1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

i mean, I can't be the only one who sees it this clearly, right?

2. Mr. Space City

No to jimmy g.

Haven't we learned our lesson from glorified backups?

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

U don't have the cap room for Romo. Texans are not giving up a 1st and 4th for Jimmy G..

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No to Romo.

Maybe to Jimmy G. Not sure though. Maybe for a second round pick?

I'm only trading them a first if they take some of Brock's cap space so we can cut him.

5. Fullcourt

Cap should be raising by 10 Mil. Absolutely doable.

thesonofsam likes this.
  6. Fullcourt

We have a ready made roster and these are the only options to compete. I really don't see another solution.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Romo dies behind this o-line and he's a temporary solution. Jimmy G will cost you too much and after seeing this game with our defense and knowing our offense is one good QB away from being amazing, Pats might try to get even more from us than a 1st and 4th. For the love of God, I want to draft someone in the 1st 3 rounds

8. Fullcourt

Signing Romo is definitely a bandaid solution, and it wouldn't stop us from drafting a qb. If he dies, he dies.

9. hou96

hou96 Member

I don't trust our management to get the better end of this deal in a Jimmy G trade. Would love to have Romo but think Texans want to use their cap space elsewhere (OL, CB, WR).

Richie_Rich likes this.
  10. CallMeTheDream

It really sucks that you can't look to free agency when it comes to qbs. I say we go all in on deshaun watson.

Fullcourt and red5rocket like this.
  11. Fullcourt

I feel that would be more expensive than a Jimmy G deal, and you need to get a QB that can win us playoff games NEXT year. Typically, a rookie isn't going to do that.

12. dmoneybangbang

The trick is being able to move Brock and his last year while picking up a new QB.

I've said it before, Rivers is the one we should be looking to swap for. It's a long shot as it relies on Rivers wanting out before they move to LA, but we'd be able to swap Brock out for picks if Rivers demanded out. Rivers contract only counts $1 million more than Brock, while the cap is set to rise next year. Again, a very long shot but it offers us a win now move at the expense of draft picks.

Fullcourt, JamalP., Von Rafer and 4 others like this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Romo doesn't have to play behind this line. He has to play behind next years line which will have a talent infusion and more experience in the system. Also securing Romo doesn't stop you from drafting an heir apparent. In fact, it's ideal. Romo has been a great mentor to Dak.

Fullcourt likes this.
  14. blackistan

blackistan Member

The fact that we could've had JG back in the 2014 draft along with either carr or bridgewater hurts. I don't understand why this team never drafts qbs even later on in the draft to either develop them or even use as trade bait, the more you draft the better chance you have of finding a diamond in the rough.

macho87 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

This is an important thing to note. Any team that wants to keep their QB *always* does. The only time decent QBs are available are when a team accidentially ends up with 2 great ones - Manning and Brees are the most recent examples, expendable only because Luck and Rivers existed. Otherwise, you'll almost never get a good QB in free agency.

To the OPs point, Romo is one of those rare opportunities. If there's any way to get him, you do it - those kinds of opportunities come around once every 5-10 years. Maybe he only lasts 1 year - or less. Or maybe he gives you 3-4 like Manning did after people thought he was done (remember when the Texans weren't interested because of the risk? Great call there...) Who knows how it plays out - but adding him to the roster, even if you have to shed a few pieces here or there to clear cap space, instantly makes this team a SB contender, which is the whole point of all this.

Jimmy G is an interesting option - it's the Matt Schaub route, which was a reasonable option for many years. It's a risk, but if it costs a first-round pick and the staff feels he's as good as any other 1st round QB pick would be, then it's worth it. The question there is just what the team thinks of him - he's not proven like a Romo is.

16. Fullcourt

I'm not buying Rivers forcing his way out. No leverage and I just don't see him throwing a hissy fit to land in another city he's not used to. He would be ideal but I see Romo/Jimmy as exponentially more realistic options.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They've drafted plenty, they just sucked ass. Savage, TJ Yates(Bengal Killer), Alex Brink, BJ Symons, Drew Henson, Dave Ragone, David Carr, they also picked up Keenum though he was undrafted. Dave Ragone was a 3rd round pick LOL!!!

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Almost anyone would be better than Brock Osweiler.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Romo got hurt taking a hit behind his OWN OL. It's not gonna take a sack to put him on the injury list, it could be any of the run-of-the-mill type physicality that the QB is commonly subjected to.

DunKingDanny likes this.
  20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Trade for either Rivers or Brees. Both are still very capable qb's. It may cost the Texans quite a bit (e.g. Watts), but a capable qb is really the only thing missing for a real SB run.