1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a mattress online

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

has anyone bought a mattress off Casper or helix, etc? Is it a good idea?

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I bought a Leesa. I'd say it's slightly overpriced but I love it. No complaints

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard good things about Casper, but I have no personal experience.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I tried a Casper and a Tempurpedic that I ordered online. I thought they were both comfortable enough to fall asleep in but woke up very sore from both so both got sent back. Best feeling mattress to me in Mattress Firm was a Sterns and Foster. It was very comfortable to fall asleep in but I still woke up stiff in it.

After that I figured since 790 was beating me over the head with the advertisements anyway that I might as well try Texas Mattress Makers. They were helpful in putting me in a mattress that matches my body style and were willing to do whatever was needed to make the mattress I bought from them more comfortable for me (sew in extra layers of foam, re-enforce the sides, etc). On top of which their salespeople aren't random kids like a lot of the Mattress Firm employees that may or may not know what they are talking about.

I don't like shopping or dealing with sales people either and avoided the in store experience with mattresses (didn't want to go lay on mattresses for hours in front of sales people), but you'll waste less time trying to find a mattress that fits you unless you are not very picky when it comes to the feel of the mattress.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

We also have a Leesa and really like it. But in my opinion a mattress is a very personal preference, and you should know exactly the kind of bed you like to sleep on before you buy.

If you like memory foam, you can't go wrong with the online retailers.

7. the shark

the shark Member

I looked at Tempurpedic and Texas Mattress Makers (and like you went with TMM). Very happy thus far!

8. AFS

AFS Member

I also had a good experience with Texas Mattress Makers. They had a really good Black Friday sale on a king sized bed mattress set (including box springs) for $500.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Buying a mattress online without first trying it out seems to me a low quality idea.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bought a Casper 6 months ago and really enjoy it so far. Not sure if anyone here has sent it back but apparently you get 100 nights for free so maybe worth a shot if you don't want to go the store route.

Also think they have them at West Elm if you want to at least lay on it before ordering one.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I haven't had many mattresses over the years but I've never actually tried one before buying. Last time, I went to Costco and bought the only Queen mattress they had in stock. It didn't seem to matter much as far as comfort as I never had an issue. However, now that I'm older, I've been told by my doctor that I have arthritis in my neck (without any actual examination other than talk) and one of my main issues is sleeping position. I sleep in these awkward positions. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I just can't lay on my back and go to sleep staying that way. I've woken up with stiff neck. Sometimes, I sleep with my hands under my pillow and my hands fall asleep...which never used to happen when I was younger.

My mattress is overdue for replacement. I guess I'm going to have to figure it out. Somehow, I don't think I can go in and lay on a mattress saying this is the one. It would take several nights and, even then, I wouldn't know if I don't like the mattress versus my awkward sleeping positions causing issues. I don't have any back pain. But, my neck pain comes and goes. I know I don't sleep with my neck straight in a flat position on your back...which is supposed to be how you sleep. I also can't sleep with anything but a soft pillow. I'm not even sure I know what comfort is anymore.

And, I'm not really that interested in paying a boatload of money for more expensive options breaching the $2k barrier.

In summary, buying a mattress sucks. It may be worse than buying a car if you factor out the cost....assuming you have to try a bunch of mattresses but...even then...you can't really be sure it's the right one till you sleep on it several nights.

#12 Surfguy, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    ramotadab likes this.
  13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Almost all of these online mattress sellers are offering various types of foam mattresses. Most of these companies do not manufacture their products, they pay a foam mattress manufacturer to make the product and then they focus on the marketing.

Some of these online sellers actually have the mattress made in China, others in the USA.

About a year ago I decided to try a foam mattress. I had never owned a foam mattress before. After doing considerable research I purchased a queen size Dreamfoam Arctic dreams mattress off of Amazon for about $250. I wasn't sure I would like a foam mattress, and I was concerned about long term durability, so I didn't want to spend very much on this purchase. I figured if I didn't like it I wasn't out much money so no big deal.

Turns out that Dreamfoam is one of the few online sellers that actually manufactures their own products. Dreamfoam is part of Brooklyn bedding. Brooklyn bedding is located in Phoenix AZ and sells their products under the Dreamfoam name and the Brooklyn bedding name. Dreamfoam and Brooklyn bedding have separate websites and both lines are also sold on Amazon. The reviews on Amazon are very good, but you have to remember that most reviews are for mattresses that are brand new.

So, I've had the mattress about a year now and I'm very pleased with it. The mattress has not sagged in any way. I found the mattress just a little too firm so I placed a cheap foam topper on it and it's very comfortable. Dreamfoam and Brooklyn bedding have a variety of mattresses to choose from and in different price ranges. Mattresses with a latex layer usually ups the price significantly. You can call the company and speak to customer service if you have questions about which mattress would be best for you.

I found a lot of good information on foam mattresses at The Mattress Underground forums. No cost to join the forum for consumers. The guy who runs the forum does charge the online mattress companies a fee to join the forums as sponsors. So, he may not be completely unbiased in some of his opinions. But, there is a lot of good information to be found there in my opinion.

BruceAndre and ramotadab like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We bought one from Saatva, which was the highest rated mattress on Google at the time. It seemed like a fine mattress, but it didn't feel right to us, so we sent it back. Sending it back wasn't a problem. You have to be at home, obviously, when it's delivered and when they pick it up if it doesn't work out. Otherwise, not a bad experience. I wouldn't do that again, though. I like to check them out first, but went along with my significant other. We both have bad backs, so most people might not have had the issues we had with the mattress.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think so. I think trying a mattress out by laying on it for 30 seconds is actually completely useless and gives you a false sense of security. Something that makes a bed comfortable in the first couple of minutes can become very uncomfortable and cause pain after sleeping on it for hours. I much prefer the 100 day return policy.

I got a Ghost bed, and I've been happy with it. The first couple of days I was sore, but it's been better than ever since then.

One thing about the return policy is that it may be different if you buy through Amazon -- and not just for Ghost but all of these guys. When I was shopping I saw a lot of complaints about the return policy being different because of Amazon's requirements, which I think dictates 30 days.

My complaint with Ghost -- and you can perhaps universalize this idea -- is I bought a box spring from them as well. Didn't even think much about that transaction, and I regretted it. Since they're mailing it, you have to put it together yourself. I can and did do that, but they put a lot of work on their customers for it, the finish of the product isn't as nice as what you'd get at a store, and it isn't any cheaper either. So, go ahead and buy your mattress by mail, but drive down to Costco to pick up a boxspring.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, companies actually take back a slept on mattress and then what? Do they repackage it and sell it as new again? Or, use it as parts to build a new mattress?

Can I buy a less than 100 day used mattress and save some money? lol

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Casper actually donates their returns to charities. Not sure what Tempurpedic or Mattress Firm did with the mattresses I returned.

I forgot to mention it, but the return process with Tempurpedic was a hassle. They lied to me and intentionally kept putting me off on getting the mattress scheduled for pick up to try to get me to miss the return window. Casper was very easy to work with. If I remember correctly all it took was an email or two and they actually scheduled Goodwill to come pick up the mattress from me. All they wanted to process the return was a scanned copy of the receipt from Goodwill.

18. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Bought a couple of Purple mattresses on line. The best decision I've made in a long time, took away my lower back pain. That girl in the YouTube commercial is cute too.

19. Asian Sensation

Just build your own.

[​IMG]

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate buying beds. Every store has its own brands and the pricing is completely arbitrary. And you cannot tell what it is like to actually sleep on in store.