1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

You can't wait which is how you missed on on jimmy g but you can't also just take one because you have a need. That's how you end up with bortles, gabbert, ponder, etc. If the Texans think they can choose one and mold him into a solid starter, then go ahead. However I don't trust this brain trust to make the right pick at qb

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The key is to remain flexible to adjust if needed.

Sometimes, you don't always realize what you have till you give them a chance.

I keep going back to how Bill Belichick wanted to stick with Drew Bledsoe while he knew plenty about Tom Brady, having watched him in OTA's, pre-season, and practice everyday.

I also remember how Bill Parcells chose Bledsoe while he had a young/spry Tony Romo on the bench (who always looked better than Bledsoe in pre-season games, etc.).

So, either Drew Bledsoe just pulls the wool over these genius' eyes just long enough... or there's a large element of the unknown with any NFL player, especially QB, that doesn't get revealed till you actually put them in games that matter.

3. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Shaub, Mallet, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Yates are all free agents. Let's sign all of them and have each QB play two games each next season along with Brock and Savage. It will be like a Texans QB reunion. The team can market it as "The Texans QB greatest failures tour". That's the way to go.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

9-7. OB can only get so erect.

5. CallMeTheDream

Praying to God we select one of Watson, Trubisky, or Kaaya. Whatever they decide to do just please don't pick Pat Mahommes. If that doesn't work out maybe we could pull off a trade for Bradford since Bridgewater will be back or maybe Tannehill is available? And of course there's the Romo option just kind of brainstorming here.

6. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

I hope the Texans don't use a first round pick on a QB. I just don't think there's one worthy of a first round selection. Texans need OL and a middle linebacker that can cover just as bad.

7. Buck Turgidson

Have the Texans had a good coverage LB since Mike Mohamed? Whatever happened to him anyway?

#67 Buck Turgidson, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

That name sounds familiar

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Better make sure Mallet has alarm clocks all over his house.

10. Buck Turgidson

Just looked, he's out of the league now. Don't know if he got hurt or what, but that was the one thing he did quite well in his couple of years here.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You should be proud of those great qbs

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I wonder if this means the O'Brien will be the OC as well.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would be such a mistake. They need more voices in the building, not less.

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya I've been wondering this as well

Roc Paint likes this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

What does this mean? Vrabel gets more money/title change, but the structure and job functions remain the same? Or is Romeo giving up play-calling duties on the defensive side and just overseeing maybe?

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's kinda my feeling on it. Give Vrabel the every day duty, coaching and learn the how-to's of playcalling from a master chess player....retain Crennel's experience and leadership and put him in position to kinda assume some HC duties while O'Brien works with the offense. So whenever O'Brien has to focus in on something (like an OC would) there's an experienced, trusted hand guiding the ship.

I figure whatever "OC" they bring in now will really just be an assistant to OB. They may roll without a titled "OC" kinda like they did the first year where Godsey was really just QB coach right? Groom someone and sorta make em earn the title.

I'm happy Vrabel got his gig though. With JJ coming back, another year of experience and Vrabel's coaching the whole unit they might go all-timer.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

Texans were already the best defense this season.

Why change defensive coordinators now?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Get the feeling it'll be a raise with new title but no change in game day duties. Not sure you can pull play calling duties from Romeo after the job he did.