1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

C'mon now. He's not Ted****ing Williams or Joe Dimaggio or Duke Snider or Larry Walker or Dave Parker or Reggie Jackson or Vlad or Clemante...or whoever corner OFer you want to talk about. Not yet at least...

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's not any of those guys but he is Shawn Green 2.0. o_O

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

Will be interesting to watch Tucker develop. That said you just compared him to the greatest hitter ever.

4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Wasn't Progs just making a play off of Peter Gammons, who compared Kyle Tucker's swing to that of Ted Williams' swing when we first drafted him? I thought that was a running joke (with a tiny slimmer of hope that it might actually come to fruition). That's how I interpreted it anyway.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's no joke.... he really is the next Ted Williams.

And was it Gammons or Harold Reynolds? NM, I think it was Gammons. Reynolds is the one who said that Appel would be the best pitcher in the MLB rotation at the time he was drafted.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So is this the place to comment about the rumor that the cryogenics place froze a can of tuna to the frozen severed head of Ted Williams?

7. awc713

awc713 Member

Gammons on Tucker starts at 2:12

desihooper, mikol13 and Houstunna like this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He definitely has a similar swing. Doesn't mean much though. Swing is only one component, and players succeed with a large variety of swings.

9. the shark

the shark Member

Thanks for providing that awc

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Haha, no problem. Sitting around while a fractured tibia heals is incredibly boring, so I've probably been posting a tad too much recently.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Hope you're not in too much pain and heal quickly!!

awc713 likes this.
  12. strosfan444

strosfan444 Member

Just a prediction for Spring Training batting averages among the main 1B candidates -

Gurriel - .310
    Moran - .265
    Gonzalez - .285
    Reed - .255
    White - .330

If White did indeed bat best among the eligible first basemen during ST, I have to wonder how that will play into the early-season lineup. Gurriel is making the big bucks and has the experience, so will probably be used over White even if he is somewhat underperforming White at the plate. Neither are known as defensive wizards.

However it will be hard for Hinch to keep White on the bench too much if he emerges as one of the team's leading hitters, which I think he has a fair chance to do (reportedly he's lost 30 pounds or so over the winter, compared to Reed gaining 20 - and not of the muscle type). DH is a possibility for White on some game days, but then there is heavy competition for that with Beltran/Gattis/McCann.

Overall I've been surprised how White has been left out of most off-season discussions. He's consistently exceeded expectations in his career, so it makes sense to wonder what would happen if he does so again during ST.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think he exceeded in the very beginning but then fell off (like the opposite of Bregman). If anything, I see him at 1B and Gurriel at LF with Beltran at DH, and Gattis sitting. To be honest I thought they should try to include Gattis in a trade. Like Gattis/Martes for Quintana... would that be fair?

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You think White exceeded in the beginning? :)

houstonstime likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You don't think White exceeded in the beginning?

16. conquistador#11

My friends, I thought it was april already.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You missed my smily face and the intent of the bolded "think". Of course White exceeded the first two weeks of the season.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

White was at Fanfest and he said he lost 30 pounds. Interested to see how he performs in the Spring.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

said it before, but I love the offseason/preseason cliches....gained 15 pounds of muscle, lost 15 pounds, best shape of my life, will do whatever the coaches want, etc...

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ouch, how'd you do that?? Or did I just stumble upon Clint Capela's alt account??