1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Type of player to add: Combo-guard, Rebounding Big, or SF shooter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 16, 2017.

?

Type of player to add: Combo-guard, Rebounding Big, or SF shooter

1. Scoring/playmaking Combo-guard

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Rebounding Big 4/5

62 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. 3pt Shooting/scorer wingman

25 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As we move towards the Trade Deadline on February 23rd, what type of player does this team need the most? (The answer of course is all 3. :D) But for the sake of argument, if you could only pick 1....

1) Scoring (playmaking) Combo Guard to hedge against the likely Beverley & Gordon missed games. And the ability to play 3 guards at a time.

2) Rebounding 4/5 to help in the paint. The Rockets have 3 centers already (4 if you count Nanu). But yet none of them really control the paint. Rockets don't really have a true backup PF.

3) The bench scoring/3pt shooting SF that would push Brewer out of the rotation and help the bench unit keep a lead.

Poll is added so please vote. Also, state your case in the comments.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

As we all know from Jopatholic's constant thread-spamming, our biggest area of need is at PG.

D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Have them all.

D-rock likes this.
  4. No Chill Rocket

A decent big and a legit gaurd would be nice . Why not both?

5. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Voted for Rebounding Big 4/5.

If the Rockets can establish a paint presence on offense and defense, this team would be a lock for at least the WCF.

Chamillionaire, RudyTBag and Ramo$e like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We do play three guards at once ... a lot. And note: "guarding against injuries" means a backup to Bev and Gordon. I say that, because I'm trying to understand this in terms of Value in Trade. If you want someone better than Bev, then I assume the other two choices are starter quality as well.

Assuming value of the player is the same across the three choices (e.g., Star-star-star versus bench player-bench player-bench player) then I go like this:

If we are talking Role Players ("added depth" per Morey) across all choices:

#2 ( the big )
    #3 (assuming you meant 3 and D)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    If we are talking Dreamcasting Star Players across all choices
    #3 in a near tie (again, assuming you mean this guy brings defense, too)
    #1 I consider this more a luxury, ESPECIALLY if we are talking Star level players across all choices

#6 heypartner, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Scoring/playmaking Combo-guard - Rubio / Levert

Rebounding Big 4/5 - Thong Maker / Boban Marjanovic

3pt Shooting/scorer wingman - Spencer Dinwiddie

Signed,

_holic

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Thong :D

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Another question. Is Morey willing to add salary beyond this offseason? Especially if it is a "minor / depth" move. Are we only talking about expiring contracts here?

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

It's tough to say which one is a top priority but if it was up to me I'd like to add a scoring combo guard like Lou Will.

Since75 likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would you be willing to give up the Rockets 2017 1st round pick for Lou Will?

Rocket PR and Since75 like this.
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This really is a tough question because it typically depends on which player and what they provide.

For instance Tyson Chandler would be great, but age and contract. Cost to acquire?

Danilo is great, but again free agency and cost to acquire and retain?

Lou Williams would be good but not great and again cost to acquire.

So like @heypartner said, if it's star level give me 3, 2, 1. Hayward, Noel, Lowry

If it's strictly role player it's extremely tough but 3, 1, 2. Wilson, Lou, koufos.

I ideally want 2 players. A combo of 1 and 3 type of playmaking forward and a good defensive high rebounding center.

Having to choose, just 1, it's got to be backup shooting sf that rids brewer from our rotation.

cmlmel77 and Jatman20 like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LeBron. or somebody like him. :p

14. psman2

psman2 Member

All three!
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zmo7y2d

Houston Out: KJ, Brewer, Ennis, Dekker, 2017 1st, 2017 Den 2nd, 2017 Port 2nd
    Houston In: Noel, Lou Williams, PJ Tucker

Lakers Out: Lou Williams
    Lakers In: Brewer, 2017 Hou 1st

Suns Out: PJ Tucker
    Suns In: KJ, 2017 Port 2nd

Sixers Out: Noel
    Sixers In: Dekker, Ennis, 2017 Den 2nd

Pick up a free agent PG and go to war.

D-rock and ilias like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say we need Horford, to play the 4, the 5, grab some boards, shoot the 3, pass the ball and play good defense.

I'm still pissed we couldn't get him this summer

As today, if we cannot trade for a great player, which seems the likely scenario, i'd probably prefer to go after young and cheap players like Frazier, Hezonja, Holmes, Stanley Johnson or good expiring players, like Bogut, Tucker, Barbosa, Sullinger

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hmm it depends. If we could instead use that pick along w/ players to yield a higher caliber player (Milsap/Bledsoe) then obv you do it. Or if we could use it to get lesser role players to fit multiple needs (Collison/Koufos or Tucker/Chandler) I'm down with that too. If we choose to stand pat and roll with what we have, I would rather prefer to use that pick to snag a guy like Lou. The fact remains that when Harden goes to the bench we still see a big dip in production and Lou could help us in that aspect.

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets could go out and get a combo-guard or shooting wingman with the hopes their shot doesn't fall off the cliff the way the Rockets shooters have been lately and then the offense could get back to being lethal like it was in December. And that offensive efficiency could "mask" the poor rebounding.

Or, the Rockets could go out and get a Big 4/5 that rebounds and helps control the paint to make up for piss-poor shooting and help the team stay in games and maybe grind out some wins.

18. Since75

Since75 Member

[QUOITE="Deuce, post: 10931079, member: 2940"]Would you be willing to give up the Rockets 2017 1st round pick for Lou Will?[/QUOT

Absolutely!

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'd say greatest team weakness is big man interior defense at 4/5. Dont have best perimeter defenders either, but strong interior D just impacts an entire defense more.

Greatest team insurance need is a talented guard/wing player. As I posted in another thread, Ariza simply plays TOO many minutes at his age and role. And Gordon is an injury suspect. Someone talented enough to spell both spots would be nice, or even be new starting 3. A competent 2/3, 3-or-D role player to spell minutes would be sufficient. Rockets are #11 in 3pt%, thats okay but could improve

We do need another guard to Bev/Gordon/Harden. Harden's been so dependable it minimizes backup's presense. I hardly ever say "Man this team needs a Ricky Rubio now". But it WOULD be good to have another ballhandler/creator/shooter so its not SO dependent on Harden.

D-rock likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Crap I got my numbers wrong in my posts. Edited

Your first point puts an end to Brewer, but otherwise regarding poor shooting could be trying to fix something that is self-correcting. Point two is not self-correcting. It is what we are if we don't fix it via roster adjustments. Plus it is the position where we have assets to trade. So we won't necessarily need to move a pick, or trade our depth in one position for depth in another...that is to say, Point one .arguably turns an injury protection strength in bigs to a weakness, as both Ryno and Capela can be fragile, and Nene is creaky.

#20 heypartner, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017