, leonard, durant, curry, westbrook

Blunder likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

well it's not like the guys on the list aren't mvps or in the mvp conversation either just like harden right.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I agree with defense big time. And turnovers, though I think it's overrated. I totally disagree with drawing fouls as a negative though. Drawing fouls is my favorite thing on offense. It gets you easy points & gets the other team in foul trouble. When a player starts getting to the line, that is an indicator to me that they are arriving as a star. Yes, he might get cheap calls, but knowing how to exploit that is smart to me. And don't kid yourself - a lot of fouls are hard contact. The fact Harden attacks, is not afraid of the contact, and still is a good finisher makes me really admire and appreciate him. On offense, Harden is my dream player.

Richie_Rich and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. blackistan

blackistan Member

Crazy how chuck has changed his stance on Harden. Last year he was blasting him now he seems to be sending praise whenever he gets the chance. Wonder if the Rockets finally paid him the money he always claimed they owed him.

13. Daddy Long Legs

Id make an argument for harden above westbrook and leonard for sure. Durant and Curry is close and could go either which way but Id go Harden. The only one of those players that I wouldnt try to argue against is James

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lebron
    KD
    Curry
    Harden
    Davis

I get the inclusion of Davis and omission of Leonard and Westbrook might be controversial. I just think Leonard's system, coach and culture elevate him more than he elevates them. Regarding Westbrook, I think as amazing as he is, it doesn't translate to wins as well as it should. I don't care what you think NOW, but before the season started I'd absolutely have preferred OKC's supporting cast than Houston's around Harden. And both those guys would certainly be in the next 5.

Anthony Davis should get serious flack for his team not being good... but the organization has been a dumpster fire around him. Meanwhile, he continues to dominate. 28 ppg, 12 rpg, 2.5 bpg, 58% TS%. If AD was on the Spurs, they'd absolutely be dominating with him as they are with Leonard.

15. Daddy Long Legs

I cant disagree with anything you said. I think kawhi deserves recognition and top 5 respect for what hes doing but if I was a gm Id still pick davis as a piece to build around over leonard

Edit: there are games where the rest of the spurs suck and the system breaks down so kawhi just steps up and carries/dominates. Important to keep that in mind.

#35 Daddy Long Legs, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Blunder likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Curry is not on anyone's MVP list this season, he certainly is not in top 3, which will be the only players under serious consideration.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's still a 2 time back to back mvp and current one at that. takes nothing away from him still being one of the top players in the league.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with all you said with one caveat, Curry is also in a system that maximizes his efficiency and abilities. Lebron, Harden and Durant have played in multiple systems and excelled in every one. That said, Leonard edges Curry in my top 5.

Interesting that 4 of the 5 (even if Curry or Westbrook sub out Leonard, Harden or Davis) are all in West. West is still a murderer's row.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are we not talking about right now? This season?

20. Daddy Long Legs

Curry is really really gud. We've all seen what he can do. He is crazy special. Itd be criminal to leave him off a top 5.