1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you pay Johnny Manziel for an autograph?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by deb4rockets, Jan 15, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that Johnny Manziel will be signing autographs at a couple malls two days before the Super Bowl, here in Houston. He's going to charge $99 for an autograph, or an extra $50 for a selfie with him, or something around that range. Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind would pay that arrogant guy money to get his autograph when he basically threw away the chance he was given to be an NFL quarterback? Not me!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of those malls is Katy Mills. Everyone in Katy would pay him that. That's Katy for you. NEXT.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. vick

vick Member

I would pay to not have his autograph.

macho87 and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Being a washout in the NFL doesn't excuse all the accomplishments he had at A&M. As an Aggie, I'd love to have his autograph on some form of A&M memorabilia.

That said, this is purely a cash grab. I think the dude is floundering right now, and instead of promoting his brand / signing autographs for like, $10 each, he's charging a ridiculous amount of money. I don't think even JJ Watt's agents would charge that much money for an autograph session, and he's way more beloved in Houston than Manziel.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's pretty much my point! Why would anyone pay that kind of money for an autograph of a guy who was great in college. I personally don't like arrogant players, so I wouldn't want an autograph for free. I guess that's why I loved Andre Johnson so much. He was the best in his prime, but was never cocky or arrogant about his game.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess it's a good investment if you believe supply may be constrained at some point.

RocketWalta, BigM and Vanilla Thunder like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So you're saying Katy will be flooded with autographs.

Evacuation needed?

BigM likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think maybe just A&M fans would pay him, but not everyone. Many don't like much about him, and wouldn't want to satisfy his ego.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Only if he throws in a complimentary line of cocaine off his new girlfriend's ass. ;)

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

I see what you did there.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A lot of people collect Heisman Trophy winners so it's not surprising. He may be an NFL wash out and an idiot but he'll always have that Heisman.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

$99 is pretty expensive, but not completely out of line for a recent Heisman winner's autograph near his fan base. His college accomplishments stand on their own merit and go down as some of the greatest ever for a QB. Not to mention a rabid A&M fan base.

The biggest issue he has isn't that he's an NFL wash out...it is that he's a giant douche that has alienated even a lot of passionate A&M fans. THAT is what should drive down his autograph price to the $50-60 range.

If he cleaned up his image some (people are forgiving), he could make a decent living on the autograph circuit for a while.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I have no interest in his autograph at all but if you want to compare it to what tri star shows charge for comparative autographs, it's not out of line by too much. 79 would probably be better.

14. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I'd pay him to shine my shoes but he'd have to do a good job.

I think it's important to teach drug addicts a work ethic so they can reintegrate back into civil society.

Fulgore likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i'm always surprised when folks are surprised people would do something or would not do something. 325 million people in this country. you will find many people willing or unwilling to do or not do something no matter what it is or isn't.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Think A&M ers would have interest. Just like I have interest in Keenum, but it really won't go much further than that and will have no value long term because even as a tragic figure he's not memorable. It seems like bad medicine and bad aircraft have value for some reason, but rarely bad players.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Who's johnny manziel?

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He should go to Greenspoint Mall.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He'll have interest from the "college only" collectors (of which there are quite a few). His sucky NFL doesn't take away that he was one of the greatest NCAA players ever and won a Heisman.

You are correct, however, that it won't retain a lot of value over time.