1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally!! Root Sports will allow live online streaming

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by WizzyWig, Feb 9, 2017.

1. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

awc713 and eric.81 like this.
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

So, this isn't necessarily the "ROOT IS NOW ON PSVUE!" headline I was hoping for, but it's a start. Basically this is like how the ESPN app works? If you have a cable subscription, you can download an app or whatever, log in with your cable credentials and watch the games there?

So theoretically, if my parents are still UVerse subscribers and gave me their login, I should be able to stream Astros games this year on my Roku, PS4 or SmartTV?

I'll take my answer off the air...

JoeyTexas254 and texans1095 like this.
  3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

They haven't really released the specifics yet since the deal is not finalized. My guess is it would work through an app whether that is a stand alone or one from your provider I don't know. I use DirectTV and I can stream from their app so I am sure this will be at least one option. I normally stream on my iDevice so I can't really speak to the Roku, PS4 or the TV. If you can get your provider's app for those devices then I would assume you'd be able to watch through them. I would also expect that as long as your parents are RootSW subscribers then you would be able to use their log in to stream. I'm looking forward to being able to stream day games at work. I loved being able to watch the playoffs in 2015 while "working" at my desk.

eric.81 likes this.
  4. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Finally, I'll be able to watch the day games at work.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Sounds logical. Thank you @Castor27!

I had to cord cut this year... couldn't take it anymore. Of course a few months later, the Rockets surprisingly turn into a 3 seed and the Astros spend the offseason adding to their already formidable roster. FML...

6. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Yup, almost exactly like the ESPN app. You still need the TV subscription with ROOTSW (or someone you know in Houston needs to have a subscription). This is a huge stepping stone, the hope is that in a year or two DirecTV will include ROOTSW on DirecTV Now (which is currently $35/month for online streaming service).

eric.81 likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If this happens I'll totally cancel my cable and use my mom's login. The Rockets and Astros are nearly the entire reason I pay for cable.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's probably gonna be something restricted to the areas that are blacked out by MLBTV. Otherwise there's no way MLB would condone it. But yeah in the greater Houston area if you wanted MLBTV you wouldn't be able to stream Astros games. Now you can.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just to get this straight... I have UVerse (I'm sure there is a login or something in one of my junk-filled drawers) and can currently watch the Rockets on ch. 1758, I think the Stros were on 1610 or something last season. This means I can stream it now on some site for the day games at work?

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Doesn't affect me much, but congrats to the fans who can now better enjoy the Stros !!!

Great season getting greater.

11. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

What does this mean if you do not live in Houston? Would I still be able to stream this or just subscribe for RootSport Houston?

12. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Well I'm guessing they are still going to check your location before letting you view. Rockets games have a smaller viewing area than Astros. What this means is that here in DFW I could use a relatives account to watch the astros but I would fully expect them to black me out of Rockets games as they have always done. How much will they do about shared accounts is a good question. Industry hasn't pushed back yet so hopefully they remain that way

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Still not official, yet. Sounds encouraging, but I've seen way too many deals involving RSNs seem "promising" only to not materialize.

I'm curious to see if they'll do an IP check, because in theory, one of the huge bonuses of a system like this is that it's easier to keep up with the team if you're out of the Houston market for a while (i.e. travel, vacation, etc.). I know some will argue that would diminish MLBTV interest, but if you have a Houston billing address, you aren't allowed to watch the Astros on MLBTV -- even if your IP is out of the market. My hope is that it's as simple as ESPN3 -- meaning if you have the log-in of a subscriber, that's all you need to watch it anywhere.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

For those of us in Austin (and other areas in the state outside DFW), online streaming would be a solution to the problem of being in a blackout area for the Astros for MLBTV.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't imagine this won't be under the same blackout rules.

16. JoeyTexas254

JoeyTexas254 Member

Does this mean I don't have to buy Mlb extra innings? I live in Virginia and don't get any games out here. I was playing on buying the single team pass and watching it on my ps4

17. strosfan444

strosfan444 Member

For anyone wanting to watch last year's regular season games, a very large number of them (seems like half the season) have been uploaded by MLB to Youtube. This link takes you to them:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="HOU+AT"+2016
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="HOU+AT"+2016

I've watched a few and tried to ask myself, especially when things went wrong in a 2016 game (runner allowed to steal second, poor throw from the OF...) whether the 2017 is more likely or less likely to make that sort of mistake. And in most cases, I 'd say we are ready to have a season that avoids many of the mistakes made in 2016.

LonghornFan and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

That's awesome, thanks!

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sweet! This calls for a Chad Qualls fistpump

[​IMG]

LonghornFan likes this.
  20. Ian78

Ian78 New Member

So, just MLB? No Rockets games yet?

I'm trying out DIRECTV NOW for 3 months (it was a Free Apple TV plus discount on higher channel package for as long as I have it, I had to) and I was hoping Root Sports would be included since it's an AT&T company too.