1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Expansion: Sonics Probably Returning

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Would we still only get to protect 8 players if 2 expansion teams formed?

2. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Mexico City has a great basketball fan base BUT what athlete would want to live there? It's dangerous AF and if you bust a Jeremy Lin type performance in the PO they probably kill you. Mexico at this point I think is way too risky but Seattle, Louisville, & Vegas is interesting.

Deuce and malakas like this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would definitely be at or near the bottom of desirable free agent destinations lol.

ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  4. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Agree.
    Yea millions in US dollars goes a super long way in Mexico but can't even enjoy it for risk of being kidnaped and held for ransom

5. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

I really don't know why, either. My guess is that it's due to the fact that the city has become so damn expensive. Most of the legit sports fans live outside the city. It's a damn shame too, bc I feel like the city could be an enticing destination for free agents.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You know people in Mexico thought the same about LA. :p

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Before I hated Utah there was nothing worse than the Supersonics and Dale Ellis' ugly under bite. Xavier McDaniel, Chambers, Liston, McMillian.....pure hate for that team and that's not going over the 2nd coming in Payton, Kemp, Schrempf, those teams might have prevented a 3rd Rocket Championship more than Jordan.

Astrodome and A_3PO like this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Minnesota, they have 3 or 4 EC teams closer than any WC team.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought it was interesting that Merriweather was adamant that no professional sport would work in Las Vegas because of the gambling. He basically looked at everyone dumbfounded they would even consider it.

10. Rokman

Rokman Member

The league needs to contract not expand. Too many stars are abandoning their team to creat super teams because they want that ring. Sadly, there is not enough talent in basketball for under dogs to have a snowball's chance in hell of ever winning. Stacked teams and Future Hall of Fame players win the vast majority of cChampionships and then there is the Detroit Pistons who had B+ to A- players across the board and we're ready to grind you into the ground (Rocky style). I think the league needs to cut some of the fat and get it to actually be more competitive. Condense the talent.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The NBA is a business and all about the money first and foremost.

They make way to much money to drop a team(s) for competitive balance.

I hope Seattle gets a team. They should have never left in the first place. Seattle is a great city and a very good sports town.

Space Ghost likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

There is more than enough talent to expand. The league hasn't been in a better place than now in that regard. Almost every team has a star or prospects with star talent.
    It's ridiculous that more than half the league makes the playoffs each year. At least with the expansion it will be 50%.

13. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Seeing as how the whole article reads almost like a sales pitch for expansion ("check out how well we're doing! Never been a better time to get an NBA team!") I'd guess the "sources" are pretty much the league itself, so I guess expansion is pretty much a given at this point. Shame, I really wanna see the Sonics back (and Memphis moving East is way overdue) but I do think the league is too-heavy enough as is to water down the talent pool even further. Shame.

da_juice likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Give them KD back!

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

but will more teams still make the playoffs that not?

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

One of favorite early memories of the Rockets is Akeem throwing hands with Cage.

ooooaaaah! likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

16 out of 32 would make the playoffs...it's unclear at this point whether that is more teams in the playoffs than not.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Luckily for us, we don't have much worth taking after 8- although I wonder who you don't protect out of Harrell, Nene, and Dekker. The other two are younger, but nene is on a very cheap (and therefore movable) contract

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

so when there is a new expansion team, they get free drafts for ANY players they want outside of a team's top 8?

was that what happened with the bobcats?

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah. Teams can also trade picks, to entice them to take certain players, which is probably what we would do (offer a 1st so they take Brewer or a 2nd to take ennis). However you can only take from a team once

Jontro likes this.