1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden Stats Thread [2016/2017]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Nov 7, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yao would still get his and could dominate people on offense, but I agree with your overall point. He was a good defender in the paint because of his size, but he was slow and lumbering. Teams would kill us by spacing the floor and shooting over us. The Jazz were poison to us because Yao couldn't deal with their ability to score from the 4/5 without going into the paint. Okur and Boozer gave me nightmares. Now the entire NBA has guys like that.

2. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

no bro. don't imagine the warriors looking at yao, but yao looking at the warriors. #tasty

3. Louka

do you not see our struggles on boards? Man, a healthy Yao would be hella good with this squad. Most 5's in the league can have all the midrange jumpers they want. All else, insert Capela.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Harden is gonna lose us a big game by chasing stats... didn't like last night when passed the open layup for a pass to get the triple double

micah1j likes this.
  5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Yao was already useless against Carlos Boozer. In this era, Yao would be absolutely OBSOLETE.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Stop it

Tha_Dude and BigMaloe like this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yao gave Boozer all the midrange shots he wanted and he feasted. He beat us with the worst shot in basketball because Yao couldn't guard guys with range. Yao was great offensively, but he was Hibbert defensively and that style of defense is ineffective in today's game. Mobility trumps size now. I'm a huge Yao fan. I became a Rockets fan and joined this site because of him, but he would not be as effective in today's NBA.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

Maybe so, but that big doofus looking dude (Boban Marwhateverhisnameis) put up 15 and 19 a few days ago so I think Yao would figure it out. Defense would certainly be interesting to watch just as you suggested. Not sure what he would do against these inside out guys like Cousins, Davis, and Towns. Could get very ugly real fast.

D-rock likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Boban also needed oxygen after playing 24 minutes that game.

vator likes this.
  10. micah1j

micah1j Member

I do feel he was chasing assist in the third Q. I don't think he was doing it in the 4th. Trust he would not do that in a close game.

11. Louka

i will not allow you to talk down about yao. If we're creating unrealistic scenarios, Yao would be the GOAT in today's nba!!!

:p

12. Classic

Classic Member

That was a well defended layup if he had gone up with it. Ryan Anderson was wide open at the top of the key. I like the pass on that play.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but not much, how many assist from 3s does Harden have. Just turn them into 2 and re-compare per 48 minutes since archibald played 46mpg

Conversely, we can't assume Archibald's teammates make many 3s even if the rules allowed it. Maybe they try and miss more and he gets less assists

Any hoot, what is "skewing that stat" is Archibald's 46mpg which is never allowed anymore. Not even close to it. Harden blows him out of the water in per possession pts

And that is assuming all the assists were from 3pt distance. His teammates likely aren't shooting All the assists from there and probably not capable of it at 100% if they moved out there. If they try theylikely miss some so he gets less assists if they move out to 3pt land.

#233 heypartner, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I saw what you saw. If it was another team like the Spurs, Cavs, or GSW, I don't think he starts to chase those stats. First time I've seen it from him this season. Harden was toying with Charlotte the whole game. When he finally did get his stats it was like, "OK, it's time"

I was disappointed, but no one will remember that game just the win and the triple double.

15. MistaK

MistaK Member

D-rock likes this.
  16. basketballholic

There is a place still in this current fast break pace and space NBA for a huge plodding big like Yao or Boban that can shoot, pass, and post. It's called the playoffs, when the games slow down and evolve back into half court contests.

No, the game is not built around post up bigs anymore. But when the games slow down for minutes at a time like they do in the post season and there is a series of half court possessions, then giants like Yao and Boban make their mark.

I'd love to have Boban on this roster. He's the perfect foil against teams like Memphis and Utah.

vator likes this.
  17. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Our man is leading the league in minutes played, and hasn't missed a game in the past two seasons.

He's just a workhorse.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Anyone else sick of the obsession with triple doubles? ESPN salivating over Harden getting another 40 pt one , meanwhile we lost to a bad team, he shot 12-30, and had a bunch of turnovers.

Without context it's hard for me to get impressed over ~10 rebounds or assists. These categories could easily be padded by having a high usage rate or the other team playing a high pace. What kind of rebound was it, an uncontested one or a hard fought offensive rebound?

#238 WhoMikeJames, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    basketballholic and T for 3 like this.
  19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Sorry I don't really think games slow down in the playoffs. It did before in a different era, but in this era
    so upset you said it twice, but yes I do.

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I agree with all of this. you know what I enjoy more, fluid team basketball and wins. I am pretty sure Harden agrees, but sometimes I have my doubts. The obsession with stats in general bothers me. I agree with JVG, it takes away from the game.