1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA "Our crowd doesn't usually get their till 8 and we didn't start playing till 8"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Feb 15, 2017.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Yung-T and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's not really playing the blame game, or pointing fingers at the fans. It was towards the end of the interview. But it does really suck to hear your coach say that.

"The energy was dead in the arena. We were dead."

oh, and he called it a Tarp game.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. touring_low

touring_low Member

Shots fired!

But nah, that 7pm tip off is no bueno anyway but then I don't wanna waste my money and energy and go to a game for them to play this pathetic until the last 5mins.

5. underrated015

underrated015 Member

We show up just in time to see ur awesomescrub Brewer in action.

alethios, Rox11, BigggReddd and 3 others like this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why? 7pm gives you plenty of time to get to the game

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not for a lot of people apparently. Maybe they work later, or they have kids, or they want to eat somewhere for else before the game.

Ramo$e and Stormy1234 like this.
  8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Do you live in Houston? NM, just checked it says you live in Denver. That would probably explain why you think 7 pm is plenty of time.

I love your avatar, though.

KDavis, c1utchfan925, Moleb and 2 others like this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I lived in Houston for most of my life. I realize Houston traffic is terrible, but 2ish hours is still plenty of time to get to the game from most places around town. I think 7 is the standard time for most games to start. People still get to games in LA

douglasreedy1 and tinman like this.
  10. touring_low

touring_low Member

Like others have said, it's a terrible time if you live in Houston. The game would've started by the time I get there after getting off work except if it's my off day.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  11. heypartner

I was on the Rockets Fan Council when the Rockets made the switch from 7:30 to 7:00. It was one of our hot topics to discuss.

Just want to add that one of the arguments (probably the most persuasive one ppl made) was fans were leaving early on 7:30 starts. Majority of fans who were surveyed picked the earlier start, and being able to get home earlier was a one of the big reasons. And the majority of fans on the Council picked the earlier start.

The fan survey and Fan Council was not the deciding factor...just one of them.

Les surveyed us STH for a few years in the Summit to see if we wanted the earlier start...almost like he was trying to talk us into it. But it didn't happen until we moved downtown to TC...I think maybe the 2nd year. I still think the main reason was Les was convinced the downtown crowd would be more likely to eat dinner at the TC. He probably had some analytics of other teams with new stadiums in downtown locations that he spun in his mind to convince himself that he would make more money of food/drinks if he opened earlier.

Maybe the data says that. I don't know. But I did think it was odd he kept surveying us, like,,,,until he got the answer he wanted.

The kid reason actually works in favor of the earlier start.

Ziggy, Yung-T, DreamShook and 5 others like this.
  12. touring_low

touring_low Member

I wanna see you drive to Katy during rush hour and expect to make it to TC on time lol

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

If you can get out of work at 6:30 PM and go straight to the game, you should be able to get there by 7 PM. Traffic to get into parking on the other hand might be bad. Getting out of the parking garage was terrible the last time I went as well.

14. Tha_Dude

Lakers games don't start until 7:30 PM local time, same with Dallas and San Antonio. I just looked at the upcoming schedule though and it appears the Rockets will be playing a few starting at 8pm local time, which is a good.

15. Tha_Dude

Interesting, and props to you for being on the council. However, I think the big issue is with the lower bowl section which is mostly made up of corporate seats and not family seats. I would think families are more common on the upper bowl sections which is always filled up for most games.

I would think that the main priority is getting most of those lower bowl seats to fill up by tip off. No?

slothy420, BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Plus the Lakers dim the lighting so you can't really see many empty seats. I wish we did that. The front row seats are celebrity infested, they show up just to mingle and be seen. Rockets front row includes oil tycoons and lawyers who are coming from Men's Club / Treasures. Or never make it from there.

BHannes2BHonest and Tha_Dude like this.
  17. heypartner

Yes. And even that argument pointed to the earlier start, once we moved downtown. I believe that argument is why the time change failed in the Summit, but got traction in the TC downtown location.

People didn't really know what would work or not (because it was new), but they were very receptive to the idea more people would go straight from work to the game, ESPECIALLY the corporate crowd that you mention. Maybe have dinner before, but some games they eat at TC.

Going straight to the game from work or dinner out was a hot argument....along with leaving earlier.

ppl say Houston is special because of the traffic, but Houston is also special because ppl eat out A LOT. I'm sure there are a lot of fans who never go home between work and the game, and actually like it that way.

Anyhoot, just passing on how the debate went with fans. The debate on this BBS seems pretty skewed to one way of thinking compared to what I heard at the meetings. And btw, I voted No to the change.

18. Tha_Dude

I think the problem is that many people overlook the fact that people office all over the metro area and surrounding suburbs, not just in downtown.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  19. heypartner

You talk like it's a foregone conclusion that Rockets have a problem that can be fixed with a later start. That's what I mean by this BBS is skewing the argument, like we actually can define the problem and fix it.

Maybe maybe no. The Summit wasn't much better, and we had a problem with ppl leaving earlier....which is equally bad, if not worse.

Could be more cultural than picking a time. Maybe Houston fans simply won't sit through 4 quarters of bball, as much as other cities.

20. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I get there before game start and lots of fans on the concourse. Lots of fans in arena, but at long concession lines, the club level tables are full and alive. Upper level and corners have fans in seats. The start time isn't the problem. Lots of fans in line for autographs for OT tonight. Let's not blame the corporate seats that don't show up until after dinner outside of TC for the low energy of Rocket players. It just wasn't clicking. What is the answer for hurt Bev??? Starting and playing Brewer in 2nd half. We need minor adjustments.

Little Bit and heypartner like this.