1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Major

Major Member

There's no indication that either the Chargers or Saints don't want their QB. Again, when is the last time a decent QB that a team wanted to keep actually left their team? It simply doesn't happen in the NFL.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Broncos wanted to keep Brock. At the time, they felt he was decent.

Backup or castoff QB's with talent are inconsistently consistently available. Alex Smith, Manning, Brees, Palmer, Bradford... hell, even RG3. Some of them work out, some of them don't.

They still cost a lot, it's still a gamble. Then again, so was Brock.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Jimmy John's and Jimmy Changas >>>> Jimmy G

4. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Trade up to draft a qb and to get rid of Ric smith and Assweiler.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If we can add Rivers, subtract Brock, and resign Bouye, I'd sacrifice entire draft.

#25 Houstunna, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I really believe with Romo we could have won the Super Bowl this year. If you can somehow get him you do it. NO MATTER WHAT.

We can't continue to waste these great years from Watt... Clowney etc

I am a Donut and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Rick Smith still out GM..... so.............
    We are screwed!!!!!
    I have zero faith in that guy pulling any good trade off let alone drafting a QB in the draft.

8. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

No to Glorified backups also isn't the asking price a first and fourth.

Beg Rivers to come at half his asking price

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Why can't we trade Osweiler and, say, a 3rd round pick for Romo? Cowboys are able to move on from Romo's contract and get a high pick on top of that. Use our 1st and 2nd on O-linemen with Nick Martin coming back, the line should be just fine. I don't trust this team to draft and groom a QB.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Romo is a very good QB. Or at least he was the last time he was healthy. However, he is so fragile it's impossible for me to believe he can give us a healthy season next year.

If the price is dirt cheap I'd gamble on him, but it's complicated. I'd want him, a backup other than Osweiler and maybe a draft pick. Are the Texans going to cut Osweiler? Because a QB setup of Osweiler/Romo is almost a guaranteed Osweiler season. Again.

I'm a BIG fan of Jimmy G so would be very interested in that deal depending on cost.

11. Mr. Space City

Romo got hurt behind the best offensive line in football but he's gonna stay healthy with the Texans o-line? Lmao

Hakeemtheking and macho GRANDE like this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I disagree. We also need receivers that can catch a ball that hits them in the hands, and we need some linemen that can pass block. We need a lot more than one player.

Solving the QB problem this offseason will be very difficult, if not impossible. Romo and Jimmy G could probably be acquired if we want to give up the farm. But, are either one of those guys a sure thing or a long term solution? If the Texans are forced to give up multiple draft picks, then the player acquired needs to be a can't miss long term solution.

The Texans have too many holes to fill to be giving up valuable draft picks for a QB. I think Brock is untradeable at this point, so I see the Texans going into next season with Brock and Savage battling it out for the starting position. It wouldn't surprise me if the Texans drafted a QB in the mid to late rounds of the draft.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To all the people saying we need to wheel and deal with other teams (Jimmy G, Rivers, etc), you guys realize our GM is Rick Smith, right? I'm not even sure he has the phone numbers of all 31 other GMs.

mario elie and mario_v like this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Look at his game tape.

Looks like the real deal seeing how fast he goes through reads.

15. Mr. Space City

He was that fast before he got injured too.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Be weary of QBs shining early. There's no game film.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The main plus with Jimmy G is that he has been immersed in a similar system to what BOB runs, and has gotten the chance to understudy to the proto-typical QB for the BOB system. We've seen what just a few years in a system can do for a QB like Savage, who doesn't possess the full mental and physical talents that Garappolo has had over him going back to their prospect status.

But certainly, all his smarts of the system and sound fundamentals could easily change once he gets exposed to a few too many hits.... that's often what makes a QB who looks great in practice and pre-season just a mediocre one in actual games.

The Pats have to be listening to offers. Brady isn't going anywhere within the next 2 years... and Jimmy's value (in terms of what you could get in a trade) is at an all-time high.

18. Fantasma Negro

BO'B needs to do whatever it takes to get Rivers here

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

Ryan Mallet was in that system too, how's that working out

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So was Hoyer and Cassel.

Obviously its not just being the system.... its being in the system and possessing the requisite mental state and physical tools to succeed.

Like I said, once guys actually take a few hits, everything could change... but as of now, other than having only a few actual games of experience (which was more than Hoyer or Mallet had when they got their opportunities), there aren't any glaring red flags.

There's also the fact that the Pats have refused to talk trade with him before... they obviously like him more than some of their previous castoffs. They know that Brady won't play forever... but if you make them the type of offer that teams tend to make on draft day, they would likely listen.

(and honestly, how is he any more of a risk than any of the unproven #1 or #2 picks of the draft that teams end up trading multiple picks for... if anything, he's much more of a known/safe commodity).