1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston fans honor Olajuwon with long standing ovation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. alethios

alethios Member

Wow, I had tears in my eyes. What he has done for the Houston Rockets and the city of Houston can't be quantified or put enough words, but he will always have a special place in my Rockets heart.

Balldon'tlie, BigMaloe and Clutch like this.
  3. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Greatest Houston athlete period. Not even close.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Most of the kids were all Jordan this, Magic that, but Dream was always my hero on the court. He's a big reason why when everyone was jacking up long fade aways or driving with their tongue hanging, I was playing in the post when we were all kids playing basketball during recess. Dream made the post game FUN.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Honorable mentions: Earl Campbell, Sheryl Swoopes, Carl Lewis

CCity Zero and bloodwings19 like this.
  6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio

MajorSeanBond and alethios like this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Never heard of any of them except Lewis but guarantee they don't even come close to touching Dream, not even close. They all pale in comparison

Dream was, is and will always be the greatest Houston athlete of all time.

Balldon'tlie likes this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Awesome. :)

How great was Hakeem? He was picked before Michael Jordan and no one, not even the national media, has ever questioned it.

Fyreball, Deckard, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It was a good standing ovation, but it wasn't very crowded.

I wish they did it on a big weekend game.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Agreed. I had to hold back the emotion because I was with my girl but I'm sure I had a gleam in my eye.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So true, the only thing I think about is knowing now that Sampson was going to be injured is if the Rockets could have gotten that 2nd/3rd pick by trade... Olajuwon and Jordan together.

I just think it's crazy that Portland passed on both Jordan and Durant, so insane, that's what's going to be discussed forever for the Trailblazers, no one in their right mind would question the Olajuwon pick though.

12. Mr. Motiejunas

What about JJ Fatt? :p

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"We go from here."

- Hakeem after the Game 7 loss to the Sonics in 1993

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I know you won't know him, but Brock Osweiler has to be in that discussion. You're missing out on one of Houston's all time greats.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

That was a nice video, but I expected more somehow. Very surprised they didn't show his MVP trophy sharing moment.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  16. BleedsRocketRed

For somebody with such a stature in Rockets, and Houston sports history I honestly expected more. That was a little weak.

I cannot explain enough how important he was to the city of Houston. The Rockets could have done this A LOT better than they did.

And WTF is his day being done on a Tuesday? This should be a weekend day MINIMUM

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Dream wasn't there, there would not be Clutch City.

Without Clutch City and the fans of Houston being fiercely dedicated to the team that won them their first championship ever, Les would have moved the team to Louisville Kentucky.

18. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Portland also offered us Drexler and in addition to the #2 pick for Sampson. Could've had Dream, Jordan, and Drexler as the building blocks for the better part of 2 decades.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Glad that this guy is Houston's greatest sports icon. Even if Harden wins multiple championships he can't supersede Dream.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't take a back seat to anyone as a Rocket fan or a fan of Olajuwon. Heck, I remember seeing Dream's tall skinny self on the UH campus when he was a red shirt freshman, and I started following the Rockets when they drafted Elvin Hayes. Where I have a problem is when I remember the Tyler Rose playing for the Oilers. For a stretch, he was the greatest football player I have ever seen play the game. I feel the same way about Dream. He's the greatest basketball player I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a few. The gentleman deserves every honor that can be bestowed upon him from a grateful city, and from countless fans like me.